The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-12-2021, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I'm not quite clear you "had" but do not now ? Or you have but have not used them ??

Question ,,,,Are not hearing the attack transient on your RAW (no processing ) recording ? If yes then first does the Audient (And DAW ) have input monitoring ability ?? Because if you are hearing this reduced transient response on RAW recordings then it could be you may be experiencing a system latency issue

If the answer to my first question is still have why not use the AT 4050 for center ?

Pretty certain it's not the HP's as their analog response is virtually instantaneous

Side note about above try setting your compressor to a slow attack time (this will let the transient's thru before it starts compressing)
Also if you are using a reverb, try running it on its own parallel aux track and set it at least 50 ms pre delay
I have pretty much solved the transient attack( or the harmonic trebles transients) Problem. I believe the problem was the Bass masking the treble transient attack. It was only happening when I was Striking a chord hard. On soft playing, single notes there was not problem. I believe the problem was caused by proximity effect, or just the raw bass power of my Dread when hit hard. I use a .59 for my sixth string.
The power of mic placement. Which some have stated, as making the most dramatic effect of the recording chain. One, two, three inches can turn the tide. It did for me.
All it took was pointing my #2 mic behind the bridge, instead of between the bridge and the soundhole. I make detailed full page diagrams so that I can return to a mic placement set up. I even have Wooden measuring sticks that I cut down for different lengths that I need. Makes measuring distances easier.
I do love the power of a Dread, and the endless headroom. Important for a harder player like myself. However, it has also been noted by some engineers that Dreads are slightly harder to record than those with slightly smaller bouts. I think the exception is Jumbos like the SJ-200 where the bout is larger but the depth of the guitar is less. So I believe my problem was simply a type of bass masking.
Yes, I still own a pair of AT4050's and plan on experimenting with one of them sometime next week as a center channel. I also have an old electric condenser AKG (somewhat similar to an 451) That I bought over 40 years ago, that I will try as well.
Very briefly, for a two week period about 4 years ago, I owned a pair of Gefell's M295. They have a nickle capsule. I was entranced by the nickles capsules ability to reproduce fast transients. Ultimately, the M295 has an extreme bass roll off and when compared the Schoeps. I rented a Schoeps to compare against and ultimate found The M295 not as well suited to capture the low end of my dread. The M295 also has a lift in the trebles as well. But the extremely fast transient response still haunts me and would love to try out the M296. The M296 mic has a flat frequency response with only a small gentle 2 db rise in the trebles. I believe ChuckS uses these and is very happy with their results. Might make a nice center mic? However, not sure that an Omni would be a good choice for center channel. I will experiment with one AT4050 in Omni, cardiod and even figure 8 for a center channel.
Bottom line though, Not sure sure I need the center channel...now that I am getting a better sound. Yet, I do love to experiment. So I am sure I will continue to explore with a center channel.
Very happy with the Buzz Audio Velox Stereo Optical compressor. Super smooth and retains the character of the transients. I love having the parallel mix knob directly on the unit. Allows me to experiment while playing a bit easier. Just a few days ago, one person had this to say about his SOC-M. Which is nearly the same as mine compressor(the SOC-M has mid side processing). "I am going to leave it at this, it is the best compressor for my detailed, clear, slightly enhanced aesthetic and strong preference for perfect calibration/precise accuracy that I have ever used. For context, I have owned and enjoyed but, ultimately sold: an LA-2A, (2) FCS P4 DMS, (2) RS 124, (2) Retro 176, a Retro Sta-Level, a Neve MBP and a Locomotive 14B, probably others I have forgotten."
Old 06-12-2021, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Maybe you already know this BUT Just checked both the Audient and Logic Pro X. So the Audient does not appear to have direct input monitoring... But Logic does have "Low Latency mode" which by passes your plugins while recording,,, but when engaged should get you the lowest latency possible
Understanding my Audient, or any interface is one of my biggest problems. One of the reasons I bought the Audient is because I thought it was set up more like and old console with sends and returns. Do not understand why there are not more interfaces with this feature. I love simplicity. Funny, I can build websites easily, alter pictures, but understanding the Routing of interfaces and Daws throws me for a big loop. I think part of it is just a mental block and the confusing recording terminology.
As it turns out, the Audient still is not that simple when it comes to routing. I got on the phone with Audient and they told me how to get direct monitoring from the Audient and it is set up as so. All those internal routing buttons! Drives me crazy.
I am a pretty mathematical, logic based learner. I have done well throughout my life solving problems because of this. The problem with computers and interfaces, is they are not based on logic, they are based on memorizing features. More often than not it is about memorizing features and routes, than about using math & logic. It is just a hump that I have to get over. A stifling mental block that I have in understanding how things work in the routing world. And again, lots of it has to do with terminology.
Sidechain? Oh my, this term and how it is used in certain instances confuses me. I have a queery out to Buzz audio about how he is using it to describe the Bass in mode. I believe it means that when it is in, it is bypassing compressing below 170hz(Thus only compressing above 170hz). However the way that it is stated, sentence structure, with the use of the word(Sidechain) could mean something additional such as a roll off.
To be totally truthful, I have spent so little time with my Daw, Audient, in its internal intricacies. Lots to learn.
Old 06-12-2021, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
Understanding my Audient, or any interface is one of my biggest problems. One of the reasons I bought the Audient is because I thought it was set up more like and old console with sends and returns. Do not understand why there are not more interfaces with this feature. I love simplicity. Funny, I can build websites easily, alter pictures, but understanding the Routing of interfaces and Daws throws me for a big loop. I think part of it is just a mental block and the confusing recording terminology.
As it turns out, the Audient still is not that simple when it comes to routing. I got on the phone with Audient and they told me how to get direct monitoring from the Audient and it is set up as so. All those internal routing buttons! Drives me crazy.
I am a pretty mathematical, logic based learner. I have done well throughout my life solving problems because of this. The problem with computers and interfaces, is they are not based on logic, they are based on memorizing features. More often than not it is about memorizing features and routes, than about using math & logic. It is just a hump that I have to get over. A stifling mental block that I have in understanding how things work in the routing world. And again, lots of it has to do with terminology.
Sidechain? Oh my, this term and how it is used in certain instances confuses me. I have a queery out to Buzz audio about how he is using it to describe the Bass in mode. I believe it means that when it is in, it is bypassing compressing below 170hz(Thus only compressing above 170hz). However the way that it is stated, sentence structure, with the use of the word(Sidechain) could mean something additional such as a roll off.
To be totally truthful, I have spent so little time with my Daw, Audient, in its internal intricacies. Lots to learn.
Well to be candid it is usually the unfamiliar terminology that seems to lack logic or is confusing , and yes that has to be learned from memorization . But even for a lay person like me, there is a certain logic to the signal flow in both the analog and digital Domain ....
For example most DAW's mixer GUI's (the way it looks ) are set up to more or less, mimic Analog console channel strips
So in Logic the Chanel strip basically has the signal come in the channel strip Input.(and even though the Input and Output buttons are located in the middle of the channel strip ). the signal flow then goes to the top and down. thru the insert section -- then send section then to the pan and fader section and then out the Output .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 06-12-2021 at 01:08 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD