The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: ?
Keep the 000-15sm 47 72.31%
Exchange for 000-15m 18 27.69%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-29-2021, 03:57 PM

My read of the original post before my prior reply was that the inquiry was about which guitar the reader would choose in a similar circumstance. I answered accordingly without regard to how the OP would manage the completion of the transaction in light of the shipping error.

I do not view the SM as being a substitute item for the 000-15M, if for not other reason than the difference in price. I would alert the dealer and not second guess the necessity in doing so. It’s simply how I do things.

If the dealer wants it back, then it can arrange for pickup. If the dealer doesn’t want it, then I’d keep it and regard the transaction as complete. The ethical course of conduct is one that allows the dealer to decide if it wants the guitar back. As far as discussing money, I would not.

Last edited by Brick is Red; 09-29-2021 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Substance and clarity
Old 09-29-2021, 05:29 PM

I didn't see the poll originally as I was on mobile. Either guitar to keep - your call, but they are quite a bit different. And SM are my initials too so I'd be leaning that way

I am reminded of an old saying: An honest man's pillow is his conscience - or was that John Cougar Mellencamp? Anyway, to not advise the dealer would bother me and it should bother those of you advising to keep it and say nothing.
Old 09-29-2021, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

My personal preference would be the SM.

But another consideration I have not seen posted:

- If you ever need warranty service, your proof of purchase/receipt will need to match the model & serial number of the guitar which is to be serviced.

- A personal preference - one guitar or the other? Yes.

- A moral decision? Not my call.

- Proof of purchase needs to be accurate for warranty purposes? Yes.
Old 09-29-2021, 07:16 PM

Sorry, I should have clarified a few thing!
1. Yes I paid for the 15m and they sent the SM by their mistake
2. I meant that if I kept the 15sm I would alert them to this and offer to pay the difference in price.

So my dilemma is purely down to the 15m vs SM.
Oh and also that as someone mentioned if I did decide to swap it, it would take a couple of months to complete the exchange with return shipping etc
Old 09-29-2021, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
I've owned over a half dozen of the 15 series. They do vary in goodness. Bird in the hand??
I agree with this. 10 years ago I went on a search for an 000-15sm. I ended up with an upscaled Custom Shop version of the sm that a shop had in inventory, but during that search I probably played 15 different 000-15m/sm examples ( I was traveling for work at the time). Most were great, but some just so-so tonewise. If you've got a tone you love and enjoy the neck, etc. I'd keep it. There's no guarantee you'll love the replacement.

Regarding the ethics, it's totally your call. I understand both sides of the argument but this is not a case of ordering an 000-15m and getting a 000-42. Between TWO extra shipping costs they'd pay for, and the fact they should list the returned 000-15sm as an open-box, B-stock, or something else, that $300 is eaten by them regardless. If you feel the need then certainly advise them of their mistake. Based on the above $$$'s (and the appreciation they should show to you) I'd frankly think they were jerks if they didn't say, "thank you for letting us know and if you're happy with it just keep it as is." I guess that's risk you might take...again fully your call with no judgement from this AGF'er.
Old 09-29-2021, 09:06 PM

For me, the 000-15m is the better guitar. It's more versatile, it has a bit more pop, and I appreciate the slimmer nut. I understand that there are those who are enamored of the slotted headstock, but they are in the minority in terms of the guitar-buying public. If they weren't, more slotted guitars would be built these days, right? The same with 12-fret bodies. I honestly can't understand the charms of a non-cutaway 12 for those who play up the neck.

I suppose the 000-15sm might be a better guitar for a fingerstyle player, but if that's not you, send it back. I'm a rhythm guitarist from the get-go, which explains my preference for the 000-15m.

They're both good guitars, regardless. Just thank the guitar gods they didn't send you a Streetmaster version.
Old 09-30-2021, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psax View Post
I don't know if there will need to be an ethical dilemma for the OP if he decides he might want to keep the guitar he was sent. By the time the shop sends him a return shipping label, arranges pick-up, and sends another, (while their customer waits), and then finds a buyer for the now gently used guitar, they might offer to give him a deal on the one they sent?
This was my thought. My guess is that the shop will just tell him to keep the 000-15SM since they would basically 'lose' the cost of shipping two ways as well as the time and hassle.

And I'd keep the 000-15SM hands down if I liked the neck. That model is far more appealing to me than the 000-15M.
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |
Old 09-30-2021, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
For me, the 000-15m is the better guitar. It's more versatile, it has a bit more pop, and I appreciate the slimmer nut. I understand that there are those who are enamored of the slotted headstock, but they are in the minority in terms of the guitar-buying public. If they weren't, more slotted guitars would be built these days, right? The same with 12-fret bodies. I honestly can't understand the charms of a non-cutaway 12 for those who play up the neck.

I suppose the 000-15sm might be a better guitar for a fingerstyle player, but if that's not you, send it back. I'm a rhythm guitarist from the get-go, which explains my preference for the 000-15m. But what I prefer has little bearing on what someone else might prefer and vice versa. The impression I get is that the SM is more costly to build, which is why it is more expensive.

They're both good guitars, regardless. Just thank the guitar gods they didn't send you a Streetmaster version.
^ This is my preference as well, and while the 000-15sm I tried had a great sound, so did the 000-15m and I ended up getting it based on ergonomic preferences.

The OP has already clarified that he will let the dealer know, so no need to comment on that. One comment that has come up more than once that interests me, and is perhaps better as a new thread, is whether the dealer would restock the retuned guitar and sell it as new or as “open box.” With so many dealers operating online, at what point does a guitar become “open box”? My sense is that most dealers consider demo’d guitars “new” even when shipped back and forth several times..
Old 09-30-2021, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I suppose the 000-15sm might be a better guitar for a fingerstyle player, but if that's not you, send it back. I'm a rhythm guitarist from the get-go, which explains my preference for the 000-15m.

^ This is my preference as well, and while the 000-15sm I tried had a great sound, so did the 000-15m and I ended up getting it based on ergonomic preferences. But what I prefer has no bearing on what someone else might prefer, and vice versa. My understanding is that the SMs are more costly to build, which is why they are more expensive.

The OP has already clarified that he will let the dealer know, so no need to comment on that. One comment that has come up more than once that interests me, and is perhaps better as a new thread, is whether the dealer would restock the retuned guitar and sell it as new or as “open box.” With so many dealers operating online, at what point does a guitar become “open box”? My sense is that most dealers consider demo’d guitars “new” even when shipped back and forth several times..
Old 09-30-2021, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Having owned a very good 000-15M and having played a few others and a few streetmasters as well, I'd hope the guitar gods would send me a streetmaster if I was in the market for an 000-15M again. My 000-15M was very nice, as good or better sounding than any of the others I've played. Of the four or five streetmasters I've played, one sounded about as good as my regular 000-15M, the rest sounded notably better. Which is in line with the many comments I've seen about the streetmaster - most who've played both thought the finish on the streetmaster (love it or hate it) is lighter enough to improve the guitar's tone. I don't know if it was due to the finish or not, but those guitars sounded fantastic to me. And I don't particularly like the look of the finish, but I don't like the look of my CEO-7 either, but I love the guitar. I basically don't see my guitars after the first week or two - I feel them and hear them, but my eyes don't come into it after I get used to seeing them for a little while. Whether I really like their looks, or not so much.

-Ray
Old 09-30-2021, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yards View Post
. . .
2. I meant that if I kept the 15sm I would alert them to this and offer to pay the difference in price.

. . . .
Good on you for that. That's the right thing to do.
Old 09-30-2021, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPappy View Post
Good on you for that. That's the right thing to do.
Yep...the only way to go.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 09-30-2021, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yards View Post
For years I have had my eye on a Martin 000-15m, so I finally decided to order one online.

However when it arrived and I opened the case for the first time I realised that I had accidentally been sent the 000-15sm instead!

Having my heart set on the 000-15m I am unsure how to feel or what to do, I absolutely love the tone of the SM however I originally didn't purchase one because it was out of my price range but now it has arrived I absolutely love it.

On the other hand, I prefer the slightly slimmer neck of the 15m and am also a bigger fan of it aesthetically compared to the SM. So I am not sure if I should return and exchange the 000-15sm for the 000-15m, or just keep the SM. Can anyone who has played both let me know what they think and if the 000-15m's tone can stand with the SM?
It's up to you. . . but I'd keep the SM, period!
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 09-30-2021, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortfinger View Post
If I ordered and paid for the M, I'd keep the slothead the dopey warehouse guy shipped by mistake.

You're assuming there was a dopey warehouse guy, as opposed to someone in a small shop who simply made an honest mistake...
Old 09-30-2021, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

A well known vender just sent me a case of 12 very expensive tuners when I paid for 1. I promptly returned the 11 I didn’t pay for. My wife is always saying I’m to honest. I’ve asked her to put that on my tombstone.
1968 Ovation 1111-4 RIP 1968-2021

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
000-15m, 000-15sm, martin, martin 000-15m, martin 000-15sm