The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-19-2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post

Embedded the video.
Sounds good, by comparison his ‘65 sounds decidedly lower-fi but probably has all the squishy feel of the real thing. I’m not in the market for any blackface Fender amps, whether antique or new, digital or analogue, point to point or circuit board, but with the wide range of choices among the major manufacturers as well as boutique clones and originals, now is a good time to be an electric guitarist, at least as a hobby. The built in attenuation down to 0.2 of one watt makes this new amplifier especially home friendly too.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
...The built in attenuation down to 0.2 of one watt makes this new amplifier especially home friendly too.
There are a number of all-tube amps on the market that will power down to tenths of a watt, and deliver all the tone that still makes them the standard for many electric guitarists...

My own Bugera V5 Infinium has three switchable power levels (5W/1W/0.1W), cost me under $150 at a GC Holiday Coupon sale, and sees regular use at band practice, coffeehouse gigs, and mixed acoustic-electric jams...

The $249 Monoprice 15 1x12" combo - essentially a repackaged Laney Cub 12R - boasts a Celestion Seventy-80 speaker and Ruby Tubes as OEM, and can get loud enough to do a small-/medium-size club gig (depending on your style/volume needs) while still allowing you to practice at 3 AM without PO'ing your neighbors/mate/cat...

If I need the added reserve power/headroom/features of the Tonemaster Deluxe I'll reach for my Bugera V22 (which will also power down to a somewhat higher but still family-friendly level) and a Cool Cat trem pedal - total net cost less than half what Fender's asking for the TM Deluxe...

Probably sell a bunch of them (and/or the 30-pound Twin Reverb version) to many of us older players, for whom weight can be a (if not the) primary concern; personally, I'd sooner go to a head/cab rig to distribute the bulk and not compromise my tone...
Old 10-20-2019, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
There are a number of all-tube amps on the market that will power down to tenths of a watt, and deliver all the tone that still makes them the standard for many electric guitarists...

My own Bugera V5 Infinium has three switchable power levels (5W/1W/0.1W), cost me under $150 at a GC Holiday Coupon sale, and sees regular use at band practice, coffeehouse gigs, and mixed acoustic-electric jams...

The $249 Monoprice 15 1x12" combo - essentially a repackaged Laney Cub 12R - boasts a Celestion Seventy-80 speaker and Ruby Tubes as OEM, and can get loud enough to do a small-/medium-size club gig (depending on your style/volume needs) while still allowing you to practice at 3 AM without PO'ing your neighbors/mate/cat...

If I need the added reserve power/headroom/features of the Tonemaster Deluxe I'll reach for my Bugera V22 (which will also power down to a somewhat higher but still family-friendly level) and a Cool Cat trem pedal - total net cost less than half what Fender's asking for the TM Deluxe...

Probably sell a bunch of them (and/or the 30-pound Twin Reverb version) to many of us older players, for whom weight can be a (if not the) primary concern; personally, I'd sooner go to a head/cab rig to distribute the bulk and not compromise my tone...
Yes, definitely a huge price difference from the competition. Out in the styx in places where I live, the long arm distribution of Fender corp will make these available in store whereas I don’t see Monoprice, Bugera and others. To be honest with regard to guitar amplifier technology, a queue may be taken from the home stereo world where there has been a shift back to analogue from purely digital due in part to transparent audio quality that lacks density to the ear.
Old 10-20-2019, 01:51 AM

Quote:

I have the Monoprice. I got it for well under $200. The Joyo amp simulation pedals work really well in front of it. The Joyo American sound, honestly makes it sound like a Tweed, Bassman, or Twin by fooling around with the controls... and it's only $30. I also have the British model for Marshall sounds. I even got a 2 x 12" cabinet with Celeston Vintage 30's in it from Harley Benton, for a total price, with a few pedals, for MUCH less than a Fender Twin... a little more than half the price.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 10-20-2019, 03:56 AM
Charter Member

I don't consider myself an electric guitar guy but instead an acoustic guy who occasionally likes to noodle electrically in the living room from time to time. Thus my needs for an amp are probably much simpler than most of you. I've owned several Blues Jr NOS amps, and wished I'd been able to dial in the sound a bit more to not only get a nice clean tone but to get the right (for me) clean tone. I should also add that I have a soft spot for tweed coverings.

Enter the Sweetwater exclusive Fender Super Champ X2 with lacquered tweed covering and a Eminence Ragin Cajun 10" speaker https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...acquered-tweed. To my ear and my needs, it seems to check off all the boxes combining digital versatility and tube tone. Back to the title of this thread, I don't see tube amps going anywhere any time soon; but in the meantime, this little Fender hybrid works well for me...
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-20-2021 at 07:07 AM.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

There seems to be some confusion and or premature assumptions on the part of the OP.

First: that there is no difference in sound

Second: confusion about and conflating of the notion of two separate technologies, digital modeling and solid state technology.
Digital modeling and technology is not exclusively tied to , nore used only with solid state power.

As RP noted above and I did in my other post, digital modeling and technology is also being used with tube power and in fact in increasing numbers.
For example Digital/Analog (both solid state and tube ) "Hybrid" application, is now fairly common and increasing in usage numbers in both professional and amature recording studios.

Third: that advances in either digital modeling and solid state, equal the demise of tube amps.

The reality is that yes there is no question, that both solid state power and digital modeling technology is steadily advancing , which is great

The reality is there are more manufactures and choices of tube guitar amps and tube Pro Audio equipment than in the heyday of tubes which is also great , and that this manufacturing trend is not going away any time soon (thank goodness)

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 10-20-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I don't consider myself an electric guitar guy but instead an acoustic guy who occasionally likes to noodle electrically in the living room from time to time. Thus my needs for an amp are probably much simpler than most of you. I've owned several Blues Jr NOS amps, and wished I'd been able to dial in the sound a bit more to not only get a nice clean tone but to get the right (for me) clean tone. I should also add that I have a soft spot for tweed coverings.

Enter the Sweetwater exclusive Fender Super Champ X2 with lacquered tweed covering and a Eminence Ragin Cajun 10" speaker https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...acquered-tweed. To my ear and my needs, it seems to check off all the boxes combining digital versatility and tube tone. Back to the title of this thread, I don't see tube amps going anywhere any time soon; but in the meantime, this little Fender hybrid works well for me...
That looks like a hot little amp - it and PTony’s BJ Tweed with Jensen, are great choices offered by Fender, and also the Pro Jr LTD.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:57 PM

I can hear the difference, so there is a difference to me. Mostly an acoustic player but enjoy playing electric also. I have 4 solid state amps by Fender and Marshall from 15 to 100 watts. Fender Champion 100 has modeling, but it doesn't sound like a tube amp to me. I have three low watt tube heads from less-well known manufacturers and to me they sound better.

Everyone hears what they hear and likes what they like. I guess that's why there are so many choices.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:03 PM

When I bought my first decent amp a few months back it was a Princeton Reverb Reissue. If I was buying today, it would still be a PRRI.

Until all of us classic rock and blues and country fans die off, tube amps will still be made.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:52 AM

I just erased a (too?) long post in the editing process. Here's the condensed version of what I wrote.

There are a number of practicalities that make modeling systems attractive both for home/hobbyist and the working musician. Folks who have figured out how to solve for the issues that those practicalities address with their "classic" systems may discount those practicalities; but others find them attractive, at any price level. I know in my case I use modeling more and more often in a variety of guises.

The title of this thread and the original post was I assume intentionally provocative. There's no possibility that tube amps died this summer and have joined the choir invisible. Nor are they disappearing this year, or this decade etc. Furthermore, the OP talking price at the get go underestimates the degree to which they are increasingly chosen as better solutions for certain things, not cheap all I can afford solutions.

I think these new units are Fender's attempt to counter the "modeling is too complicated, I just want to plug in and go." market. In some use cases, for some users, I think these are simple solutions that some players will think are better, not cheaper approximations. Best as I can tell from the Anderton's video they sound very good.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 10-22-2019, 11:22 AM

I use my Tech 21 Classic 65 quite often. When I play outside using long extension cords, my Tweed Deluxes sound odd. The SS Tech21 is better under adverse conditions,
Old 10-22-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonics View Post
The digital amp has finally come of age. Half the weight and one third the price. If you can't hear the difference, then there is NO difference.

Even RK, who has a couple of boutique signature valve amps with his name on them, is digging it.

You are deluding yourself if you think those amps will replace tube amps. That's just silly talk.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
I just erased a (too?) long post in the editing process. Here's the condensed version of what I wrote.

The title of this thread and the original post was I assume intentionally provocative. There's no possibility that tube amps died this summer and have joined the choir invisible. Nor are they disappearing this year, or this decade etc. Furthermore, the OP talking price at the get go underestimates the degree to which they are increasingly chosen as better solutions for certain things, not cheap all I can afford solutions.
'Provocative' moi? I...couldn't...possibly...comment...
Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 10-22-2019, 12:41 PM

The problem is, as with all things Fender, you are paying quite a bit for the name and the recognizable amp configurations (ie, they look the same, but under the hood are quite different).

I have to say, these amps DO SOUND REALLY GOOD. But....... so do offerings from Roland, Boss, Blackstar and others - and for considerably less $.

To me, they are offering a similar take on things as the others and you're paying double for the name. IMHO only. YMMV

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 10-22-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Bugera V22:

$400 street - can be had for much less at your local big-box dealer during Holiday/Coupon Day sales...
I paid $340 for mine at GC by price-matching MF's 15% off sale a couple of months ago. BTW, GC's regular price is $50 above everyone else at $449.99, a dollar more than their price on the V55!

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars