The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-28-2021, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Default Rebirth of the "Learn a New Song Challenge" Thread

Hi guys,

It's been a long time since I've done one of these!

Would anybody like to join a friendly "learn a new song" challenge? Anyone can join! Just try to learn a new song however long it takes. It's that simple. If it takes you 1 day, 1 week, 1 month or 1 year it's all good!

The only requirement is that as you learn please post your progress, triumphs and troubles here. The whole point is to support each other, talk about the learning process and have fun.

My goals:
- learn the classic ragtime tune "Ragtime Oriole" by James Scott (DGDGBE tuning) from a David Laibman video. It's going to be a hard one!
- record and post it (don't expect a masterpiece here. I find it difficult to record)

Who's in?

My recordings

Last edited by J-Doug; 03-28-2021 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-29-2021, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

The chef is in. Iím not sure what song Iíll do yet but I like the idea.

I learned the intro to Nothing else matters by Metallica because I need to play it for something but Iíve never actually attempted any more of the song. Thatís a possibility.

Iím open to suggestions, maybe something in the ďintermediateĒ level lol. All the songs I really like to play, because I already know the words and tune well, are fairly simple to play nirvana songs. Power chords abound
Old 03-29-2021, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Good idea Doug.

I just started on "The Handing Down" by Ed Gerhard, but its 5 pages long and might take a while. I'll see if I can find something that's 2-3 pages long and I haven't learned it before.

Avalon L2-320C
Furch Yellow Gc-CR
Gibson J-45
Guild D-120C
Larrivee OM-05
Martin D-16GT

Alvarez AP66SB, Cordoba C5, Seagull Folk, Washburn D10S

Demo of my new Furch Yellow Gc-CR !:

Celtic covers - videos

https://soundcloud.com/barry329

Enjoying guitars since 1964.

Last edited by TBman; 03-29-2021 at 08:41 AM.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Hey Doug,

Good idea!

I'm also working on a James Scott piece, Sunburst Rag. It is my first piano based ragtime piece and 2 weeks in I'm struggling for sure. I can play the A and B sections at about half tempo. There is one stretch I miss about 3/4 of the time. I'm a long way from making a recording. But it sure is rewarding when it starts to sound like music!

I stumbled on this regarding ragtime on guitar, and David Laibman in particluar:

https://syncopatedtimes.com/adventur...agtime-guitar/

The takeaway part of the article:

"One sad note: of all of the top ragtime guitar players you can hear live, you wonít get to hear Dave Laibman who is absolutely the best of all of us and refuses to perform. You can find his recordings and some of his work on Facebook or YouTube, but thatís all.

When I called him many years ago and asked if he wanted to work at one or another ragtime festival, he said, ďHell no. This stuffís too hard to play.Ē He makes his living as a professor of economics at Brooklyn College and continues to compose and play, but only for himself and his friends. Ah well."

So don't be too hard on yourself, I keep telling myself
Old 03-29-2021, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Ok, I found my project. Its Jock O'Hazeldean from El McMeen's Celtic Guitar Treasures book. Its in CGDGAD, capo 2. I worked on it with Transcribe just now for an hour, now I'm going to punch it in to GuitarPro and tweak it to my playing style a bit while staying close to El's playing of the tune. Sometimes what El plays is slightly different than the notation so that's how I work it out.

I was also looking at "George Brabazon, 2nd Air", also from El McMeen's Celtic Treasure book, same tuning. Maybe I'll work on both.

I'll do almost nothing for a few weeks and then all of a sudden I'm working on 7-8 different tunes. I can feel another burst of work coming on. Maybe its the new Furch I have on the way.

Avalon L2-320C
Furch Yellow Gc-CR
Gibson J-45
Guild D-120C
Larrivee OM-05
Martin D-16GT

Celtic covers - videos

Old 03-29-2021, 02:45 PM

I'm in.
I am advanced beginner to intermediate level, have been for years, probably just stay there.
For a few years now I can play the first solo in Wish You Were Here.
I can play it at least very close to note for note.
However, my timing just sounds all wrong.
I am going to get it this time
Old 03-29-2021, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for joining in guys! Nice to have some company on this journey.

My update: I spent about 2.5 hours on the tune over the past two nights. I can play through the first page so some good progress so far. I plan on only learning the A and B sections and I'll be playing the tune as AABBA which covers 4 pages of notation. 4 pages is my emotional limit. More than that and frustration and boredom set in!

My recordings
Old 03-29-2021, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Thanks for joining in guys! Nice to have some company on this journey.

My update: I spent about 2.5 hours on the tune over the past two nights. I can play through the first page so some good progress so far. I plan on only learning the A and B sections and I'll be playing the tune as AABBA which covers 4 pages of notation. 4 pages is my emotional limit. More than that and frustration and boredom set in!
So are we going to post progress recordings? I might be ready for something suitable for human ears by the weekend as the two El McMeen arrangements aren't that tough,
I could have a page of the Ed Gerhard piece half ready .

Avalon L2-320C
Furch Yellow Gc-CR
Gibson J-45
Guild D-120C
Larrivee OM-05
Martin D-16GT

Celtic covers - videos

Last edited by TBman; 03-29-2021 at 10:18 PM.
Old 03-30-2021, 06:12 AM
Charter Member

I meant to post this here posted in a different thread first:

Iím learning Kindhearted Woman Blues from the video lessons done by Tom Feldman on Stefan Grossmanís Guitar Workshop. Up to now Iíve tackled various Travis picking pieces like Spike Driverís Blues. They are tough for me and fun to play but this is a whole Ďnother level of difficulty. Getting the pulse right with the thumb while playing dotted eighths, triplets and even some sixteenth notes is really challenging me. Iíve been going at it a little over a week and I just about have the first verse down, at like one third speed.
Old 03-30-2021, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
So are we going to post progress recordings?
As you like Barry! I'm not going to. There are 4 of us at home doing work and school right now so I don't have a dedicated recording space. Not much peace and quiet to record either. I will try to set something up to record the final product though.

My recordings

Last edited by J-Doug; 03-30-2021 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-30-2021, 04:45 PM

I'm up for this too.

I need a 'break' from a fast-ish flatpicking tune, so I just today started looked at a more sedate one. I've spent half an hour on the first phrase, and as it's a short piece I feel like I'll be able to a slow play-through by the end of week.

If I get the chance I'll record/share progress.

Tom
Old 03-30-2021, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

Today's update: I played through the whole section A without tab and at about 2/3 tempo after about another 2 hours of working on it. So I'm feeling pretty good right now.

My recordings
Old 03-31-2021, 10:06 AM

Solsbury Hill - can play all the parts pretty well but not fluidly together.... probably a result of poor technique...
Old 04-01-2021, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

Update: Put in a couple of hours last night so now I can play through AA at 2/3 tempo but oh boy are my fingers sore! I'm trying to decide whether to move onto section B or improve my tempo on section A first. What do you guys think?

My recordings
Old 04-01-2021, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Update: Put in a couple of hours last night so now I can play through AA at 2/3 tempo but oh boy are my fingers sore! I'm trying to decide whether to move onto section B or improve my tempo on section A first. What do you guys think?
Doug, I think I would kill for 2/3 tempo, move on!

Seriously, ragtime is so complex it sounds fine (some would say better) at lesser speeds, as long as it grooves, swings, etc.

I have the A section of Sunburst Rag down pretty good at a slow tempo (except for one funky chord shape), and the B is coming along nicely. This week my teacher started me on the C section. That is where it gets crazy, way up the neck and a lot of jumping around. Heavy on bar chords. He even struggled a little bit recording it for me (of course he was sight reading it for the first time). Peeking ahead to D, it appears to be a return to sanity.

I'm going to continue polishing A, working on B, and make a stab at C (not sure I'll ever get it sounding good, but it will be fun to try). Scott was a great composer!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write