The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-23-2021, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

This forum is a great resource I have and continue to learn here.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-23-2021, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Very, very thankful for everyone's help on the Recording side.
All of you have been so generous with your time & information. I see no diva's in our crowd. Only Kind compassionate recording enthusiast.
As always, Doug Young's massive knowledge and testing has been instrumental in allowing me to make some decisions on equipment.
I have said this before...but what I love about my friends here on the recording side is their ability to share in such a friendly manner. Gearspace(formerly Gearslutz)...well let us just say that the people there are not so friendly, and only occasionally helpful. I have certainly learned from them...but it is not always a pleasant experience like it is here on the AGF.
It has been about Three years of me saving and readying my equipment. So looking forward to getting my new gear up, Schoeps, John Hardy preamp and Buzz audio Velox compressor. Just been enamored with other projects and only been able to play guitar for a few minutes in the past two weeks. In fact played guitar this morning and my fingers hurt! ha ha..And now I am going away for another two weeks. Oh well have to start over with my calluses.
Anyway...what is so, so nice..for a novice like myself...I know I can call on you guys, and there will be nothing but great advice presented in such a nice way.
Truly greatful. Thank you all, will be calling on your help soon!
Old 05-23-2021, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
If I only had to pay the sales tax, it would still be beyond my pay grade.

For what it's worth, I like Pollock too but, like Tom Waits, he's an acquired taste.
I like Pollock as much as most people who appreciate modern art, but I can't imagine how much the paint shaking machine at my local hardware store must be worth...
Old 05-23-2021, 01:38 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
Doug Young's explanation of the mid side recording technique was a game changer for me. Thanks Doug!
Me too
Old 05-23-2021, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post

The "Show and Tell" forum here is a good example of that. I won't reference any particular piece as an example (because it isn't my intention to embarrass anyone) but there have been numerous times I've seen praise being heaped on pieces I thought were both poorly recorded and poorly played.
You could always send someone a PM and say "I think you should try this or that.." or "Try not to do this or that", etc. Keeping it private avoids embarrassment. There are times when I felt I could have used a dose of reality from fellow members. Once in a blue moon I would get a good kick in the butt, but not often enough. If we just pat each other on the head, how will we improve?

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-23-2021, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
You could always send someone a PM and say "I think you should try this or that.." or "Try not to do this or that", etc. Keeping it private avoids embarrassment. There are times when I felt I could have used a dose of reality from fellow members. Once in a blue moon I would get a good kick in the butt, but not often enough. If we just pat each other on the head, how will we improve?
PMed you.
No...just kidding.

I understand what you're saying but simply hearing a recording doesn't really give me enough information to offer sound advice other than being very general. Also, if a dozen people say "great job," and I'm the only one saying it needs a bit of work, any advice I give would most likely be ignored.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 05-23-2021, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
One aspect of the AGF Recording forum that makes it effective is that it is primarily focused on recording and mixing acoustic guitar with a decent focus on VOX. Most of the other recording forums out there cover many more sources. What applies to recording bands, drums, MIDI, etc. can often not apply or is not relevant to recording acoustic guitar and it's a lesson in itself to figure out those details.
Yes, yes! That kind (often our kind) of recording is different that what much of the world needs to record. I do some of that whole rock band and even all-in-the-box electronic stuff, but I also do solo acoustic guitar, which is why this section is so valued.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 05-23-2021, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Hi Barry,

I know some people say that they want constructive criticism, but ... One of the primary rules about how to get along with people is that nobody likes criticism. Nobody.

- Glenn
Old 05-23-2021, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Barry,

I know some people say that they want constructive criticism, but ... One of the primary rules about how to get along with people is that nobody likes criticism. Nobody.

- Glenn
True.

Especially if someone criticises the one thing you think you're doing right,

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-24-2021, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Barry,

- Glenn
I'd have to disagree there Glenn ;-)

As long as it is delivered with some sensitivity and empathy then criticism or honest feedback is how we improve.

It can be frustrating me when one asks for constructive criticism and people feel they shouldn't offer it honestly. Almost all the real benefit I have gleaned from this forum has been from open and honest (and sometimes very robust) criticism and feedback - it really is the only way to improve (assuming that is what you are trying to do)

I have very rarely, if ever, felt it was personal and as such have had no reason to take it badly. In most case, if the feedback is taken on board and incorporated into the next effort, then the improvement is usually noted.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 05-24-2021, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

I'm used to criticism - I'm a married guy.

In a former career, I was a professional photographer. Before I retired from that, I was an Affiliated International Juror: qualified to judge photography at the international level. To get to that point, besides the requirement of a Master of Photography degree, I had to take a judging class, part of which was learning to how to do a constructive critique. Many participants in the international competitions would pay for a critique of their work, usually done by two affiliated jurors... a great way to learn and improve.

While we all like a pat on the back, a kind critique can be very helpful... especially if requested. I am comfortable with my ability to entertain, but I didn't try home recording until about 5 years ago - I have certainly learned a lot from the folks here who have been willing to share and offer advice.
Old 05-24-2021, 10:32 AM

I find that helping someone works much better if you tell them what *to* do, rather than simply pointing out flaws or telling them what not to do. Of course, that is necessary from time to time, but also isn't usually constructive. If you say "Don't do that," the next question is obviously, "Well, then, what should I do?" If you answer that question first, they can try something and see for themselves that it makes a difference.
Old 05-24-2021, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

As personal taste and goals vary it is often helpful when trying to give recording advice to someone to ask what recording sound they do like
and asking them to post to an example(s) of that.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 05-24-2021, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
I'd have to disagree there Glenn ;-)

As long as it is delivered with some sensitivity and empathy then criticism or honest feedback is how we improve.

It can be frustrating me when one asks for constructive criticism and people feel they shouldn't offer it honestly. Almost all the real benefit I have gleaned from this forum has been from open and honest (and sometimes very robust) criticism and feedback - it really is the only way to improve (assuming that is what you are trying to do)

I have very rarely, if ever, felt it was personal and as such have had no reason to take it badly. In most case, if the feedback is taken on board and incorporated into the next effort, then the improvement is usually noted.
Hi Wrighty,

I believe you, but I do think you are one of the small group of exceptions. This is to your credit, no doubt about it. It's a very good way to be.

But my own experience is that most people do not want to be told what they are doing wrong. Sometimes correction is the only option and there is no other choice but to redirect someone, especially when the safety of others is at stake. I was the chief engineer for a manufacturing company for 38 years so I directed a lot of people over the years. I'm sure I offended a few engineers over the years with my criticisms when they were necessary, but in general, I found ways to encourage and make corrections in a fairly gentle way.

Here is a summary from Dale Carnegie's old book, "How to Win Friends and Influence People."

Six ways to Make People Like You

Become genuinely interested in other people.
Smile.
Remember that a person's name is to that person the sweetest and most important sound in any language.
Be a good listener. ...
Talk in terms of the other person's interests.
Make the other person feel important – and do it sincerely.

Don't criticize, condemn, or complain. Human nature does not like to admit fault. ...
Give honest and sincere appreciation. Appreciation is one of the most powerful tools in the world. ...
Arouse in the other person an eager want.

"How to Win Friends & Influence People" gets a fair amount of criticism these days. I think the book title choice was very unfortunate, but there is still a lot of very good advice in this book. I read this book when I was young and used his advice in my life, not to manipulate people but to allow me to be more effective in my dealings with others. I think practicing these rules helped me to be an effective leader in my job. The fewer barriers I put between myself and others, the better communication works in both directions.

Now... back to our regular programming.

- Glenn

Last edited by Glennwillow; 05-24-2021 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-24-2021, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

I have certainly learned a lot from this forum. I am not even close to being where I want to be as a songwriter, recorder, mixer, or masterer. To me though, it's all about the journey and just trying to get better.

As for the question of presenting advice, I think it really depends on the person but I think most people don't like being told hard truths. If you take someone, for instance, who lives in a small house and can't afford to have their own recording space to outfit with the latest room treatment that their mix will never be good because of the room? Well, most people don't want to hear that they are doomed from the beginning. It's better to offer advice on what can be done easily.

I think most people like at least some reference to go on as well? For instance, if I ask "How do I figure out which are the offending frequencies in my vocals?" and the response is "Well, you just have to train your ear!" Then that does me little good. If you tell me "Generally, there are two frequency ranges that give the most issues in a male vocal and these are from 800-1000 and 1300 -1500, and if you have a poorly treated room, maybe look at the xxx range for problems" then that's helpful and gives me a place to at least start looking. In other words, being constructive is helpful.

I think most people here are kind of like me in that they don't have any formal training in any of this and little real experience. We just sometimes have no idea what we are really needing or the best way to get there. It's frustrating to the more experienced folks because we often use the wrong terms and our descriptions are lacking.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD