The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 05-10-2020, 12:38 PM

Default Help identifying old archtop guitar

I recently purchased a group of old Harmony guitars and the guy I bought them from "threw this one in" with the rest of them. He told me that it was a National, but nothing about this guitar looks like a National. He said that the guy he'd gotten it from had gotten it "in the war at a pawn shop" but was unsure which war and where geographically he'd come by it. It looks and feels like a fairly well-made guitar, but there is no serial number or date marking on the inside that I can see. I've scoured the inside with a light and inspection mirror and can find no marks whatsoever. I've also scoured the internet looking for the logo, which to me looks like North America with a cane running horizontally across it. The logo looks extremely familiar, but I just can't place it! The headstock and tailpiece looks Harmony-ish...but not exactly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm just wanting to know if I should invest some time to bring this guitar back to playable as the action is really high at the 12th fret. It just needs a new bridge, an upgraded tailpiece and a little TLC and I think it would be a nice player.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0jOJ...U12esrehgMjCkQ

Last edited by enolap; 08-31-2020 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Add link to images.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:02 AM

Love to help out here but the photos aren't downloading and the link doesn't work.
Old 08-31-2020, 10:47 AM

Default Image link updated.

Sorry, Sunra! The link for the images had expired. It's all updated now (I hope).
Old 08-31-2020, 06:43 PM

I know what you mean about that logo..vaguely familiar. It probably is a Harmony build, but not a high end one judging from the birch top and hardware...bit the finish is beautiful and might sound quite nice.
Old 09-15-2020, 07:02 AM

Remembered the logo. It was from the Continental Music Company, that would place your guitar late 1930s, early 1940s. All-birch construction made by one of the big Chicago houses for Continental. Go over Vintaxe.com and you can see their catalogs.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:19 PM

Default Thank you!!!

That is awesome!!! Thank you so much! I will definitely check them out!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops