The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 05-18-2022, 05:06 PM

Default Bridge options

IÂ’ve recently acquired what I think is best described as a Benedetto clone. A friend built it in accordance with the Benedetto book with a couple of tweaks the most obvious one is itÂ’s zero fret. Some might have objections to a zero fret but they make sense to me. The guitar came fitted with a beautifully crafted and well fitted solid wooden bridge exactly the same species as the wooden tailpiece and pickguard. The action though it played easily I felt was high and the guitar was strung with round wound D Adarrios that definitely werenÂ’t 12s. My preference is for a lower action with heavier strings. The only other archtop I have access to is my Godin 5th Ave non cutaway acoustic which I modded with a beefed up scratch plate and a neck mounted Kent Armstrong pickup. Since adding the pickup the Godin has always had Thomastik flat 12s on it. It sounds fine and plays easily. I want to experiment with gauges and bridge heights. I canÂ’t imagine using anything other than Thomastiks but IÂ’m tempted to put 13s on, and also to try some Newtone archtop strings. My intention is to mod the original bridge but I need to establish where I want the action to be first so IÂ’ve fitted a run of the mill adjustable bridge but itÂ’s pretty floppy and can lean at a precarious angle I can push it back straight but it goes against the grain to make any decisions based on such a low grade piece of kit. IÂ’m looking for suggestions as to where I can find a good quality bridge should I be considering a temporary Tom type bridge so I can experience max adjustment ?
Any thoughts?
Old 05-19-2022, 05:52 AM

I would get an adjustable two piece archtop bridge and fit it to the top vs modifying the original.

There are a few other styles available. I use this one on my Eastman mandocello that is currently strung as a six string.

I use 13's on most of my guitars, including my Eastman archtop. I've also added the Kent Armstrong floating neck pickup.
Old 05-19-2022, 06:48 AM

Where did you get that floppy run-of-the-mill bridge?

Using an adjustable bridge is a good idea if you want to figure out what your ideal action/gauge combination is. I would however keep in mind that the bridge is crucial for the sound, esp. the acoustic sound. If that is in anyway important to you, get a good quality adjustable and stick as close as you can to the design of the original bridge. Properties to consider are wood species, full-width base or 2-footed design, base footprint area and whether or not the original bridge has a bone cap.

Not only will this allow you to predict better how the guitar will sound with the reworked original bridge, it will also allow you to swap back and forth.There's a reason most archtops have a means to dial in the action so there may well be times you want to do that (and then you can just put back the other saddle).

Congrats with the purchase btw. Can this thread be complete without pics?

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 05-19-2022, 03:46 PM

The temporary bridge was sourced on eBay it’s no where near the quality of what’s on my old Godin or of a Schatten piezo bridge I used have on a Manouche style guitar. I could canabalise the Godin but it’s got such a comfy action that I’d rather use it as a reference.
Yes no pics is a bit remiss of me I’ve not tried to post pics before so I’ve copied a couple of pics to Dropbox
Here’s the links
https://www.dropbox.com/s/liv01rj8es...41272.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lzlr05243f...41110.jpg?dl=0
Thanks for the advice chaps
Old 05-19-2022, 03:53 PM

This may or may not work
Old 05-19-2022, 04:19 PM

Beautiful guitar! I'm a bit surprised by the bridge design. The advantage is that 2-footed bridges are easier to match to the top; WD Music even sell a model that they claim auto-adapts.

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops