The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-14-2020, 02:32 PM

Default Frans Elferink Tonemaster custom

Hello folks, time to share a few build pics if I may of my incoming Tonemaster from the Dutch luthier Frans Elferink. The guitar is settling in and due in about two weeks.

Frans is primarily an arch top builder and has beautiful creations in the hands of some very fine Jazz players, but for this build he has indulged my requests for a flat top/ carved back, of which there are a few examples by other renowned luthiers appearing more and more.

Specs :

Tonemaster flat top
Light brown sunburst, Selmer style cutaway,

42cm measured across lower bout

Tappered from 90mm to 100mm

Scale length 63,5cm ( 25”)

Nut 45mm (58mm at 14e fret)

Master grade European spruce (flat top with Martin style scalloped X bracing)

European flamed maple back (arched)

European flamed maple rims

Ebony fingerboard

Ebony Bridge

Schaller M6 gold with ebody buttons

Highlander ip1 fitted
I’m over the moon with the results and Frans has been an absolute gent with my requests
I play in a jazz/blues quartet and solo gigs were this will be sent through my Schertler Jam 400.

Will update/post some clips when it arrives in a couple of weeks

Last edited by barthy303; 02-14-2020 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-14-2020, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

Cool guitar, thanks for sharing...
Old 02-14-2020, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Cool guitar, thanks for sharing...

Thanks for reply
Old 03-24-2020, 01:14 PM

Hard bunch to please with only 1 comment or just maybe not a hip name on the headstock but happy to say my Elferink custom arrived yesterday amid this lockdown..which is great for me confined to indoors and ‘working’ from home

Frans Elferink traditionally makes Archtop guitars but has made some custom Tele types and Nylon flat tops and of course indulged me in my new carved archback/ flat top and to see I’m delighted is an understatement. The fit and finish is worthy of a guitar 3 times the price and almost certainly unique in anything he has built so far. I play a cross section of tunes from Blues /Jazz and more trad picking pieces in this certainly fits the bill for solo gigging.
Fitted with a Highlander IP1
First forays into recording with just an iPhone but here is a snapshot.

https://youtu.be/dfWfHNNI75s
Old 03-24-2020, 02:35 PM
AGF Sponsor

Your new guitar sound beautiful to me.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:51 PM

Very smooth, sophisticated, and compelling voice to this guitar. A beautiful piece of work, too. Nothing like a new handmade instrument to make one appreciate the good days of life and endure the bad. I think you are going to find a lot of new tunes on your new Elferink. Best, Jack
Old 03-24-2020, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Your new guitar sound beautiful to me.

Thanks Bruce
Old 03-24-2020, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwills57 View Post
Very smooth, sophisticated, and compelling voice to this guitar. A beautiful piece of work, too. Nothing like a new handmade instrument to make one appreciate the good days of life and endure the bad. I think you are going to find a lot of new tunes on your new Elferink. Best, Jack

Thanks Jack, indeed if there was ever a time to hunker down with a new guitar it’s now, stay safe
Old 03-24-2020, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Just saw this one--looks and sounds beautiful!

Congrats and enjoy!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 03-24-2020, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barthy303 View Post
Hard bunch to please with only 1 comment or just maybe not a hip name on the headstock but happy to say my Elferink custom arrived yesterday amid this lockdown..which is great for me confined to indoors and ‘working’ from home

Frans Elferink traditionally makes Archtop guitars but has made some custom Tele types and Nylon flat tops and of course indulged me in my new carved archback/ flat top and to see I’m delighted is an understatement. The fit and finish is worthy of a guitar 3 times the price and almost certainly unique in anything he has built so far. I play a cross section of tunes from Blues /Jazz and more trad picking pieces in this certainly fits the bill for solo gigging.
Fitted with a Highlander IP1
First forays into recording with just an iPhone but here is a snapshot.

https://youtu.be/dfWfHNNI75s
Thanks for sharing the video....

Don’t let the lack of commentary/applause in this thread be interpreted as an overall lack of praise. Over the years when I have shared archtop, gypsy or nylon string builds, there seems to be a lack of participation. I think that Frans built you a unique and beautiful instrument. Carved back flattops are rare birds and Frans being a well known EU luthier is likely not known to many flattop players here. Being the owner of three carved back flattop guitars (two steel string and one nylon string) I believe that they do certain things exceedingly well. Thanks again for taking the time to share it here on AGF.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Just saw this one--looks and sounds beautiful!

Congrats and enjoy!

Thanks Nemoman
Old 03-24-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Thanks for sharing the video....

Don’t let the lack of commentary/applause in this thread be interpreted as an overall lack of praise. Over the years when I have shared archtop, gypsy or nylon string builds, there seems to be a lack of participation. I think that Frans built you a unique and beautiful instrument. Carved back flattops are rare birds and Frans being a well known EU luthier is likely not known to many flattop players here. Being the owner of three carved back flattop guitars (two steel string and one nylon string) I believe that they do certain things exceedingly well. Thanks again for taking the time to share it here on AGF.

Thanks to you and your build threads which intrigued me to search a little deeper on this build concept and a certain Monteleone I got my hands on one afternoon.. this is certainly a great combination of flat/arched tones that Frans has pulled off
Old 03-24-2020, 08:14 PM

The vid does the appearance of the guitar more justice as compared to the above pictures, the moving angles shows off the sunburst more. And then you played the first chord, and I said to myself, "Ooow".
Old 03-24-2020, 11:38 PM

Nice sunburst - is that burst hand rubbed?
Old 03-25-2020, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
The vid does the appearance of the guitar more justice as compared to the above pictures, the moving angles shows off the sunburst more. And then you played the first chord, and I said to myself, "Ooow".

Yeah I know what you’re saying and in person it pops even more.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop