The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-19-2016, 03:25 AM

Default Thoughts on new Fishman SA330x

So I finally got to see the listing for the new Fishman on Musicians Friend etc. Base unit is $999 US plus $149 for the expansion mixer and $549 for the little sub. That's almost $1700 US my friends ! Im in Canada so multiple that up by 1.3 $2200 Canadian all in. Wow

My duo currently gigs with EV gear, I have two ZLX 12P tops and two ZXA1 subs. Inside we usually just use one top and in ears. Outside we use the full set up. I bought the gear used for $1300 Canadian. This seems a very scalable, effective and high quality sounding solution. We gig 4-5 times a month so payback on any investment must be considered. Can't justify buying the new Fishman at those prices, as much as I'd love the portability ! . Thoughts ?
Old 08-19-2016, 03:31 AM

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampli...#productDetail
Old 08-19-2016, 06:03 AM
Charter Member

The base unit appears to be pretty similar to the SA220 with some upgrades so $999 price for that is actually pretty good. The addition of the little mixer and sub is obviously trying to compete with the Bose system. For those that need more inputs and bottom end I'm sure this will be a fine system at a competitive price. I loved our SA220 when we used that system.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 08-19-2016, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovekings View Post
Can't justify buying the new Fishman at those prices, as much as I'd love the portability ! . Thoughts ?
Going from a decent PA (like yours) to a Fishstick is quite a step down. Some folks rave about these mini line array systems, but I'm not a fan.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:08 AM

Best Buy is having their 50th anniversary sale on 8/22. It'll be interesting to see if they repeat the closeout sale they had on the Loudbox 100, at the intro of the Loudbox Artist, with the remaining stock of the SA220. If so, it'd cost something like $399.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:58 AM

Default Agree entirely

Yep Rustyaxe. We are in agreement. We get an awesome sound with our rig and it would be hard to be happy with less. Even just one top sounds great with no subs and it only weighs 34 pounds. I'm keepin Em lol
Old 08-19-2016, 08:09 AM

I posted this in another thread yesterday:

$999 was the price point for the previous SA220. The common criticisms of that system were the lack of bass support and desire for more channels. It would appear that they addressed those issues directly with add ons. However, I suspect their intention is to use the Fish stick as a solo amp without the sub as a primary means of amplification.

For solo acts, I don't know that the sub is essential.

So, if I were to guess, the thinking was probably that the new product is for people who would primarily (say 75%) use it like the last product. But, for shows with bass, more singers, instruments, they can add the sub and mixer with no fuss. That way you don't waste your solo act gear investment, nor do you have to have a complete second system and learning curve. There is also the possibility that Fishman is providing a PA option for people who brand loyal to Fishman.

Truth be told, with powered speakers, mixers, effects processors, acoustic amps, compact PA systems, there are endless ways to get awesome, crystal clear volume for under $1300 and 40lbs. This was not always the case.

Nice time in history to need an acoustic guitar and amplification.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:11 AM

Musician's Friend seems to be the only site out there with anything on the new unit. Nothing on even Fishman's site. Looks like same as SA220 except 300w and the two add ons.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:38 AM

So many people just seem to want to make the SA220 something more than it is. If you want to add more low end and more channels to it, I guess you're overlooking the fact that it's designed for a SOLO guitarist/vocalist. And for that, I still think it's been the best bang for the buck for many years. Clearly, their new 330 model is doing more than the above-described soloist needs, so I guess they're getting away from the "solo" thing without actually saying it. I have no problem with it, and more choices for we consumers is always good. But if I were a solo guitarist/soloist looking for the best value out there for use at small and medium-sized venues, I still think the SA220 is tough to beat. There are bigger and better and fuller-sounding systems out there, sure, but they're either overkill, with a negligible improvement in sound quality, IMO, or considerably more hassle to transport and set-up. All those comparisons have been discussed ad nauseum elsewhere anyway. My point is that the 220 -- for what it's designed for -- is still one great value, and the new 330 would certainly seem to be more appropriate for something beyond the solo guitarist/vocalist -- duos, trios, keyboardists, people using backing tracks, whatever.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic

Last edited by slewis; 08-21-2016 at 09:43 AM.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
Note; It's a Pre-order and not currently in stock. Just worth mentioning.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
So many people just seem to want to make the SA220 something more than it is. If you want to add more low end and more channels to it, I guess you're overlooking the fact that it's designed for a SOLO guitarist/vocalist. And for that, I still think it's been the best bang for the buck for many years. Clearly, their new 330 model is doing more than the above-described soloist needs, so I guess they're getting away from the "solo" thing without actually saying it. I have no problem with it, and more choices for we consumers is always good. But if I were a solo guitarist/soloist looking for the best value out there for use at small and medium-sized venues, I still think the SA220 is tough to beat. There are bigger and better and fuller-sounding systems out there, sure, but they're either overkill, with a negligible improvement in sound quality, IMO, or considerably more hassle to transport and set-up. All those comparisons have been discussed ad nauseum elsewhere anyway. My point is that the 220 -- for what it's designed for -- is still one great value, and the new 330 would certainly seem to be more appropriate for something beyond the solo guitarist/vocalist -- duos, trios, keyboardists, people using backing tracks, whatever.
I always appreciate your expertise and enthusiasm for the SA220. But isn't the (unaccessorized) 330 virtually identical to the 220, but with more power and some ports and electronics to add the sub and mixer if wanted? It seems to me like Fishman has not abandoned the solo performer, but rather bumped the power of the SA without bumping the price. And players can forget about the options entirely, if they don't need them. Win/win, yes?

_______
Old 08-22-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pauhana View Post
I always appreciate your expertise and enthusiasm for the SA220. But isn't the (unaccessorized) 330 virtually identical to the 220, but with more power and some ports and electronics to add the sub and mixer if wanted? It seems to me like Fishman has not abandoned the solo performer, but rather bumped the power of the SA without bumping the price. And players can forget about the options entirely, if they don't need them. Win/win, yes?

_______
This was my take. It allows them to continue to offer what they feel is a great stand alone product. And, they offer the addons that allow a solo artist to amplify an ensemble at small shows. My only issue is the cost of the addons. Seems a bit steep. The cost of the expander seems about $50 too high and the sub about $250 too high. Where did I get my numbers? Thin air. So take it for what it's worth.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Where did I get my numbers?
Oh no...

Quote:
Thin air.
Oh, thin air! Whew, that's a relief

_____
Old 08-22-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
This was my take. It allows them to continue to offer what they feel is a great stand alone product. And, they offer the addons that allow a solo artist to amplify an ensemble at small shows. My only issue is the cost of the addons. Seems a bit steep. The cost of the expander seems about $50 too high and the sub about $250 too high. Where did I get my numbers? Thin air. So take it for what it's worth.
Good point. The optional sub and mixer are indeed add-ons, as you point out and which my earlier point pretty much overlooks. Of course, SA220 owners could always add a mixer and some kind of sub at added expense, but I have no issue with Fishman offering their own. Aside from those, the main new non-optional feature seems to be added power, correct? All good there too, although I never considered the 220 underpowered for 99% of the places I play. So the 330 system still seems to be a great choice for a solo guitarist/vocalist but yes they're now making it easier for performers to expand beyond the solo world when needed. Thanks for the clarification.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 08-25-2016, 05:45 PM

....is it just me?.....or is Musician's Friend referring to the new Fishman unit as an SA330X, or the SA300?.....BOTH references are in the ad.....it's titled as SA330X......but in the description.....they refer to it as SA300......it also states that it weighs only 20 lbs......that's quite a bit less than the SA 220.......

Last edited by dgt178; 08-25-2016 at 05:51 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification