The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-29-2021, 07:07 AM

Default Funny story - online gig last night

I'm involved with a group that holds online meditation classes (used to be in person, but since covid...). It's gained a bit of popularity, sometimes they get 40 or 50 people. To keep it fresh, every now and then they will get me to play a short fingerstyle piece before or after the meditation. Last night was one of those nights.

Are you guys familiar with Zoom, the online meeting program? The way it works is it makes the person speaking (or playing) full screen for all the viewers, then switches to the next person that speaks. Unless you are speaking, then it stays on the last person to say something before you so you don't have to look at yourself speaking. That would be awkward.

So last night, I'm performing a somewhat complicated fingerstyle piece. Well, the last person to speak before I started is this one guy who is, shall we say a bit eccentric? He is his 80's, has no filter between brain and mouth (or just doesn't care), and is quite the character. I have Zoom maximized so it's full screen on my 27" computer. So here I am trying to play an intricate fingerstyle piece with this guys face blown up larger than life 2 feet in front of me. His camera is really close to his face. And he has no idea he is full screen on my end. He starts dancing around with his fingers, face and mouth to what I playing in a very bizarre way. This guy doesn't know he's on my screen. To everybody else, I'm full screen.

I made it through somehow, but this was, by far, the most bizarre performance I have ever done, and I've done plenty. Thank God it was something that was well rehearsed and I had been playing it for a while now! You can't make this stuff up folks, stranger than fiction.

Last edited by jklotz; 01-29-2021 at 07:23 AM.
Old 01-29-2021, 07:46 AM

One of those moments when you need to laugh, but can't... and they think this stuff is easy?
Old 01-29-2021, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

May I suggest continued “social distancing” from this fellow, even after it is no longer mandatory, or even recommended.
David

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write