The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-22-2022, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

….I too worry about how I might be perceived here and elsewhere on Internet forums….not that I’m losing sleep over it….I’m known to friends and family as gregarious, generous helpful funny and fun to be around….but It’s almost like I’m not the same person out here in cyberspace….I never try to be anyone different but the dynamics of interacting with people you don’t really know is tricky…I’m sure that some of my responses have been misinterpreted….and that in turn I have misunderstood some of the posts I have read…

….I have some unwritten rules in my head on how to post my thoughts but sometimes catch myself not following them….fwiw….over the past 20 years I have seen forums like this evolve into much more civil discussion sites where contributors are less likely to troll and invite divisiveness into the conversations….and generally more welcoming and accepting of the diverse population that participates in the discussions….
Old 01-22-2022, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
No matter what you say or what you do these days SOMEONE will be offended. In fact there's probably someone out there right now who is offended you didn't single them out for the apology. Living in a huge Northeastern city growing up we learned to not get offended by anything someone did but to react only when physically confronted. I only wish that sensibility was retained in society at large. Part of natural discourse is letting people know how you feel and what you think about things. you never really know what's going on inside someone's head and I find that to be a true hidden danger. Yes, even more than hearing some of the crazy stuff some people are thinking/believing.
^^^ What he said (refer to signature below) ^^^ ...

Last edited by Teleplucker; 01-22-2022 at 10:45 AM. Reason: removed politics from quote
Old 01-22-2022, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

I will not accept the apology you have to offend me first

It is what it is. Even typing skills come into play with communication now days. I know I'm gruff and find it impossible to pander. I honestly don't mean any ill to anyone.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road

Last edited by TomB'sox; 01-22-2022 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Public discussion of moderator action.
Old 01-22-2022, 11:44 PM

I have had to offer an apology a few times to the moderators and they have been very nice about it. I have reached out to one member personally to say sorry for the misunderstanding. He said, "No problem". I felt bad about each situation and realized that sometimes it is not what you say but how you say it. I really like the give and take and opinions on this forum. We learn a lot that way. But that darn rule 'Be nice' has to be considered. I'm trying.
Old 01-25-2022, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakashi View Post
hi! im new here at the forums but heres a good quote from tommy emmanuel.

"The thing about guitar players is we're all like a brotherhood or sisterhood. We don't care if you're great, good, bad, in between or whatever. As long as you love it, then we're all going to help each other."
I love this guy, and stuff like this is a big reason why.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 01-25-2022, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

You’ll have to try harder to offend me. I have thick skin
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 01-25-2022, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Not long ago I replied to one of our multi-page threads. Another member replied to my post, and later thought they may have offended me (their reply did not offend me). They wrote me a private message about it, apologizing and assuring me they meant no offense. I thanked them and assured them I had taken no offense. We had a pleasant, friendly exchange.

This got me thinking that after 6 years and over 3000 posts I've surely offended some of my fellow AGF members, but have not been perceptive enough to realize it. I sincerely apologize for that.

I've never intended to offend, marginalize, embarass or heckle anyone here. I've never wanted to hurt anyone's feelings or make them feel unwelcome.

To the extent that any of my posts have been misinterpreted, the fault is mine for not making enough of an effort to communicate clearly.

I know we have different backgrounds and experiences, come from different parts of the world and don't have the luxury of using facial expression, vocal inflection or body language to use like we would face to face, so that can add to misunderstanding. I need to continue to remember that.

Thanks everyone, I value each of you (members and guests) for contributing to this place.
Thanks for your thoughts Mandobart.

We're all going to have some communication slip-ups or even bad days.

You are a valued member of the forum and we appreciate your substantial experience and knowledge!

Be well!

- Glenn
Old 01-25-2022, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
No matter what you say or what you do these days SOMEONE will be offended. In fact there's probably someone out there right now who is offended you didn't single them out for the apology.
I agree.

I'm fact, very often the people who get offended need offending!
Old 01-25-2022, 01:30 PM

LOL - I've gotten so into certain discussions that I've described tone, or wood, or finish, etc. with a basic four letter word beginnning with "s". I've been scolded for it by the mods, and they have always been diplomatic, edited the text, sent me a note.

As for being insulted or offended, it hasn't happened. In fact, I often agree when it's directed at me. I probably shouldn't have said what I did. The best of many good things about the people on this forum is that they readily forgive my quirks, and choose to attempt to educate me rather than go off on me. This is a fun place
Old 01-25-2022, 06:31 PM

People on this forum walk on rice paper. Many forums haver a section that can make the devil cry.

1997 Tacoma PM20
1998 Tacoma CC10
2001 Tacoma C5C
2004 Tacoma C1C
2004 Tacoma EMM30 "Forum Guitar"
Old 01-25-2022, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
I agree.

I'm fact, very often the people who get offended need offending!
I've said before, "Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right..."
Old 01-25-2022, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMo66 View Post
People on this forum walk on rice paper. Many forums haver a section that can make the devil cry.
No kidding...I'm on a couple biker forums where you better be wearing your flameproof underwear when you venture in! Nobody cares about hurting your feelings, but they tell you the truth, even when you don't necessarily want to hear it. I've learned a LOT about taking care of my old Harley shovelhead from some of those thick skinned old school guys.

My policy has always been: "When in Rome, etc"

Last edited by Denny B; 01-25-2022 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-25-2022, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

Wow... flameproof biking shorts, huh? I've been biking a long time and never knew what I was missing.
Old 01-25-2022, 07:53 PM

This is the Internet. If you haven't offended someone, you aren't trying hard / posting enough.
Old 01-26-2022, 12:14 AM
Charter Member

Funny you should bring this up, OP. I just got finished writing what I thought was a clever dig at someone who wanted to buy a Pre War guitar and wanted to raise funds for it with a pristine newer guitar for sale. In my draft I wrote, "why not just trash your pristine ___?" Then I thought, who needs to see me say that, especially someone who wants a Pre War? I am not one of them, but that doesn't give me the privilege of snarking at someone who does.

So I deleted the reply before I sent it. Life is too short, and we are music lovers, after all.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic