The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-21-2013, 10:17 PM

Epiphone Valve standard?

Vintage Gibson skylark?

Last edited by LewisBrookshire; 11-21-2013 at 10:33 PM.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reviveourhomes View Post
Epiphone Valve standard?

Vintage Gibson skylark?
In order:

1] Phenomenal - if you mod 'em (IME the Bugera V5 does it better if you don't); there's a whole industry that grew up around these little amps - transformers, circuit mod kits, tube packages - so if you're the tinkering kind and don't need tone controls (or a lot of clean headroom) this could be for you

2] Gibson's answer to the Champ - and as a "vintage" piece it'll cost you about as much as a silverface Champ/Vibro Champ (speaking for myself I'd prefer the latter)
Old 11-22-2013, 07:53 PM

Steve I so right. The Epi with a few mods is a very cool amp.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:57 PM

Here is another......

Ampeg GVT 52-112
Old 11-23-2013, 07:27 AM

I'm an Ampeg lover from way back - still have the top-panel Rocket I got in May '64, played through more Reverberockets/Geminis/Portaflexes than I can count, set up my Bugera V22 to duplicate the tone of the NYC studio "key club" Gemini II/B12-XT amps - so you're hitting pretty close to home here, and I'll offer my opinions in that spirit...

If you're looking for a mid-powered tube amp with honest-to-Linden, NJ Ampeg tone, this isn't it; while they tried to duplicate the cosmetics of the early-70's Magnavox/Ampegs they failed to capture their unique tonal mojo (think "Sticky Fingers" era Rolling Stones), and although not really "bad" the tone of the GVT Series is generic at best - something a vintage Ampeg never was. Face it, there's only so much you can do in a mass-production amp with the same circuits everyone else is using - in spite of their claims to the contrary - and in case you never noticed they haven't been too well-received in the market, to the point that many former dealers have discontinued the line (Sam Ash was blowing them out below cost a few months back); simply put, there's better tone to be had for less money, and IMO Ampeg would have been better-served by following Fender's lead and reissuing their classic mid-60's designs at fair market prices - as they attempted to do a few years back under SLM leadership. FYI a current B-15 or '63 Reverberocket reissue will set you back around $5K ; a good vintage piece will cost about one-fourth to one-third of that, an SLM-era Super Jet or Reverberocket - closer in tone and vibe to the originals than anything since 1970 - about $450-650 depending on model and condition (if you can find someone stupid/crazy enough to sell theirs)...

My thoughts at this point: pack up your guitar, fill your gas tank, hit all the music stores you can, play everything you can, and get a more accurate appraisal of both your own needs and the types/brands/cost of the equipment that can fulfill them; while serendipity can result in some incredible finds, it's better to go into this with a clear idea of what you're really after...
Old 11-23-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post

My thoughts at this point: pack up your guitar, fill your gas tank, hit all the music stores you can, play everything you can, and get a more accurate appraisal of both your own needs and the types/brands/cost of the equipment that can fulfill them; while serendipity can result in some incredible finds, it's better to go into this with a clear idea of what you're really after...
At this point that is what I am ready to do. The more I search the more options I find. I feel like I am drowning in choices! Haha

Thanks again for all the information guys!
Old 11-23-2013, 01:43 PM

Ok, I think I have narrowed it down to two choices. Both are local guys who I know and trust.

- Vox AC15C1 upgraded with bright cap mod, Accutronics reverb tank, and brand new JJ tubes installed for $375

- Used but dead mint stock Fender Hotrod Deluxe with foot petal for $360

Which would you choose??
Old 11-23-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reviveourhomes View Post
Ok, I think I have narrowed it down to two choices. Both are local guys who I know and trust.

- Vox AC15C1 upgraded with bright cap mod, Accutronics reverb tank, and brand new JJ tubes installed for $375

- Used but dead mint stock Fender Hotrod Deluxe with foot petal for $360

Which would you choose??
Go with the Vox!! Great deal, great amp. I personally do not like the Hotrod Deluxe, and a lot of people agree.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:08 PM

If it's a chrome-panel HR Deluxe, pay the guy before he changes his mind - and use it well and often...
Old 11-23-2013, 03:28 PM

Steve, not sure how to tell. Here is the CL add for His HR Deluxe

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/msg/4167429552.html
Old 11-23-2013, 04:08 PM

If it says "Fender - Deluxe" on the front (as this one does) it's got the chrome control panel - the new black-panel/Celestion-equipped amps just say "Fender" - and I'd move on it before he gets another offer...
Old 11-23-2013, 04:13 PM

Both amps are local to you. Go play them both and make your decision. Steve and I obviously have different tastes in amps. Neither of us are wrong. The amp will be yours, not ours.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:14 PM

This was has the Eminence speaker not the Celestion speaker. I am going to play it at Church tomorrow and if i like it it will be coming home with me. Thanks again for all the help!
Old 11-23-2013, 05:20 PM

The HRDLX is the number one selling amp year after year. Go anywhere and this is what is on the back line for most venues. It has a wonderful lush clean tone and takes pedals better than any other amp. If there is ever a problem, everyone services them. Buy it and a few pedals and you are gold.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:44 PM

I'm not sure I've seen the Yamaha THRs in here after a few pages.

There's quite a lot of love for these interesting products. They have quality tone and feel at true home or modest practice volumes. I think the effect they have comes from it being two 5 watt amps in stereo along with the engineered enclosure.

They are USB recording devices in addition to option of battery powered amp. Both TDPRI and Gear Page have had epic threads on these with a lot of people loving them.

For all the greatness keep in mind they're they're not amps for jamming with a drummer unless it would be going into the or a PA system.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars