The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-29-2022, 12:03 AM

I’ve shimmed with Bob Colossi’s Ebony shim kit and it worked out great. My high nylon guitar came with multiple shims for adjustment. I wouldn’t hesitate shimming.
Old 10-29-2022, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

I have a Furch that had a factory-installed shim - that was only a fraction of the slot length). I didn't know it was there until I removed the saddle for sanding to lower the action. Instead of sanding I just took out the shim. Didn't notice any change in tone. I was surprised that it arrived from the factory like that.
Old 10-29-2022, 12:12 PM

lowering the string height[the action]-bringing the underside of the string(s0closer to the fret top should not change the tone etc=Why should it?
but changing the string[s] diameter!,.. especially noticeable on the treble(thinner] strings WILL cause an audible change in resulting tone & volume produced(logical)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair