The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: ?
Keep the 000-15sm 47 72.31%
Exchange for 000-15m 18 27.69%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-29-2021, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxo View Post
If you were handed change for a $20 when you paid $10 would you pocket it or hand it back? I would hand it back. I see this as no different.
The difference here is that it's more like the OP said to the clerk "Here's a 10 to pay for that" and then the clerk gives change for a 20 anyway. Still a type of thievery but the OP did specify what he wanted and got something different. If I get something in the mail I never asked for I get to keep it under the law. Here the OP apparently ordered something and received a different item from the vendor who (at least in theory) confirmed the actual order. How they all decide to handle it is between the buyer and the vendor (and their respective consciences).
Old 09-29-2021, 12:06 PM

I don't know if there will need to be an ethical dilemma for the OP if he decides he might want to keep the guitar he was sent. By the time the shop sends him a return shipping label, arranges pick-up, and sends another, (while their customer waits), and then finds a buyer for the now gently used guitar, they might offer to give him a deal on the one they sent?
Old 09-29-2021, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

I immediately clicked on this one to see who Got was. I had never heard of them. I'm not good at making decisions for other people so I didn't participate in the poll. But my advise is to go with your gut feeling and not try to over think it. It might be too late for that.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 09-29-2021, 12:17 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

I went shopping with my (then) 10 year old son at a local Target one day. Among the items we purchased was a box set of baseball cards. After we'd checked out and were leaving the store, my son had the bag and was reading the receipt. He stopped and said 'Dad, I don't think they charged us for the baseball cards.' The box was in the range of $60 or so.

I asked him, "Well son, what do you think we should do?" Without hesitating he said, "I think we should go back in and tell them."

We did. If I ordered a guitar, and received one that was a materially higher retail, then I would notify the dealer. No question. From there, it would just be a discussion about next steps. The dealer might want me to return it and ship the correct one, or maybe they say keep it because the cost/overhead of an exchange isn't worth it.

Regardless, I'm with those that are saying there is a 'right thing to do'. And yes, I guess what's 'right' can be very subjective.
Old 09-29-2021, 12:17 PM

If you like the SM, then email the seller and let them know there was a mix up. But tell them you understand it will cost them money to exchange it and offer to keep it if that works for them. Or split the difference or otherwise work a deal. I would like the 12 fret slothead and wider spacing for fingerstyle better, but you might want a strumming flatpicker style guiter.

It may turn out that they sent your guitar to another person and you got the other person's guitar. That happened to me recently, mistakes do happen. I would rather email the vender to inform them about the mix up then have them contact me.
Old 09-29-2021, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

If you’re bonding with the 115SM, keep it if you can. If not, tell they made an error and exchange it. What do you like more? The 15SM sound or the 15M neck?
Old 09-29-2021, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Well, there are guitar implications and there are moral/ethical implications.

I believe you were just asking about the guitar implications, and on that front I'd keep the 000-15SM all day every day and twice on Sundays. But that's me. And it sounds like it may be you too, based on your reaction to the SM. I've owned both BTW - both are great sounding, but I like everything about the SM compared to the M, the tone, the wider neck, the wider spacing at the saddle. If I somehow had an SM as my only guitar, I wouldn't be bummed in the least except its a neck shape I don't personally like much. The SM has a much deeper, warmer tone. If you're looking to play a lot of snappy rhythm guitar, the M might be the better choice, but the SM would be fine for that, and better, IMHO, for roughly everything else.

Ethically, if you decide you want to keep the SM, you should call the shop that made the mistake and let them know they messed up, but you'd be interested in keeping the SM. They should probably give you any costs associated with getting the SM back and getting you the guitar you actually ordered (which they're obligated to do), so they should give you a break on price to save themselves the trouble. They might give you more than that, or just let you keep the SM for the price of the M, but I wouldn't bet on it. Assume if you want to keep the SM, you're gonna have to come up with some $$$ out of pocket...

-Ray

Last edited by raysachs; 09-29-2021 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-29-2021, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

You should get the one you really want. I prefer the one you received even if it was a mistake. But you have to make the call not me.

As far as the other issue is concerned you can see my signature below...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 09-29-2021, 12:52 PM

It's hard to believe this wouldn't pop up in their inventory somehow. It's your call to make but I'd make them aware of what happened. You don't want a 'tainted' guitar and you'll sleep better.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 09-29-2021, 12:58 PM

Definitely a dilemma...

They're both very cool guitars. I had a lot of thoughts about an SM before I bought my M...In the end, I liked the idea of 1 11/16ths and the extra fretboard real estate...

But honestly...I still might want an SM some day...they really do have a different sound.

I'd make good on the $ difference, if they did undercharge me, though. That's not a difference of $5. And then I'd ask them for a good deal on an M!

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 09-29-2021, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

Hi, as I'm biased towards 12 fret designs, with the very slightly wider fretboard, I'd say that you have the better instrument.

However, I think that you should sit down with the guitar and "explore" it and decide if it is right for you or not, hen , if it is, contact the vendor and tell them of their error, and offer to keep it at the price paid - or they must arrange to collect it.
If you decide that it isn't right for you, then contact them and tel them that you want what you orderd and that they must effect the change.

Either way, I think you have a duty of care to advise hem of the error.

P.s.Surely anything with "SM" in its name is cool isn't it ? (Silly Moustache -geddit?)

I,
Old 09-29-2021, 03:12 PM

The seller made the error? Received $1300 in revenue for something he should have sold for $1600?

To correct that he will need to absorb the freight cost to return, the restocking cost, whatever cost for the returned guitar now being "open box," customer service time to handle the whole swap, and the cost to ship the lesser guitar.

Do him a favor and keep the slothead.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 09-29-2021, 03:23 PM

I can’t believe folks are suggesting NOT notifying the seller of the mistake. In my mind you are morally obligated to do so.

As to which one you’d be happier with, that’s up to you. The SM is more expensive for a reason - it is an upgraded guitar.

Decide if you want to keep the SM, then contact the dealer to work out a mutually agreeable solution.
Old 09-29-2021, 03:26 PM

I would contact the seller to settle things. Someone else may have gotten the guitar that you ordered and the seller may not know what happened. If you decide to keep it then try to get the price in your favor.

Regardless, contact the seller.
Old 09-29-2021, 03:38 PM

Some years back, I needed new shocks on my Tahoe. They quoted me something like $700 for all new shocks, but they’d failed to realize that the rear shocks on my Tahoe were the air rides which were $1300. They had to honor their quote and I got like $2200 worth of work and parts for $700. I’m wondering if this is common policy, and they can’t take back your guitar based on their mistake. Either way, I’d keep the guitar if it speaks to you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
000-15m, 000-15sm, martin, martin 000-15m, martin 000-15sm