The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

Default MacKenzie & Marr Guitars

Now THIS is what I call eCommerce Marketing:

Would you buy a guitar you'd never played from a company you don't know?
Chances are you'd never heard of MacKenzie & Marr Guitars before your first visit to our website. You're not alone. We're not well known.
Our prices look great. The guitars seem well built. Reviews from customers are glowing but still....who are we? Should you trust us?

Reason #1
We know buying a new guitar is a leap of faith so we offer every customer our 7 day "Love It Or Leave It" money-back guarantee.

If you don't fall in love with your new McKenzie & Marr guitar within a week we'll take it back and issue a full refund (including shipping).

In 10 years of selling thousands of acoustic guitars, we've been asked to make good on that promise less than two dozen times. Over half the people who requested and received a "Love It Or Leave It" refund subsequently bought another model.

Reason #2
Buying a MacKenzie & Marr guitar means dealing directly with the brand, no middle women (or men).
The price advantages are obvious but it goes beyond getting a solid wood acoustic at 1/2 the price of other brands. When you need help picking a guitar or need after-sales support you're not stuck filtering your request through store clerks or dealer help lines. Speak to us directly any time you like. (within reason of course..... please - no midnight phone calls!)

Reason #3
Eventually your spouse is going to find out you bought another guitar. That's the moment when you'll be even more thrilled it's made by MacKenzie & Marr because when they see the price you paid they'll go from thinking you're GAS is completely out of hand to seeing you as a financial genius. (At least, in theory that's how it's supposed to work.)

Still have questions? We'd love to hear from you.
Drop us a line

I'm tempted to try the "Tofino" - https://www.macmarr.com/store/tofino

Last edited by FingahPickah; 09-10-2020 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-10-2020, 08:26 PM

Certainly can't go wrong with that kind of policy, as far as a buyer is concerned.
If you don't like it return it.
Certainly worth consideration.
Old 09-10-2020, 08:45 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I seem to recall there was a thread about this brand some time ago. All I recall about them is that the two guys behind the guitars made a pitch some years ago on the Canadian reality TV show “Dragon’s Den” (later spawned the U.S. equivalent “Shark Tank”) where Kevin O’Leary (a player himself) bought into them. A bit of no real help trivia.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:34 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Here’s a link to a thread on M&M which contains links to other M&M threads, plus there are a bunch more if you do a search.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:43 PM

I personally will never buy a guitar made in China.
Old 09-10-2020, 10:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrs2 View Post
Your loss.

Anyway, these guitars seem pretty interesting. That all solid wood 12 fret 00 sounds really nice in the videos I listened to.
Old 09-11-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Agreed, me too
Old 09-11-2020, 01:53 PM

Difficult to buy a guitar having never played one from the manufacturer before but sounds like you have a great return policy.

Last edited by Kerbie; 09-27-2020 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Quote deleted; Adjusted accordingly
Old 09-11-2020, 03:04 PM

My best friend and playing partner has one of their dreadnaughts. It's a decent enough guitar but no match for his Martin D-28. For the money, they're a good deal.

Ironically, his name is MacKenzie (no relation)

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot

Last edited by Parlorman; 09-13-2020 at 07:43 AM.
Old 09-11-2020, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Just curious.. have you ever played any all-solid Eastman guitars or mandolins? Or any of the Mackenzie & Marr models?
Old 09-12-2020, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Sad for you.

Last edited by banjopickingman; 09-12-2020 at 12:51 AM.
Old 05-19-2022, 10:31 PM

Default Poor quality, to say the least

I have seen 5 M&M guitars here in my city and each one was needing serious work right out of the box.
3 had to be returned for warranty repairs (one guitar had to go back twice) and the entire time the attitude of Marr was that the customers didn't maintain the guitars correctly (as in humidity control).
Well that was BS since these made in China guitars were defective and/or horrifically set up right out of the box!
Beautiful wood though - these are very pretty. Terrible customer relations and they are badly in need of some tech help to set up.

Last edited by Acousticado; 05-19-2022 at 11:20 PM. Reason: You’re new here. Your post has been edited. Respect the rules.
Old 05-20-2022, 02:32 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Nice in some ways but not nice enough to keep....

I tried one, and while it was classy/beautiful in terms of fit and finish and a true bargain consider the all-solid wood construction, the sound was m'eh, to me anyway. It was an OM but I don't remember the model. Plus - like the vast majority of Pac Rim guitars (the exceptions being Eastman and some Alvarez models, a couple others....) it had a 1 11/16" nut with exceptionally tight string separation, much more so than it needed to be and I would have given it a chance to settle in for a while before deciding to keep or sell. I have pretty narrow fingers of average length and can usually deal with 1 11/6" nut width but not this one. So back it went. The price was very reasonable and I think somewhere in there it had a good voice that was waiting to come out. But if I can't play the thing, what's the use? I do have to say those guys were great to deal with, however. I sincerely wish them the best, getting into the guitar biz is hard, now more than ever.

Now why oh why won't the other companies make more guitars with 1 3/4" nut width???!

Gene

Bourgeois OM-150
Martin D-35 Seth Avett
Martin CEO 1r
and others...
Old 05-21-2022, 09:44 AM

Default Mackenzie & Marr guitars, continued

If you want details about some customer "experiences" let me know. You'll think twice about buying one of these.
Old 05-21-2022, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditdajow10 View Post
If you want details about some customer "experiences" let me know. You'll think twice about buying one of these.
As a long time owner of a Mackenzie and Marr guitar, I speak first hand to the quality of both the instrument and the customer service I have been provided over the years. John has always responded professionally and in a timely fashion. I have nothing but good things to say and would not hesitate to purchase from then again.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion