The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-12-2020, 09:49 AM

Default Zzounds not very forthcoming...

I recently contacted Zzounds customer service with a question about the new Takamine tsp178ac in the transparent blue flamed maple version. It’s listed as blemished and $300 less expensive than regular MSRP. I asked for a description of the visual extent of the blemish and was very curtly told “we can’t do that”. Naturally I asked why and was told they are in sealed packaging they don’t open to inspect. I was a bit alarmed by that unwillingness to take a simple step to give a prospective buyer a hands on description. So I’m left to decide if I want to order it and hope for a minor flaw or have to return it within the allotted 30 day time. Has anyone ever ordered a blemished guitar and found the extent of the imperfections to be acceptable?
Old 10-12-2020, 09:52 AM

I don't have any experience with that. However, this would definitely vary on a case-by-case basis. So if people here reply saying "it was fine" or "I had a bad experience" it doesn't really help with the specific guitar you are looking to possibly purchase.
Gibson G-45 Studio
Martin X1-DE
Washburn WP21SNS
Taylor 110
Mitchell D120
Old 10-12-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKell View Post
I recently contacted Zzounds customer service with a question about the new Takamine tsp178ac in the transparent blue flamed maple version. It’s listed as blemished and $300 less expensive than regular MSRP. I asked for a description of the visual extent of the blemish and was very curtly told “we can’t do that”. Naturally I asked why and was told they are in sealed packaging they don’t open to inspect. I was a bit alarmed by that unwillingness to take a simple step to give a prospective buyer a hands on description. So I’m left to decide if I want to order it and hope for a minor flaw or have to return it within the allotted 30 day time. Has anyone ever ordered a blemished guitar and found the extent of the imperfections to be acceptable?
This doesn't surprise me at all as I expect the person answering the phone is probably not in the same building, or maybe even the same country, as the guitar. I get why you would WANT the info, and it's reasonable to expect a description of the blemish, but that's just not how things work in phone bank and warehouse style businesses. This is of course a good example of why folks might choose to go with a smaller vendor who is actually connected with their product rather than just warehousing it.
Old 10-12-2020, 10:08 AM

When the person answering they phones says "can't," I'm betting he or she literally can't. The phone folks probably aren't even in the same location as the store itself.
Old 10-12-2020, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

I think in cases with the big online sellers, MANY times the items they sell as "blems" are open box, returns and have pretty minor defects, but without any willingness to verify, that still is a roll of the dice for the buyer.

You gotta love the mom and pop shops cuz most of them will do all sorts of in-hand descriptions, photos, etc.
Old 10-12-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKell View Post
If it is sealed how do they know it was a blem? Somebody had to see it for it to be labeled blem.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:08 AM

I bought a "blemished" Fender Jazzmaster from Sweetwater. They had pictures of the "damage" on their website. Looked like someone had just dropped a cable plug on the body near the jack. Like a pinhead sized dent in the finish. $200 off.
Anyone who won't show you the "blemish" is trying to hide something.

There is another one currently listed there.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...=JazzAO6R3CSd1

This is how good sellers operate.
Old 10-12-2020, 12:12 PM

Bought a blem Ibanez SR405 5-string bass from zZounds in the early-2K's, price right but sight unseen...

Had a nasty dent in the back of the neck, around the 7th fret; some smoothing and buffing reduced it to a point where it doesn't interfere with play - still visible, though - and it's served me well for nearly two decades...

IME it's a crap shoot - only you can decide - but Sweetwater tends to be not only more rigorous in their standards, but more generous with their discounts...
Old 10-12-2020, 12:29 PM

Years ago I bought an open-box or blemished bass combo amp. I didn't get a picture but I think I talked to somebody who told me there were two defects. I found one ( a crease in the Tolex covering but not a puncture)
but the second problem I never found. However, the amp came with no power cord. I called the big-box retailer and asked for a cord because that is standard equipment with all amps AFAIK. I was told , "Sorry, you got what we got." So I had a spare cord but that would have been a cost for somebody else.

However I have called the same retailer and asked for photos of a blemished guitar. I was told it may be possible, but as others have said, the customer service agent may be in another building ... or state ... from the warehouse where the guitar is located. I pressed and the agent said she would ask the warehouse person to take a picture of the guitar and send it to me or back to the agent to send it to me. However, the agent said she couldn't guarantee the warehouse person would do it in the first place and secondly, it may take a long time and the guitar would have been sold by then, so I was urged to buy it now.

However I got vague responses about what would happen if I bought the guitar and found it had too many defects or blemishes. On one hand maybe i would get a full refund. On the other hand, however, maybe I would have to pay for shipping and maybe even a restocking fee if somebody said my complaint(s) did not rise to anything more than a case of buyer's remorse.

But as others have said I'd would watch out for companies that flat out refuse to help you. I would ask for a supervisor maybe but, again, you may not get anything (in this case I doubt you would get more than lip service) and the time it took may be too long to wait. And I would try to find out ... in writing ... what are the return policies on the item.

The more I think about it I probably wouldn't gamble on the item ... but I might if it was either a great deal or it was something I just couldn't find anywhere else.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 10-12-2020, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Zzounds has a pretty good return policy though...and I think they give you a 15-day window to return the instrument if you're not satisfied or there is a manufacturers defect. I have done business with Zzounds in the past, and the sales guys were generally forthcoming and knowledgeable...but it is pretty obvious they aren't anywhere near the warehouse that houses their inventory.
Old 10-12-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarkpicker View Post
Zzounds has a pretty good return policy...but it is pretty obvious they aren't anywhere near the warehouse that houses their inventory.
TMK their warehouse also services American Musical, possibly Same Day Music and 8th Street as well...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 10-12-2020 at 04:05 PM.
Old 10-12-2020, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarkpicker View Post
Zzounds has a pretty good return policy though...and I think they give you a 15-day window to return the instrument if you're not satisfied or there is a manufacturers defect. I have done business with Zzounds in the past, and the sales guys were generally forthcoming and knowledgeable...but it is pretty obvious they aren't anywhere near the warehouse that houses their inventory.
I think that hits the nail on the head. Seems like there is little risk to ordering it if you can just return it.

Rob
Old 10-12-2020, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

The one and only time I ordered from them I ordered an amp and a tuner, and I thought it was odd that I received one of the items from Ohio and the other from Louisiana - and supposedly the company is located in NJ - I was very confused, and I asked about this, and all they said was these were different "warehouse" locations - this seemed incredibly odd, but is consistent with the other experiences here. The products were great, in any case and the prices were fair and shipping was free.
Martin Backpacker
Old 10-12-2020, 01:07 PM

I ordered a new guitar and received a blemished guitar from Zzounds once. I feel they were quite fair on the price adjustment and I took it. They also stated that I could have returned it for free and received a full refund. I will order blemished product from Musician's Friend without reservation because I have had a lot of luck with them including a keeper Bedell that could have passed for new even to my critical eye.
Old 10-12-2020, 02:16 PM

The blem guitars that get offered for sale are very slightly blemished - there's plenty of posts on AGF along the lines of "It was described as a blem but I couldn't see anything wrong."

Guitars with blems worse than that never leave the factory, they're used for firewood (or sometimes in commercials that show a guitar being destroyed so people on the internet will have something to be outraged about).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion