The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-03-2021, 12:37 PM

Default Adjustable Bridge on Emeralds

I'm curious about other's thoughts regarding Emerald's optional adjustable bridge vs the fixed bridge. It challenges my sensibilities looking at an adjustable bridge on an acoustic guitar.

Does anyone think this effects sound? Sustain?
Old 12-04-2021, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

No experience with it yet. But, I think it is butt ugly on an acoustic guitar. Just my .02
Old 12-10-2021, 01:06 AM

Yeah, the looks aren't to my liking either. If I buy an Emerald it won't have a P/U so the adjustable bridge isn't even part of the equation.

I posed the question because my curiosity has me wondering about sound transfer (acoustic only) to the top via adjustable saddles.
Old 12-10-2021, 01:39 AM

IMO the adjustable bridge without the "wings" on the Virtuo looks much better. Emerald should make that one standard.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 12-10-2021, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
IMO the adjustable bridge without the "wings" on the Virtuo looks much better. Emerald should make that one standard.
Totally agree!
Old 12-11-2021, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
I think it’s well suited to the Virtuo, as it’s primarily an electric guitar. On the acoustics, I much prefer the wider bridge - it looks much more appropriate, and probably has some functional benefit.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 12-14-2021, 01:14 PM

I will be the contrarian on the thread and from an astetic viewpoint think it fits the high-tech vibe of carbon fiber guitars.... I like it on all carbon and even on the veneer versions as well.
Old 12-14-2021, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixedgear60 View Post
I will be the contrarian on the thread and from an astetic viewpoint think it fits the high-tech vibe of carbon fiber guitars.... I like it on all carbon and even on the veneer versions as well.
I agree. It isn't like Emerald guitars have been careful to not break traditional guitar building rules. I think Alistair did a great job designing it, especially in how it works aesthetically with the rest of the instrument.
Old 12-14-2021, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

It’s interesting how many innovations in the acoustic guitar world are challenged. I suspect it’s as much to do with tradition as it is aesthetics. Acoustic guitars aren’t meant to have adjustable bridges, so we’re automatically suspicious.

It’s good to have choices.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 12-18-2021, 10:24 AM

Just received my X20 with the Ghost+K&K. I don't have any issues with the visual aesthetics of the adjustable bridge, sounds great too!

The intonation is a bit off so we'll see in the coming days how the adjustable bridge works getting that dialed in.
Old 02-05-2022, 09:49 PM

Sorry if im buying an emerald im not looking for anything traditional... i mean look at it. Lol
The bridge should be of least concern..
Intonation is never right on any guitar. Especially acoustics.
These have been on elec guitars for 50 yrs..about time
Acoustics get adj bridges..plus if you want
The x10 with midi you have to have it.

Last edited by varmonter; 02-05-2022 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-16-2022, 03:42 PM

So now that there are already several owners of X20 or X30 Emeralds with adjustable bridges out there, how do you feel about it? Would you go again same route? Is the acoustic sound transfer to the top same good as on the trad bridge? I am a bit of tone purist and puzzled if I will love it acoustically?
Old 02-17-2022, 08:47 AM

I recently posted about my X20 Ghost adjustment issues on another thread.

Regarding sound, in the short time I've had it, I am really impressed. Having peizos under each string really gives some separation to the sound of each string resulting in a great balanced. Has a bit of a piano quality to it. I got the Ghost+KK combo so can dial in warmth and body. No loss of sustain that I have experienced.
Old 02-18-2022, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZebraKing View Post
I recently posted about my X20 Ghost adjustment issues on another thread.

Regarding sound, in the short time I've had it, I am really impressed. Having peizos under each string really gives some separation to the sound of each string resulting in a great balanced. Has a bit of a piano quality to it. I got the Ghost+KK combo so can dial in warmth and body. No loss of sustain that I have experienced.
How does it sound when not plugged in, any negative effect from that bridge design. I image it’s a tough question to answer unless you’ve owned another Emerald with a traditional bridge.
Old 02-21-2022, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
How does it sound when not plugged in, any negative effect from that bridge design. I image itÂ’s a tough question to answer unless youÂ’ve owned another Emerald with a traditional bridge.
Thats exactly what I was asking about - does this adjustable bridge change anything tonaly? If YES, what difference do you hear when you play the guitar not plugged in?

I know that on wooden acoustics the impact of bridge mass on the sound can be critical and can change how the guitar behaves, sounds and sustains. So the luthiers go for proper weight to stiffness ratio of bridge for particular guitar size. I presume the new adjustable bridge on Emerald is heavier (or not?), so did anyone experienced how the tone, sustain or response is changed?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber