The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-09-2021, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
The one I got last week

Nice guitar! Tell us about it
Old 02-09-2021, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
My first electric is this Harmony BobKat circa 1966. I was nine years old when my father brought it home one Friday night. I just recently sourced parts for the tuners and cleaned it up a bit. Those gold foil D’Armond pick ups sound great all these years later. Action is better than it has any right to be. Still fun to play.

Great picture.
Old 02-09-2021, 08:33 PM

"My first electric is this Harmony BobKat circa 1966. I was nine years old when my father brought it home one Friday night. I just recently sourced parts for the tuners and cleaned it up a bit. Those gold foil D’Armond pick ups sound great all these years later. Action is better than it has any right to be. Still fun to play."

That's a cool guitar and a great picture.
Old 02-09-2021, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
The one I got last week
That a Piezo? I got one of those last summer. Not my first electric though.
Old 02-09-2021, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

A Gibson Les Paul Studio in Manhatttan Midnight Blue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LP Studio Pro Plus Manhattan Midnight Blue 1200.jpg (34.6 KB, 80 views)
Old 02-09-2021, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

A mid-60’s Fender Mustang, bought used in 1978 for about $100. Obviously way before Kurt Cobain made them desirable again. I had it for a matter of months before I graduated to an Ibanez Les Paul copy - an amazing guitar. But then I tried a strat, fell in love with it, bought one, and I’ve been a strat guy ever since...

I sold that Mustang to an old friend who was a concierge at a local hotel. He got really tight with Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top just doing favors for him. When he bought the guitar, he showed it to Gibbons, who asked him to bring it by his room. I guess he had a practice amp or something and my friend said Billy played it for about half an hour. Undoubtedly the best that little guitar ever sounded!

-Ray
Old 02-09-2021, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluside View Post
Great picture.
Thank you Bluside, and thank you TiffanyGuitar. Grandchildren always make great subjects!��
Old 02-09-2021, 11:48 PM

My first electric was bought in my 30s, I don't remember exactly when (more than 10 and less than 15 years ago). It was an Epiphone Les Paul Standard. I still have it. It is still my only solid body electric, though I shortly thereafter added an Ibanez Artcore AF-95TK hollow body (which I also still have). I would like to add a few though: a PRS (not sure the model), a Telecaster (I'm on a teacher's budget so probably either a higher end Squire or a Mexican, I guess now the Player, Fender), a Strat, and a semi-hollowbody (probably an Epi copy of a classic Gibson, but others are contenders as well). While I'll probably forever be a beginner and can't really get the signature sound out of any of these, I am a collector type, love the history, but have a strict budget (so I'm not getting vintage or even modern copies of the vintage from the name maker).
Breedlove Organic Collection Signature Concert Cutaway CE (Copper Burst)
A couple electrics
Yamaha G-231 II
Yamaha CSF3M

Wish list: it is long

Washburn WD-114S (traded)
Old 02-10-2021, 12:15 AM

My first electric was given to me by my older sister's boyfriend, who was my guitar hero at the time. I have no idea what it was, no label, super beat up, some kind of dark burst on the body. It had a small stratocaster shaped body with a large, 6 in line, headstock. It should have had two pickups, humbucking from memory, but it only had the bridge pickup, with plasticine filling the cavity where the neck pickup should have been.
At one time it supposedly belonged to the guitarist from the Little River Band (I'm Australian) but I have no idea if that is true. I'm sure it was in better nick.
I remember jumping on the neck in frustration as I had decided to refret it and failed abysmally. I was 15 and had no idea what I was doing. (I'm 60 now and still don't, tbh)
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 02-10-2021, 12:41 AM

Cort Flying V :-)
Old 02-10-2021, 12:52 AM

Baby blue Mexican made Strat.

Great value in that guitar.

Last edited by TomB'sox; 02-08-2023 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Public discussion of price not allowed
Old 02-10-2021, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
That a Piezo? I got one of those last summer. Not my first electric though.
Yes it is. I am totally loving this guitar! I think one of my two acoustics is going out the door.
Emerald X30 Woody
Traveler EG-1 Custom
Old 02-10-2021, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_jeffers View Post
Nice guitar! Tell us about it
Well, it’s a PRS SE Hollowbody II Piezo. It’s a true hollowbody made in PRS’s acoustic factory in China. It’s flame maple veneer top/back with mahogany sides. It has one center block under the bridge. The entire guitar (including the f holes) is trimmed out in beautiful flame maple. Bass/treble humbuckers are PRS 58/15 S, and the bridge is the Piezo. It has two jacks; one for magnetic only, and one for mixed mag/piezo. You can run it from the mixed jack into an electric amp and play acoustic, electric, or mixed; run it through two amp and the mixed jack becomes the piezo output.

This thing is so much fun to play. It comes strung with 10-46’s. I honestly think I’m going to sell off the acoustics after getting this.

Two nitpicks...while this is PRS’s “entry” model line (SE), it is pricey compared to their other SE’s, and I think it should have come with the nicer lampshade knobs and locking tuners.

Here is a great video on it: https://youtu.be/w2in7FmuX-E
Emerald X30 Woody
Traveler EG-1 Custom
Old 02-10-2021, 06:15 AM

I think it was a Blue Mustang.
Old 02-10-2021, 06:40 AM
Charter Member

A Harmony H77 - cherry red, about 55 years ago. Sold with Fender amp to buy my first car. Big mistake, which I realised almost right away...

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars