The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-29-2020, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I remember and thought about Mercenary Audio KM-69 but are they even still in business ?
No but AMI is and they designed the mic, here's an upgraded version, I don't know if they are still producing them, but I found one in stock...

https://studiocare.com/products/ami-...and-wooden-box
Old 09-29-2020, 04:11 PM

Quote:
No it was not .
You might want to read more carefully

He did not say his budget was a 184 He said he did not want a 184 sound . "(not the younger brother, KM184, that is too harsh for my taste").

His first mention of budget is post #4 "my budget I will probably stay with the WA84... but just a single, not a matched pair."
Well I did miss that, and like I said in my revised post, I thought he may have tried the KM184 and wrote it off because it was too harsh, so I relayed the info about trying with a different preamp, which truly makes a difference in that mic. And I was also trying to let him know that he would not get the sound of a KM84 with a WA84 no matter what their ad copy says.
Old 09-29-2020, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I remember that mic, wasn't it actually designed by Oliver Archut? I remember wanting to buy one of those, and they were gone in a flash. Fletcher from Mercenary was pushing them on Gearslutz.
Actually I just found the mike on his website. He calls it a AMI F44 microphone.
The website still says they would be available, but that posted years ago. It never happened.

http://oliverarchut.com/id141.html

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 09-29-2020, 04:14 PM

You guys are great! I would love to gear personally and test all those mics... But unfortunately, I'm from Brazil, and here se Just dont have them. I have tô import every gear I have... And I dont habe many. I Just wanted something to Record my Martin, that sounded warm and lush. It could be a large diaphragm, too. For vocals, I have a Neumann KMS105 that I also use live. I use a AT2035 to Record vocals and acoustic at the sane time, but I'm really at a point that I want tô invest in something better for capture my acoustic guitar. I only Record vocals and Ac guitar, as a Singer Songwriter.

Thank you for ALL the tips and experience shared. I apreciate it!

2005 Martin HD28 with K&K Trinity;
2012 Cordoba C10;
Grace Design Felix 2;
Sennheiser MD441;
DPA 4099 Core;
DPA 4018L;
Bose L1 Compact;
QSC Touchmix 8;
QSC K10.2;
Neumann u87ai;
Neumann KMS105;
Neumann KM184 (matched pair).

http://www.youtube.com/rodrigopandelo
http://www.rodrigopandelo.com
http://www.instagram.com/rodrigopandelo

São Paulo/Brazil
Old 09-29-2020, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANDAPANDELO View Post
You guys are great! I would love to gear personally and test all those mics... But unfortunately, I'm from Brazil, and here se Just dont have them. I have tô import every gear I have... And I dont habe many. I Just wanted something to Record my Martin, that sounded warm and lush. It could be a large diaphragm, too. For vocals, I have a Neumann KMS105 that I also use live. I use a AT2035 to Record vocals and acoustic at the sane time, but I'm really at a point that I want tô invest in something better for capture my acoustic guitar. I only Record vocals and Ac guitar, as a Singer Songwriter.

Thank you for ALL the tips and experience shared. I apreciate it!
Years ago I read that Sarah McLachlan recorded her song with a KMS105 for her guitar!!!! I have a KMS105 at my studio so I am going to try that with my HD28 too. I will send you a clip if you're interested! It's a supercardoid mic and that pattern normally generates a lot of proximity effect but the KMS105 has a low cut in the circuit so it's worth a try!!!
Old 09-29-2020, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I was also trying to let him know that he would not get the sound of a KM84 with a WA84 no matter what their ad copy says.
Which may well be true I have not auditioned nor do I own any WA gear. Which is why I carefully and I thought clearly, prepositioned my post to qualify and reflect that. And why I asked about his budget
Of course that does not mean the WA might not serve his purpose quite well

I understand you may not like WA advertising which certainly a valid personal opinion.

If you have a mic recommendations that are more "similar" as he put it , to an 84 in his $400 budget range I am sure he would be interested

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 09-29-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Actually I just found the mike on his website. He calls it a AMI F44 microphone.
The website still says they would be available, but that posted years ago. It never happened.

http://oliverarchut.com/id141.html
Studiocare has that mic in stock on it's website, https://studiocare.com/products/ami-...and-wooden-box
Old 09-29-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Which may well be true I have not auditioned nor do I own any WA gear.
Which is why I carefully and I thought clearly, prepositioned my post to qualify and reflect that. And why I asked about his budget

I understand you may not like WA advertising which certainly a valid personal opinion.

If you have a mic recommendations that are more "similar" as he put it , to an 84 in his $400 budget range I am sure he would be interested
He might already own a good mic that I read about years ago on acoustic guitar, the KMS105 (which I have) so I am going over to my studio to check it out. His Neumannn KMS105 vocal mic, with and without the headbasket on. For the same reason I don't like it on my vocals (the low cut filter to fight proximity effect), it may work well on acoustic guitar! And frankly I've never used anything in that budget range that brought the KM84 flavor.
Old 09-29-2020, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANDAPANDELO View Post
Hi there, everybody!

I would like to have one small diaphragm condenser micrpophone (or even a large diaphragm) to record my acoustic guitar (a Martin HD28 from 2005). The sound I'm after is a warm one, similar to the Neumann KM84 (not the younger brother, KM184, that is too harsh for my taste).

Do you guys have any advice on some affordable ones to get? Thank you!
You could consider 3-Zigma (ADK is parent company). They have the CHI line which is the amp body with swappable capsules (sdc and ldc capsules). The amp is available transformerless or with a transformer. The designer was targeting the design to be in-between the KM84 and the CMC6x (I don't have first hand comparisons). I've used the transformerless amp with cardioid and omni sdc capsules, and the LOL-47 ldc capsule, on acoustic guitar. They are in your price range ($350-$400 each from ADK). If interested, check at adkmic.com

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 09-29-2020, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Studiocare has that mic in stock on it's website, https://studiocare.com/products/ami-...and-wooden-box
Good find.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 09-29-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Good find.
I'm a full time musician, so with the pandemic my income is down, or I would have hit the buy button ASAP on that one
Old 09-29-2020, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
You could consider 3-Zigma (ADK is parent company). They have the CHI line which is the amp body with swappable capsules (sdc and ldc capsules). The amp is available transformerless or with a transformer. The designer was targeting the design to be in-between the KM84 and the CMC6x (I don't have first hand comparisons). I've used the transformerless amp with cardioid and omni sdc capsules, and the LOL-47 ldc capsule, on acoustic guitar. They are in your price range ($350-$400 each from ADK). If interested, check at adkmic.com
+1 on the 3 Zigma CHI mics. You can choose between two different mic amp bodies, one being transformerless and and other having a transformer. You'll get a bit closer to a KM84 with the transformer mic amp body (with cardioid small diaphragm capsule).

3 Zigma mics are currently on sale from their website:

3 Zigma CHI Mics
Old 09-29-2020, 05:50 PM

And have you ever tested a Shure SM81? I can find it in Brazil, and that's not too expensive here.

2005 Martin HD28 with K&K Trinity;
2012 Cordoba C10;
Grace Design Felix 2;
Sennheiser MD441;
DPA 4099 Core;
DPA 4018L;
Bose L1 Compact;
QSC Touchmix 8;
QSC K10.2;
Neumann u87ai;
Neumann KMS105;
Neumann KM184 (matched pair).

http://www.youtube.com/rodrigopandelo
http://www.rodrigopandelo.com
http://www.instagram.com/rodrigopandelo

São Paulo/Brazil
Old 09-29-2020, 05:56 PM

FWIW, there was a discussion over at GS a while ago where a similar question was asked. The consensus of experienced users, as far as I remember, was that nothing on the market really duplicates it (at least nothing most folks can afford).

However:

The WA84 was mentioned often, and overall received positive reviews.

Another mic that was mentioned often with positive reviews was the 3U Audio Warbler-127.

Again, no one claimed these were perfect substitutes for the KM84, just two quality, affordable transformer coupled mics that will put you in the region.
Old 09-29-2020, 06:06 PM
Guitar Gourmet

The longer I am in the business the less I am impressed by strong opinions and vitriol.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD