The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 05-09-2021, 11:24 AM

Default Just scored a killer deal (Kentucky Mandolin)!

I have been eyeing a more high end mandolin for years, but haven’t been able to justify the high prices. In my Celtic band, I have been relying on the Godin A8 which is great live but obviously not all that inspiring unplugged. I have some other lower priced acoustic mandolins, but again, nothing incredible.

For years, I have had my eye on the Kentucky KM-1500, which is their premier mandolin and it gets a ton of praise. It is not an easy brand to find here in Canada but it is listed on Amazon. The Amazon posting is generally listed at $3000-34000 but for some reason, it dropped significantly over the past three weeks. It just got to $1700 and I grabbed it immediately. I can’t believe the deal I got. I literally just saved at least $1200!

I just had to post this somewhere!
Old 05-09-2021, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I have been eyeing a more high end mandolin for years, but haven’t been able to justify the high prices. In my Celtic band, I have been relying on the Godin A8 which is great live but obviously not all that inspiring unplugged. I have some other lower priced acoustic mandolins, but again, nothing incredible.

For years, I have had my eye on the Kentucky KM-1500, which is their premier mandolin and it gets a ton of praise. It is not an easy brand to find here in Canada but it is listed on Amazon. The Amazon posting is generally listed at $3000-34000 but for some reason, it dropped significantly over the past three weeks. It just got to $1700 and I grabbed it immediately. I can’t believe the deal I got. I literally just saved at least $1200!

Scott, Enjoy! and photos when you get it, please.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 05-09-2021 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-09-2021, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

Great deal... congratulations!
Old 05-09-2021, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

That's a great deal, it's back up in price now. I bought a Deering Terry Baucom banjo from them several years ago when they lowered the price $2000. They'll do that sometimes and once one is gone they'll raise the price back up.

Enjoy your new mandolin!
Martin J-40 Adi custom 2018
Martin OM-28 Adi Gruhn Special
McPherson Sable
Fender American Professional II Telecaster
Fender American Professional II Stratocaster
Northfield Big Mon Engleman top
Northfield Big Mon Adirondack top
Companion custom woody banjo
Fender '68 custom Vibro Champ Reverb amp
Old 05-09-2021, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post

Wow! That's a great deal!
Old 05-09-2021, 04:06 PM

Thanks everyone! I am definitely excited. The last time I watched it drop this low, I waited one more day to see if it would go lower and I guess someone bought it because it went back up to $3200. That was devastating. I guess I just didn't need it at that time!

I also scored a Trinity College Bouzouki, which goes for $1200 new here in Canada, for $600 a few years ago on Amazon as well. It doesn't do this with a lot of products but I do find folk instruments tend to drop significantly at times. I guess the market/demand just isn't as high for them. Maybe next I will score a banjo!

I will post pics once it arrives.
Old 05-09-2021, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

Those master series Kentuckys are pretty good. You'd have to get a Northfield F5S to do much better and that's a lot of money. Bet the Kentucky has prettier wood too. Get a good setup.

I'm at the point where I'd need to buy a Northfield Big Mon, Collings or Gibson to get better. Significant investment.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 05-09-2021, 10:23 PM

Congratulations.

Br1ck’s suggestion that you get a good setup is advice you should heed. On mandolin, setup makes all the difference in the world, considerably more so than on guitar.

whm
Old 05-10-2021, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Those master series Kentuckys are pretty good. You'd have to get a Northfield F5S to do much better and that's a lot of money. Bet the Kentucky has prettier wood too. Get a good setup.

I'm at the point where I'd need to buy a Northfield Big Mon, Collings or Gibson to get better. Significant investment.
For sure. Collings, Weber etc, are the top builders and you definitely pay if you want that type of mandolin. That's a lot of coin though and I think if I was primarily a mandolin player, I would consider those. I kind of see the Kentucky 900 and up models and Eastman 515/615 as being professional instruments, but obviously not the highest end out there.

Mandolins, octave mandolins, bouzoukis etc, are kind of available in three levels IMO. Level one is the lower priced mandolins (Epiphone, Gold Tone, lower priced Eastman & Kentucky). These are not bad at all but definitely more beginner models. Level two are the higher end Eastman and Kentucky models. Asian imports but very well made. The Kentucky 900 and up models are not even close to the lower models and I have read that they are not even made in the same factory. Level three is a massive leap in price and that's Collings, Weber etc. For what I saved, I could probably sell this mandolin and get a used Collings but I really just wanted a mandolin I could be proud of, I don't necessarily need one that I am afraid to take out lol.

In terms of set up, I am absolutely getting that done. It will come with the bridge off and I don't even want to attempt that set up. My Trinity College Bouzouki came the same way. I strung is up and tried it for fun but the angle of the bridge on those helps with intonation so I need to get both set up!
Old 05-10-2021, 12:13 PM

Congrats on scoring a great deal. Does it include the case?

You could even go higher in Levels: Level 4 for the likes of an Ellis, Level 5 for the likes of a Gilchrist or a Dudenbostel, and Level 6 for vintage Gibson Lloyd Loars.
Old 05-10-2021, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Mandolins are certainly befuddling little things. I bought a Michael Kelly F style on closeout to practice setup on for my upcoming mandolin build. I was playing it all the time. Why? F style disease.

Northfield and Collings are what I can get my hands on, and so far I've liked the Northfield Big Mon over the Collings. Time to look for a used one I guess. I'd really rather have a 20 year old luthier build, but that would take a real leap of faith. I don't want to wait for an adi top to open up either.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Fluke tenor ukulele

Old 05-10-2021, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfoo6952 View Post
Congrats on scoring a great deal. Does it include the case?

You could even go higher in Levels: Level 4 for the likes of an Ellis, Level 5 for the likes of a Gilchrist or a Dudenbostel, and Level 6 for vintage Gibson Lloyd Loars.
It does! And yes, I totally could have added more levels, I was just looking at it from the perspective of what you would normally find in a store.

The fiddle player in my band just went through this all but it's even harder with violin. You basically have low priced or average mandolins, ones made by luthiers that are just insanely expensive or vintage. She ended up going vintage. I can't remember what she paid but it was thousands.
Old 05-10-2021, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Mandolins are certainly befuddling little things. I bought a Michael Kelly F style on closeout to practice setup on for my upcoming mandolin build. I was playing it all the time. Why? F style disease.

Northfield and Collings are what I can get my hands on, and so far I've liked the Northfield Big Mon over the Collings. Time to look for a used one I guess. I'd really rather have a 20 year old luthier build, but that would take a real leap of faith. I don't want to wait for an adi top to open up either.
Yeah, my KM-1500 has the adi top, but I don't mind breaking it in. My next guitar will be a Boucher and they use adi tops as well. Stiff at first but my god do they open up to a beautiful tone.

It's crazy though, when I first started playing mandolin in my celtic group, I had an affordable A style Epiphone. I still have it actually. I installed the Fishman M-100 and that set up was honestly fantastic live. Even unplugged, that mandolin has a nice enough tone. I then moved to the Godin A8. Just a great plugged in tone. You can see by the amount of professional artists using it that Godin knocked it out of the park. I actually think they just recently discontinued it though. Anyway, I really like it but struggle with the flat fretboard and honestly, I just miss the resonance and feel of a normal mandolin, even when plugged in.

I recently tried an Eastman 615 live with a K&K pickup. I haven't been that happy playing mandolin in years. I felt like I played better. I do think Eastman mandolins look a bit better than Kentucky but that's being a bit nit picky.
Old 05-11-2021, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Well, I'm 70, and I'd hate to just get it sounding good and drop dead. It would be just my luck. My home built is really coming into its own after 2 1/2 years, so that is certainly an adi thing. Plenty of well used mandolins out there, no waiting.

I love the adds, bought new in 03 and gigged in an active Bluegrass band. No closet queen, but played in. That is right down my alley, but still pushing $5000. It's just how it is.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Fluke tenor ukulele

Old 05-11-2021, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Well, I'm 70, and I'd hate to just get it sounding good and drop dead. It would be just my luck. My home built is really coming into its own after 2 1/2 years, so that is certainly an adi thing. Plenty of well used mandolins out there, no waiting.

I love the adds, bought new in 03 and gigged in an active Bluegrass band. No closet queen, but played in. That is right down my alley, but still pushing $5000. It's just how it is.
The name of the product/company is escaping me right now but there is a product you can get that attaches to the top of a guitar (I am sure it would work on mandolin as well) and basically makes it vibrate in order to open it up quicker. I also believe it was Jason Isbell who once said that when he gets a new acoustic, he blasts the speakers in his room and leaves the guitar out on a stand to open it up. It will take some time to get this mandolin to where I want it, but I am sure it will be worth it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments