The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-19-2021, 09:26 PM

Smile Installed an LR Baggs Anthem in my Martin SC13-E Today

Let me start by saying that I was having issues with the factory installed Fishman MXT that the guitar came with. The high E,B and partially the G were much quieter then the D, Low E and A stings. It was not a lot but enough to bother me and I was going to send it to a factory dealer to look at. I have changed the strings several times and inspected the saddle and fit and it seemed fine. Bottom of the saddle was flat and the slot looked good. The Fishman UST had a funny look to the end like it may have been pinched at some point and I suspected this was the problem.

Anyway, I had been reading up on the Anthem and Anthem SL on this forum and others, and decided I wanted one of these especially if I had to get work done on the new guitar.

My local L&M only stocked the full Anthem so I threw caution to the wind and bought it. I spent today installing it. I am no luthier, but have been around guitars for a lot of years and always have done my own setups and minor maintenance. I also have some electronics experience.

So let me say the installation went flawlessly and I was able to use the stock martin battery compartment and also installed the Anthem 1/4" jack in it as well. No modifications were required to the guitar at all. I was concerned about the larger preamp/control unit, but it fits on the soundhole perfectly.

The only issue is the bridge plate was too narrow to install the mic on it either in front or behind the pins. I put the mic directly on the top up against the bridge plate towards the soundhole.

After I plugged it in and messed with the mic mix a bit, all I can say is I am totally blown away with the quality of the sound. Playing through a Bose S1 speaker, as I turned up the volume, the sound of the guitar literally increased but to me sounded almost identical to the unplugged sound. It is by far superior to the factory Fishman MXT pickup and I also tried my Taylor 224CE-K with the ESP2 electronics as well as my Gibson J35 with LR Baggs VTC pickup for comparison. The Anthem in the Martin SC13-E was vastly superior to both.

The Anthem comes close to the sound of my guitar in front of a condenser mic.

I know others were concerned about how the Anthem would install in an SC13-E and I can confirm it went extremely well. The only loss is the soundhole tuner which was a poor tuner at best, full of lag and not very sensitive. I will not miss it.
Godin xtSa

Last edited by Washburn100; 09-19-2021 at 09:31 PM.
Old 09-19-2021, 09:44 PM

I just got an Eastman with the Anthem SL installed and yes...these are the best pickups on the market for anyone looking for “acoustic guitar but louder”. It’s literally like turning up the volume on your guitar.
Old 09-19-2021, 11:01 PM

Now, you probably have one of the best stage guitars ever. I think you did well! Congrats!
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 09-19-2021, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Z View Post
Now, you probably have one of the best stage guitars ever. I think you did well! Congrats!
Thanks, you are right. It was the reason I bought the SC13E. Too bad Martin doesn't have better electronic options for this thing. It is marketed to the electric player wanting an acoustic.

Mind you, the old Fishman MXT did have a nice tele sound if that's what you are going for lol.
Godin xtSa
Old 09-20-2021, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washburn100 View Post

I know others were concerned about how the Anthem would install in an SC13-E and I can confirm it went extremely well. The only loss is the soundhole tuner which was a poor tuner at best, full of lag and not very sensitive. I will not miss it.
Congrats....you are the second person I know of (besides me) that has installed an Anthem in a SC13e. Didn't you have any trouble removing that huge circuit board that was in front of the end pin? It took me a while to figure out how to get that out. And I have installed several anthems in other guitars with no issues, but this one was a major hassle. I am impressed that you were able to do all this without any issues. Also reconnecting and reusing the existing battery compartment wasn't easy either. You soldered the new connections, right? Yes I also removed the tuner, which was no loss like you said. It's very frustrating the way it jumps from too flat to too sharp so quickly. Also, I was able to fit the true-mic piecs on the back of the underside of the bridge behind the pins. There is JUST enough room for it. I used my iphone and would position it lightly and then take a quick video of the inside of the soundhole to check the positioning and redo it until it was perfect. LR Baggs says the positioning of the mic isn't too critical, so I would think anywhere you can find room inside the guitar will work.

Anyway, I also love my SC13e and it's my favorite guitar for long gigs. It's effortless to play and it almost feels like cheating with 11's on it. I don't really play a lot of leads up high on the neck, but just for general use it's so easy to play. Have fun with it and how about some sound/video so we can hear how this sounds now with the Anthem. Also, there is a group of Facebook of SC13e owners who would love o hear about this. Join us and post!
Old 09-21-2021, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Congrats....you are the second person I know of (besides me) that has installed an Anthem in a SC13e.

Didn't you have any trouble removing that huge circuit board that was in front of the end pin?
It took me a while to figure out how to get that out.

Also reconnecting and reusing the existing battery compartment wasn't easy either. You soldered the new connections, right? Yes I also removed the tuner, which was no loss like you said. It's very frustrating the way it jumps from too flat to too sharp so quickly. Also, I was able to fit the true-mic piecs on the back of the underside of the bridge behind the pins.
There is JUST enough room for it. I used my iphone and would position it lightly and then take a quick video of the inside of the soundhole to check the positioning and redo it until it was perfect. LR Baggs says the positioning of the mic isn't too critical, so I would think anywhere you can find room inside the guitar will work.
Sounds like a great upgrade.

Jack and Washburn

Can you explain how you removed the circuit board?

Also, what were your issues with reusing the factory battery compartment?

Lastly, I have read it's better to have Mic closer to sound hole (in front of bridge pins).
Did you like the sound behind (closer to end pin) better?

Please share any advice before I or others try this PUP swap/ install.

Thx!
Old 09-21-2021, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Sounds like a great upgrade.

Jack and Washburn

Can you explain how you removed the circuit board?

Also, what were your issues with reusing the factory battery compartment?

Lastly, I have read it's better to have Mic closer to sound hole (in front of bridge pins).
Did you like the sound behind (closer to end pin) better?

Please share any advice before I or others try this PUP swap/ install.

Thx!
Jake...I'll try and answer from my perspective. There is a big circuit board attached on the inside near the endpin. You have to loosen and remove the black endpin compartment. Then you need a special tool to remove it. I believe the issue was the recessed nut, which you need to turn. I couldn't figure out how to do it and brought it to a luthier who was able to remove it.
There is no room to get a wrench around the nut, so I think he put a tool into the screw hole and loosened it like that somehow. Maybe Washburn can clarify how he did it. That was the major issue for me. Regarding the battery compartment, my luthier has some issue reconnecting the wires but I'm not sure what it was, but he figured it out.

The other thing is what Washburn mentioned.....the bridge is very narrow and the mic barely fits on it...I was able to get it to fit, but it was tight. I didn't want to directly attach it to the top but that may be a good alternative. I wonder if the Fishman Matrix Infinity Mic Blend pickup might be a better choice for this guitar, since the mic mounts to the side of the soundhole? I am on my second SC13e with the stock pickup and am able to get a decent sound, so I'm not sure I want to hassle with it again since my listening audience is fine with it as is and the sound upgrade would probably be just for me.

Edit: I just tried and I think you could fit the correct sized socket from a socket set in there to turn the recessed nut. Or maybe one of those box type wrenches if it's thin enough?
Here is a picture of the recessed nut

Last edited by JackB1; 09-21-2021 at 09:40 AM.
Old 09-21-2021, 04:08 PM

Thanks Jack for the clarification.

I think I'll do the Anthem when I get a chance. I am sure it will be better and looks like a fairly straight forward install.
Old 09-21-2021, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Thanks Jack for the clarification.

I think I'll do the Anthem when I get a chance. I am sure it will be better and looks like a fairly straight forward install.
The Anthem install is easy. It’s just removing all the original stuff that’s a bit of a pain. I’m sure with a little insight from Washburn, it should go more smooth. I was the first one I know to do it so I had no reference. Yes it will definitely be better. The Element is a superior under saddle pickup by itself and then add a touch of true mic and you’ll have a nice sound.
Old 09-22-2021, 04:24 PM

Went to local GC this morning and picked up the Anthem SL.

Super easy install and it went flawlessly with no mods other than splicing the battery wire.

Huge improvement!

Old 09-22-2021, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Went to local GC this morning and picked up the Anthem SL.

Super easy install and it went flawlessly with no mods other than splicing the battery wire.

Huge improvement!
That’s awesome Jake. Where did you mount the mic exactly? It’s hard to tell from the picture. Is it on the bridge or on the top itself? Also did you have to solder the wires are you just cut them and reattach them? Did you have any trouble getting that circuitboard out or getting that recessed screw I’m done? I’m assuming youTrash the tuner as well? Anyway would love to hear more details about the install. Sent you a private message if you’d be so kind as to respond that would be great
Old 09-22-2021, 05:14 PM

Not putting the Anthem in from the get go, was an odd move by Martin. If this was meant to be a stage guitar than why not offer one of the best options available? Martin does offer the Anthem so they have a relationship with Lr Baggs. Now I know people will say it’s to cut costs. However, if the full Anthem sells for $299 plus tax, Martin is probably getting it for half of that price, if not more. The SL is even less. How much are they really saving by going to the Sonitone?
Old 09-22-2021, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Not putting the Anthem in from the get go, was an odd move by Martin. If this was meant to be a stage guitar than why not offer one of the best options available? Martin does offer the Anthem so they have a relationship with Lr Baggs. Now I know people will say it’s to cut costs. However, if the full Anthem sells for $299 plus tax, Martin is probably getting it for half of that price, if not more. The SL is even less. How much are they really saving by going to the Sonitone?
I hate to say it, but I'd wager it's part of a marketing strategy to push buyers into the higher-echelon Martins with quality pickups. Just like you have to buy a Tonematch mixer if you want the luxury-level option of a Master volume on the Bose L1 Pro line.
Old 09-22-2021, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
I hate to say it, but I'd wager it's part of a marketing strategy to push buyers into the higher-echelon Martins with quality pickups. Just like you have to buy a Tonematch mixer if you want the luxury-level option of a Master volume on the Bose L1 Pro line.
You are probably right! I am sure that Martin was also somewhat hesitant to put too much into this model before they really knew how successful it would be.
Old 09-22-2021, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
That’s awesome Jake. Where did you mount the mic exactly? It’s hard to tell from the picture. Is it on the bridge or on the top itself? Also did you have to solder the wires are you just cut them and reattach them? Did you have any trouble getting that circuitboard out or getting that recessed screw I’m done? I’m assuming youTrash the tuner as well? Anyway would love to hear more details about the install. Sent you a private message if you’d be so kind as to respond that would be great
The mic is mounted in front of the bridge -
attached directly to the top.
So it is closer to the sound hole.
There is just enough space for it there - right behind the X brace.

For the battery connection,
I simply cut the battery connector off of the Anthem
as well as the Martin battery compartment and then re-attached.
Yes, I soldered the wires and wrapped with electrical tape.

The nut was easy to remove - used a needle nose plyer.

This is everything removed from the the Martin -
Including the tuner

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification