The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-21-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
It’s not a pain. If you talk to Teddy about the process, you will get happy results. Once they are on, and you think there is too much this or not enough that, call him up for recommendations and try again. Popping them off undamaged is easy. Cleaning the glue with a razor, epoxy remover and a cloth is 15 minutes. I have installed most of my sets and been happy. Only adjusted or swapped out a couple. Remember one size fits all doesn’t exist. These actually have flexibility to adjust to your ears, gear, usage, needs, etc. I am not sure you can say that about too many pickups on the market. In my experience and observations with Teddy, if he is not perfectly happy with it, the time it takes to remove and reinstall has indeed been worth it. Even when I thought it wasn’t necessary. If I have installed 15 of these, only two I have installed again. Teddy has reinstalled a couple for me because he thought he could make it better when I thought it was already good.

I realize I hijacked this thread. Those Sunnaudio preamps are the dream. I am requesting a single channel version of the MS-2 someday. I think it will be a price point more people can buy into. You won’t get the mid side feature, but not many including myself will use that. Well, never say never.
That sounds better but I stand by the removal being a pain. Just not a huge fan of trying to pull them out and then use a razor blade/brake cleaner. Hopefully removal will not even be necessary though. I guess I keep thinking of the Amulet and HFN. Both of those pickups took significant experimentation and neither one even uses glue. It just gets annoying to have to remove the strings, reposition, tune up, test and then do it all over again. I probably will install my Dazzo 70's. Seems like a waste to not give them a try at least.
Old 10-21-2020, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

I keep thinking back to last year when I bought a guitar with K&Ks in it. I plugged them in and thought they must be defective, to the point I took the guitar to Gryphon and asked them to check. They plugged into a Fishman, and even before playing, the bass was turned down as far as it could go. Was told that you had to do that with a dread. Then they futzed with the mid range. Got it to sound OK.

I'd been playing Dazzos so long I just could not believe the K&Ks weren't defective. I've left the one pickup for all concept behind. Every guitar I have sounds great with the EQ set flat, because the parlors have 90s or 100s, the 00 has 80s, the dreads have 70s to 50s depending. If I put the 70s in the guitar I have 50s in, I'd have to cut the bass for sure. But I don't. I have the pickup that is right for the guitar, plus they sound better. This correct frequency response into the beautifully linear SunnAudio gain stage is a perfect match. I don't really need what the MS-2 provides. I wouldn't mind having one though.

If I ever get to the point someone wants me to play both guitar and mandolin on a gig, it'll be at the top of my shopping list.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 10-21-2020, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
That sounds better but I stand by the removal being a pain. Just not a huge fan of trying to pull them out and then use a razor blade/brake cleaner. Hopefully removal will not even be necessary though. I guess I keep thinking of the Amulet and HFN. Both of those pickups took significant experimentation and neither one even uses glue. It just gets annoying to have to remove the strings, reposition, tune up, test and then do it all over again. I probably will install my Dazzo 70's. Seems like a waste to not give them a try at least.
It would be pretty daunting spending money on an expensive pickup and then having to install it multiple times to get it right. Why not send that guitar and the Dazzos to the expert, and let him dial it in for you? Sounds like Teddy would get it right. Expensive yes, but probably worth it to avoid the frustration. I always follow your posts and feel for you when an install doesn't do it for you, or the installation goes wrong (B-Band damaged), or the pickup that everyone is raving about sounds crappy in your particular guitar (Koa Taylor). Sounds to me, from what people are saying here, Teddy is the kind of person that would follow through until it sounded as good as it could. Just a thought.
Old 10-21-2020, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
It’s not a pain. If you talk to Teddy about the process, you will get happy results.
Right, Teddy's process works quite well. At this point, he knows what pickup model is likely to fit a guitar. Also, he uses a process not unlike what Trance recommends with their clamp. His glue stays wet for a while, so while it's wet, he plugs the guitar in and listens as he moves the pickup around slightly, finding the sweet spot. Let go, let the glue dry, and you're done.

My multiple installs have all been about Teddy saying either that he'd made major improvements or that he just thought it could be better, not that there was any issue with the 1st location. Just him saying "You're at 99.9%, I bet I could get 99.99%".

Quote:
You won’t get the mid side feature, but not many including myself will use that. Well, never say never.
If you try it, you aren't likely to go back... :-)
Old 10-22-2020, 02:04 AM

All this talking about Teddy's pickups make me want to switch from the k&k I'm currently using to them. But being in Europe it's a big issue, since I cannot go directly to Teddy and let him find the best pickups for my guitar. Even hearing always great things about him, I wonder what he can do without seeing or listening to the guitar in person...
Old 10-22-2020, 01:50 PM

Default Great review

Thanks for the great review.... it has me really interested in this product.... would you please list your entire audio signal chain you used in this review please. Also do you have a picture of the mic from Sunnaudio, I can’t find that on their website
Old 10-22-2020, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Teddy can talk to your tech and walk him through the process. I think sometimes that Teddy is his own worst enemy in his quest for perfection, and I've seen him put a newer version into musician's guitars simply because he can't bear to know it could sound better. Having Teddy put pickups in your guitar is watching a very anal guy doing what he's passionate about. So people read the stories and get the impression you just can't slap them in. You can put them where he says to and sound great.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 10-22-2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Teddy can talk to your tech and walk him through the process. I think sometimes that Teddy is his own worst enemy in his quest for perfection, and I've seen him put a newer version into musician's guitars simply because he can't bear to know it could sound better. Having Teddy put pickups in your guitar is watching a very anal guy doing what he's passionate about. So people read the stories and get the impression you just can't slap them in. You can put them where he says to and sound great.
This is true and well stated. Teddy will say there isn't a cookie cutter approach to installing them, but there is.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 10-23-2020, 11:37 PM
Charter Member

I'd also like to add (being that Forum member who Vance installed Dazzos in my Goodall, then Teddy came through Salem and said, "we can get that better"!) - with the Dazzos, there is NO BRAKE FLUID SOAKING to remove that epoxy...

My 2012 Goodall CJc had had a set of K&K's in it when I got it that weren't removed or cleaned off well, at all... and the K&K bridgeplate cleanup is what took the brake fluid cleaner... and I wasn't thrilled about that, either, but it turned out really well and the Dazzos mounted just fine...

Best of all? These things are UNREALLY GOOD SOUNDING! Although I gave up on this grail; this amplifying the guitar's sound, from my lap and hands to the audience, only louder... This is absolutely the closest to "that" sound I have ever heard...

I am frothing to get out and gig with these things... especially because the Dazzos that are now in Angus 12 string sounded even better and more like that guitar than the Goodall!

(Vancebo - kept that D-18 Modern Deluxe, eh? Glad it's sounding so good to you! Be well, my friend... and thanks, again!)

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 10-24-2020, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
I'd also like to add (being that Forum member who Vance installed Dazzos in my Goodall, then Teddy came through Salem and said, "we can get that better"!) - with the Dazzos, there is NO BRAKE FLUID SOAKING to remove that epoxy...

My 2012 Goodall CJc had had a set of K&K's in it when I got it that weren't removed or cleaned off well, at all... and the K&K bridgeplate cleanup is what took the brake fluid cleaner... and I wasn't thrilled about that, either, but it turned out really well and the Dazzos mounted just fine...

Best of all? These things are UNREALLY GOOD SOUNDING! Although I gave up on this grail; this amplifying the guitar's sound, from my lap and hands to the audience, only louder... This is absolutely the closest to "that" sound I have ever heard...

I am frothing to get out and gig with these things... especially because the Dazzos that are now in Angus 12 string sounded even better and more like that guitar than the Goodall!

(Vancebo - kept that D-18 Modern Deluxe, eh? Glad it's sounding so good to you! Be well, my friend... and thanks, again!)
How about some sound clips Vance/JS? "I little less talk and alot more action," hahaha...j/k. I've been inclined to try Dazzo's for a while now and am close to pulling the trigger myself.
Old 10-24-2020, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamison162 View Post
How about some sound clips Vance/JS? "I little less talk and alot more action," hahaha...j/k. I've been inclined to try Dazzo's for a while now and am close to pulling the trigger myself.
Good to know you’re playing again. What guitar and preamp?
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 10-24-2020, 11:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

Lots of great info on here everyone!

Here are a couple prelim clips of two sets of pickups through the MS-2.
We just utilized the high pass filter to trim some low end..

The main set of pickups are a pair of Dazzos in a cheap gigging Luna guitar and a B-band used as a mid-side signal.
I strummed fairly hard to show how it does in that regard. Great bar fight guitar btw.jk
The Dazzos in this guitar are not optimal versions, but this guitar is not that good sounding to begin with. The B-band and its preamp came with this guitar.
In the clip below you can hear what the mid-side can do for even non-optimal pickup situations.

We will upload better guitars with samples in the future.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ldi...ew?usp=sharing

The second clip is just comparing the two mono signals from the pickups in the Luna. The recording alternates from Dazzo to B-Band.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AIR...ew?usp=sharing

Marc

Last edited by sunnaudio; 11-04-2020 at 11:22 PM.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

I sent the Sunnaudio team a handful of demos using the MS-2 and Dazzo pickups, and they suggested posting a couple here. This is with my Martin OM, Dazzo 52s and a Bartlett internal mic, into the MS-2. Raw files, no processing, just the output of the MS-2 direct into the recorder. Just some random fingerpicking followed by strumming with a pick:

My settings:

IMG_2588.jpg
Old 10-25-2020, 12:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default MS-2 and Dazzo Sound clips from Doug Young

Here are all 6 sound clips from Doug. MS-2 with Martin OM with Dazzo 52's and Bartlett internal mic in mid-side stereo recorded direct with no external EQ, reverb or processing.

1st 2 links are fingerstyle, followed by fingerpicking and then 3 strumming.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JBt...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14zG...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LN0...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CYM...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ems...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AoV...ew?usp=sharing

Many thanks to Doug for putting these samples together and sharing them!

Sunny
Old 10-25-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Good to know you’re playing again. What guitar and preamp?
Not to hijack...but picked up a Larrivee OM-40R a year or so ago. K&K Trinity System (outboard) at the moment. Nice bike btw Gary!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
sunnaudio