The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-09-2020, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
For sure, I think it's one of those units that I will need to try myself. I do wonder though if the quality of the phone mic matters. Just some examples would be a newer Iphone vs. an older model. You would think the mic would have been upgraded. Also, I have that Shure mic that attaches to my Iphone for more professional recordings. I wonder if using that would make for a better sound or if it would just cause more room ambience to be in the IR.
You would have to try it. I have the 11 Pro Max. Maybe we will all be searching the ‘elusive iPhone 3G microphone’ in a few weeks time LOL!
Old 10-09-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
- That "room" hollowness is not present, even on the max setting.
Hi Petty,

Can you please point the "room" hollowness for us. For example, give us a youtube video link with the specific time at which you can hear it obviously.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 10-09-2020, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Hi Petty,

Can you please point the "room" hollowness for us. For example, give us a youtube video link with the specific time at which you can hear it obviously.
Around 7:52 in this video. The image sounds hollow and distant.

https://youtu.be/6Z8uz8QTeWI

Honestly I have heard this issue referenced quite a bit so I am surprised that it isn’t discussed here more. Maybe I am just explaining it wrong but to me it reminds me of a home recording where the mic can sound a bit hollow due to the room ambience. It must be a thing though as Lloyd speaks at length about most IR’s having issues with it.

This guy has reverb on but I just chose the first video I found.
Old 10-09-2020, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

https://youtu.be/6Z8uz8QTeWI

Honestly I have heard this issue referenced quite a bit so I am surprised that it isn’t discussed here more. Maybe I am just explaining it wrong but to me it reminds me of a home recording where the mic can sound a bit hollow due to the room ambience. It must be a thing though as Lloyd speaks at length about most IR’s having issues with it.

This guy has reverb on but I just chose the first video I found.
That sounds like reverb but I know what you mean. I call it ‘wet’. Lol
Old 10-09-2020, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

FWIW my rep at Sweetwater says they're expecting to have it in 'early' November...but that this could change. Mine's preordered so we'll see when it shows up!
Old 10-09-2020, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
That sounds like reverb but I know what you mean. I call it ‘wet’. Lol
Haha I love the names we come up with for this stuff!
Old 10-09-2020, 11:57 PM

Quote:
I agree with Aaron it sounds like reverb.

I hear like an undefined "woooo" ringing after the attack that "haunt" the sound and make it distant.

I also call it "wet" with Aaron.

Some times it's so bad you don't only hear it in the attack but also
If you don't like that, the easiest trick is too shorten the IR and re-EQ behind.

That's why most non-free IR reverb plugin let you tune the shape of your IR envelop to set the reverb tail to your taste.

For me what I dislike about IR that is not properly made are:
* It is too muddy or woody (Needs High-pass filter and/or Parametric EQ around 120 Hz)
* It has high-end ringing giving a metallic attack. (Needs to be re-process or can be solve with parametric EQ if there is only few ringings, you can also use a shelf high filter but will loose the high-end...)
* It is too wet & reverby giving a distant sound. (The IR shape needs to be shaped & cut)
* It has a fixed position wah pedal sound. This problem is somehow similar to the ringing problem but in another frequency range. Also this might not be a peak in the frequency but a misplaced notch (think of a deep cut in the spectrum with a PEQ and medium Q). That usually can not be solved with EQ so either you blend in some of the dry signal... Either you make a new IR.

It's funny because as I write I find that making & tuning IR for me was pretty similar to trying pickups for other AGF members. I probably spent as much time doing that than MartinGitDave, Vancebo and AeroUSA trying pickups.

As I said many times before. Making your own pickup is probably the fastest and more rewarding way to achieve what you want.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 10-10-2020, 06:39 AM
Charter Member

I'm hoping that none of you is in the audience at my gig tonight. Lotta pressure on my plugged in tone!
Old 10-10-2020, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
I'm hoping that none of you is in the audience at my gig tonight. Lotta pressure on my plugged in tone!
The audience does not care as soon as someone starts to sing.

It is really a rabbit hole.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 10-10-2020, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The audience does not care as soon as someone starts to sing.

It is really a rabbit hole.
It’s never been about the audience for me. It’s all about feeling inspired when I play. The audience only knows sound as good or bad (or too loud).
Old 10-10-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
It’s never been about the audience for me. It’s all about feeling inspired when I play. The audience only knows sound as good or bad (or too loud).
That's right..if my guitar sounds bad it effects my playing. My mind is too busy thinking how to fix what I'm hearing.
When it sounds great I can use that to
My advantage and settle into the song.
Old 10-10-2020, 08:37 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
That's right..if my guitar sounds bad it effects my playing. My mind is too busy thinking how to fix what I'm hearing.
When it sounds great I can use that to
My advantage and settle into the song.
THIS!!! So true!
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 10-10-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Exactly what I was going to write. If my tone isn’t good then it can ruin the show for me. I envy those players who can plug in with a standard UST and be happy but if my tone isn’t inspiring then I don’t want to play. It’s the same issue with electric guitar. I went through many rigs until I found the one. Now I love plugging in.
Old 10-10-2020, 11:23 AM

So why don't you guys just put a mic in front of your guitar and feed your in-ears with it while the audience gets the UST piezo sound.

You get a mic tone that would improve your performance and there will be no feedback problem
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 10-10-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
So why don't you guys just put a mic in front of your guitar and feed your in-ears with it while the audience gets the UST piezo sound.

You get a mic tone that would improve your performance and there will be no feedback problem
It’s not really feasible for me. I play bars with 400-600 people in them. It would be a nightmare trying to make that work. I also move around a lot as we are an energetic band so I couldn’t stay near the mic. I personally haven’t met any musicians who use in ears. I often thought about them but the rest of my band are not knowledgeable enough about gear so it would be more work to set them all up.

That’s why it sucks that I couldn’t make the anthem work because I loved the feel/tone of the lyric. It just unfortunately did not have enough bottom end and sounded a bit thin.

I should add though that I have played shows before with a straight Matrix signal and no processing and the results were amazing. Even adding the aura spectrum at times has been incredible. It’s just consistency that I find to be a challenge. It’s usually based on the room more than anything.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification