The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-11-2020, 08:25 AM

Default Cypress with Rosie

Hello everyone,

I visited Rosie Heydenrych of Turnstone guitars this week to try out some new guitars, two of which featured a soundboard wood that I was completely unfamiliar with, English-grown Monterey Cypress. I really enjoyed playing these guitars, have a listen and let me know what you think - as ever they were recorded with a pair of Gefell M300's, no EQ, reverb or effects

Here's a 16" TG model in Cocobolo and Monterey Cypress

and here's a smaller TM model (15" lower bout) in Fenland Black Oak and Monterey Cypress

I also got the chance to play one of Rosie's first cutaway guitars, a TM in Brazilian Mahogany and Alpine Spruce

All the best

Michael
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

The two cypress guitars are very intriguing. It is like they have a kind of earthy refinement to the tone. A dark elegance. Nice playing, as always, Michael.

Best,
Jayne
Old 02-11-2020, 10:55 AM

Beautiful sound on that oak/Monterey cypress. Challenges preconceptions. But between the excellent luthier and player, how am I supposed to judge the quality of those tonewoods.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

I believe that Monterey Cyprus is the English version of what we call Port Orford Cedar. Maybe a Luthier or two will chime in.
Steve
Old 02-11-2020, 12:23 PM

on the thread title, although I did assume before opening that it would be about a cypress/rosewood model.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
on the thread title, although I did assume before opening that it would be about a cypress/rosewood model.
Love the thread title Michael! But didn't he pay a violin?
Old 02-12-2020, 02:18 AM

Rosie's brilliant, a true artisan. All three models look and sound lovely.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
Beautiful sound on that oak/Monterey cypress. Challenges preconceptions. But between the excellent luthier and player, how am I supposed to judge the quality of those tonewoods.
Ha, well that's very kind but I guess both Rosie and I believing in pushing woods to their limits and seeing where the potential lies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevien View Post
I believe that Monterey Cyprus is the English version of what we call Port Orford Cedar. Maybe a Luthier or two will chime in.
Steve
My understanding is that they're different, certainly the colour and grain patterns on the Cypress would suggest that as would the response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
Ha! Yeah, I couldn't resist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Love the thread title Michael! But didn't he pay a violin?
Well, yes...
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Old 02-12-2020, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyKev View Post
Rosie's brilliant, a true artisan. All three models look and sound lovely.
Couldn't agree more Kev!
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Old 02-12-2020, 07:42 AM

Incredible looking and sounding guitars....inspiring to see Rosie’s skills as a maker.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 02-13-2020, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
Incredible looking and sounding guitars....inspiring to see Rosie’s skills as a maker.
Absolutely right! i'm looking forward to playing her guitars (amongst others) at the Holy Grail Guitar Show in Berlin this May
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Old 02-13-2020, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

First thoughts:Comparing the first two videos of Cypress tops, to the last with Alpine Spruce
I hear a higher Dynamic range between the lows and highs. This does not necessary mean louder, just more difference in volume between notes played softer vs. harder.
Obviously the Back and sides do have an influence here. Mahogany is a more rounded tone? And Cocobolo might have the ability to project more harmonics & overtones across the board? So not a direct comparison. But yeah, I thought the Cypress was more expressive.
Did I like that more expressiveness that Cypress might offer? A Big Yes. I love Dynamics. And Michael is the King of dynamic playing. A great inspiration to us all. In Truth, I like all of those guitars. In some instances a song might benefit from the higher ratio of soft to hard notes played. In other tunes the more standard compressed sound is best.
Unfortunately I was a bit under the weather at NAMM this year and did not get up to Rosie's booth, like I did last year. Would have loved to played her latest creations. I am very thankful to any luthier that reaches out to try new things. And she certainly does.
Michael, Did you feel like I do, that the Cypress exhibited more responsiveness? And What is your take on the headroom of Cypress. Seems like it could take heavy strumming.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
First thoughts:Comparing the first two videos of Cypress tops, to the last with Alpine Spruce
I hear a higher Dynamic range between the lows and highs. This does not necessary mean louder, just more difference in volume between notes played softer vs. harder.
Obviously the Back and sides do have an influence here. Mahogany is a more rounded tone? And Cocobolo might have the ability to project more harmonics & overtones across the board? So not a direct comparison. But yeah, I thought the Cypress was more expressive.
Did I like that more expressiveness that Cypress might offer? A Big Yes. I love Dynamics. And Michael is the King of dynamic playing. A great inspiration to us all. In Truth, I like all of those guitars. In some instances a song might benefit from the higher ratio of soft to hard notes played. In other tunes the more standard compressed sound is best.
Unfortunately I was a bit under the weather at NAMM this year and did not get up to Rosie's booth, like I did last year. Would have loved to played her latest creations. I am very thankful to any luthier that reaches out to try new things. And she certainly does.
Michael, Did you feel like I do, that the Cypress exhibited more responsiveness? And What is your take on the headroom of Cypress. Seems like it could take heavy strumming.
I'm glad you enjoyed the videos! There's a lot of detail coming out of those guitars when you listen closely!

I could tell you my thoughts on the Cypress but I'll actually beg for your patience for a few days more as I'm editing a wonderful interview with Rosie where we go into this in some detail!

All the best

M
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Old 02-14-2020, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Watts View Post
I'm glad you enjoyed the videos! There's a lot of detail coming out of those guitars when you listen closely!

I could tell you my thoughts on the Cypress but I'll actually beg for your patience for a few days more as I'm editing a wonderful interview with Rosie where we go into this in some detail!

All the best

M
I look forward to the video and to the discussion.

Best,
Jayne
Old 02-14-2020, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I look forward to the video and to the discussion.

Best,
Jayne
As will I!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop