The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-29-2019, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
What most don't realize is that virtually all their effect pedals are 100% digital so their sound is not a pure analog sound with a tube amp.
Oh I think the reality is most "do realize" what is going on when they are using a digital pedal.
So putting aside the fact that there are still a number of true all analog FX pedals.

It does not matter if it is "Pure analog" or not, it is still a different sound coming out of the speaker through a tube amp than a solid state (better or not, is totally subjective ) but it is different.
Because:
Even with a digital pedal in front of, or in the loop of a tube amp, the sound/tone is inclusive and is a hybrid amalgam of tonality, with its own color, and has not simply become " digital anyway" if that is your implication ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 08-31-2019 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

I haven't tried the Mustang, but I can say with the Katana it took me a lot longer than a couple of days.

I ended up downloading a lot of software developed by others and picking up a number of other people's patch files and then finding the bits i wanted to alter (like the parametric eq)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
When I bought my Gretsch I also bought a Fender Mustang LT 25 and no matter what I did it sounded like crap. It went back a couple of days later.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
I haven't tried the Mustang, but I can say with the Katana it took me a lot longer than a couple of days.

I ended up downloading a lot of software developed by others and picking up a number of other people's patch files and then finding the bits i wanted to alter (like the parametric eq)
Unfortunately, the LT25 doesn't have a provision for downloading files other than firmware updates. You can modify and save what's there, but that's it.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 09-03-2019, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

I think that is possibly a mistake on their part. It's amazing what the community has been able to put together for the Katana and it hasn't cost Rolland that much for the people to develop it all.
Quote:
Unfortunately, the LT25 doesn't have a provision for downloading files other than firmware updates. You can modify and save what's there, but that's it.
Old 12-15-2019, 06:02 PM

Im difinitely in the tube camp....but do plan on playing on of the new tone master amps from fender. Should be interesting.

2011 Martin 000-18 GE
2017 Martin 000-15m
2006 Martin D-18 GE custom Amberburst
1999 Martin OM-28-V
2018 Martin HD 28 Amberburst
1984 Gibson American SG
2013 Fender EJ Stratocaster
2019 Gibson Les Paul Honey burst "Classic"
2019 50's Baja Telecaster
Vox vt40, 1978 Deluxe Reverb, Fender Super Sonic 22 amp, lots of stomp boxes
Old 12-16-2019, 01:36 PM

There is WAY more to it than just tubes vs transistors when comparing the sound of tube vs solid-state amps. The circuitry between them is different. Tubes can clip just as harshly as transistors. In both cases other factors come into play that color the sound. It could well be the color provided by those other things (such as transformers, underpowered power supplies causing SAG, design of the tone control circuitry, choice of speakers, cabinet design, etc.) that many people like. It's probably better to consider each amp as a complete system when comparing them, not simply as tubes vs transistors.
We all tend to hear different things that we like or dislike, so it's really just personal preference. There is no one size fits all "BEST", only what's best for you in your particular application.

Last edited by srbell; 12-16-2019 at 01:48 PM.
Old 12-16-2019, 03:31 PM

Default What makes a tube amp better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBDiagMan View Post
...Tube amps...do not change the shape of the wave being amplified...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntieDiluvian View Post
...If you are using the amp as your primary gain/overdrive/distortion stage...it makes a HUGE difference - and digital just ain't quite there...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
One thing I have learned with the new dsp amps is the near infinite configurability also means there is a lot more opportunity to make it sound like crap...
Quote:
When I bought my Gretsch I also bought a Fender Mustang LT 25 and no matter what I did it sounded like crap...
About sums it up for me...
Old 12-16-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srbell View Post
There is WAY more to it than just tubes vs transistors when comparing the sound of tube vs solid-state amps. The circuitry between them is different. Tubes can clip just as harshly as transistors. In both cases other factors come into play that color the sound. It could well be the color provided by those other things (such as transformers, underpowered power supplies causing SAG, design of the tone control circuitry, choice of speakers, cabinet design, etc.) that many people like. It's probably better to consider each amp as a complete system when comparing them, not simply as tubes vs transistors.
We all tend to hear different things that we like or dislike, so it's really just personal preference. There is no one size fits all "BEST", only what's best for you in your particular application.
Agree. I look at it from the point of view of evaluating each electric guitar and amp as an individual instrument, and combinations of one to another should be evaluated on a unique basis without resorting to broad generalizations of solid state vs tube.
Old 12-16-2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulp1960 View Post
I'm old school and love the sound of valve amps and I like the setup of a cleanish valve amp fed by pedals to get your tone palette.

I used to have a Marshal lead and bass 20 head (2061x model) in the early 80s and never realised at the time what a gem of an amp that was.

I've tried a Fender Mustang 1 and quite liked it for practicing. I borrowed a Yamaha THR10 for a week and thought it was a joke. It had very little clean headroom and volume but what can you expect with those diddy speakers?
The THR100 though is quite a beast.

I'm not convinced at all by the tone from the Boss Katana series and good luck using those built-in FX during a gig when you need to quickly change an FX setting.

I do presently own a Marshall Code 25 modelling amp which is ok for practicing but it has many shortcomings as well.

I do really like my Scuffham Amps S-Gear plugin though and use that for headphone playing. I wish I could have that sound in a real SS amp.
I have Yamaha 10c and it has a boatload of headroom. Maybe you got a dud. It also takes pedals really, really well and sounds very close to a tube amp.

As far as which is better or whatever. I have a tube amp. I like it a lot and it's got a certain vibe to it that's great. But, it can basically only do one basic kind of sound signature.

Playing through a computer with Positive Grid or playing through a THR 10c (also just got a 30ii), you get many, many, different types of sound signatures that sound really, really good nowadays.

It's not so cut and dry now. It was 10 to 15 years ago... solid state sounded horrible. But nowadays, with the digital technology and profilers, it is very close.

I was just actually thinking of taking a looper and running the same sound through a tube amp and a modeling amp and see who can tell which is which. I might do that soon.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars