The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-15-2022, 04:16 PM

Default New Songs For Beginners

Hey folks,

I've spent this last week trying to refine "Yellow Submarine" by the Beatles and I'll spend next week working on "Wonderwall" by Oasis. I'm not sure if that paints a clear enough picture of my current level on the guitar, but I hope it does.

What songs do you think I might be able to learn to a reasonable standard in a week or less? Hit me!

Cheers.
Old 01-15-2022, 05:06 PM

Hi,

Nice to hear you are enjoying learning some songs. I have found songbooks by Justin Sandercoe really helpful, firstly because he has simple arrangements of lots of songs that I recognise and secondly because the books include great songs that I had never been exposed to before. I've particularly enjoyed the Beginner Songbook, Acoustic Songbook and Vintage Songbook. For more complex songs like the Beatle's "Blackbird" there is some extra instruction.

I have no affiliation with Justin Guitar but Justin's free internet resources and songbooks have helped me a lot.

https://www.justinguitar.com/
Old 01-15-2022, 05:17 PM

Have you any interest in playing and finding the melody's to old traditional tunes? To me this is where the learning is created instead of learning the chords to semi or current tunes. Tunes like Wildwood Flower, Ole Suzanna, Wayfaring Stranger, Rising Sun, etc Dylan, Norman Blake, Doc Watson...where it all came from
Old 01-15-2022, 05:25 PM

Gordon Lightfoot's The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.
Old 01-15-2022, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

A lot of players seem to hate Wagon Wheel, but regular folks love it. It would be a good one to try to pick up from a recording, just 3 major chords and one minor.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Tags
beginner, beginner chords novice, beginner guitar, beginner guitarist, new song