The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

View Poll Results: PB Strings choice for CF guitar
D'addario EXP 3 8.82%
D'addario nickel Bronze 5 14.71%
D'addario EJ 2 5.88%
D'addario XS 3 8.82%
D'addario XT 2 5.88%
Elixir Nanoweb 16 47.06%
Elixir Polyoweb 1 2.94%
Martin Lifespan2.0 3 8.82%
Martin AUTHENTIC SP 0 0%
Martin AUTHENTIC MARQUIS SILKED 0 0%
Curt Mangan Fusion Matched COATED 1 2.94%
John Pearse Phosphor Bronze 3 8.82%
Stringjoy Naturals PB 0 0%
Ernie Ball Everlast Coated Phosphor Bronze 1 2.94%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-26-2022, 09:54 PM

Default Phosphor Bronze strings choices for Carbon fiber guitar

Good morning. I would like to hold a poll for strings choices for Carbon fiber guitar. And would like to hear your journey of perfect strings searching.

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten

Last edited by douglasfan1; 01-26-2022 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-26-2022, 10:29 PM

Uh, none of the above? My Composite Acoustics GX likes DR Rares.
Old 01-26-2022, 11:20 PM

From your list I voted D'addario XT. I like them even more than the EXP line they replaced. But this is very guitar dependent, and very style of play dependent? I guess I'm trying to understand why my opinion matter at all?

What is the purpose of your poll? To see what others simply like to get an idea of what to purchase? Are you looking for a specific sound, playability, longevity? I can certainly offer opinions based on your response.

And I agree with Chipotle, my very favorites are not on your list but I've tried everything on it except Stringjoy, Ernie Ball and Curt Mangan (however I do have 2 sets of his; one hex and one round core set). BTW, if you are a fingerstyle player, round cores have something very special on carbon fiber in my opinion. On my OF660 every round core phosphor bronze string I've tried I've loved. So far I've tried DR Sunbeams and GHS Thin Core and have the Curt Mangans and Newtone Double Wound on deck.
Old 01-27-2022, 12:25 AM

Sorry for not including your choices as there are already the max of options this forum allowed. I just want to see whether the result will be similar to normal wooden guitar (normal distribution I guess?) or we can have other specific preference because of carbon fiber sonic properties.

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 01-27-2022, 12:28 AM

After years of trying different strings I found my perfect match in the Elixir Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 01-27-2022, 10:30 AM

I don't think there are any universally 'better' strings for all carbon fiber guitars, I would say the same for non carbon fiber guitars. As you know better than me, each guitar has its own characteristics and its particular sound, sustain, timbre. The choice of the appropriate strings is necessary and a priority but I think it should be done by listening and playing the guitar and then try different solutions among the strings on the market and choose the most suitable. This applies to the choice of brand and model of the strings but above all gauge and tension. To this equation we should add the variable of our personal objective and our personal ear which makes everything even less predictable and instead more subjective. I often get to set up my own kits, specific for each guitar, choosing every single string from different kits, trying to respect the brands but sometimes I mix those too. I am particularly geared towards low tension and round core strings. On my Emerald X20 I had/wanted to change several string kits this year (and I'm still testing). At the beginning, being in love with them, I thought that Thomastik Infeld Plectrum could be the right choice for this guitar too, but this is not the case. I find the X20 in my possession naturally rich in the low and high frequencies and instead lacking a bit in the mids, to balance it I need strings that give more volume and presence on G and D and above all that are not flat wound as some Plectrums. At the moment, on the X20, the strings that give me the most satisfaction are the DR Sunbeams' kit which are set up in such a way as to have more tension on the mids. The next strings I will try will be the Newtone Heritage for which I personally chosen gauge and relative tension (thanks Neill!).
Old 01-27-2022, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domen View Post
The next strings I will try will be the Newtone Heritage for which I personally chosen gauge and relative tension (thanks Neill!).
The Newtones you have on deck are also round core and I predict you will love them too. I have Curt Mangan and Newtone Doublewound (both round core) to try as well.
Old 01-27-2022, 05:07 PM

I voted for the Ernie Ball Everlast because your poll does not include Ernie Ball Paradigm strings (the next generation of the Everlast strings I used to use).
Old 01-27-2022, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

I voted for D’Addario Nickel Bronze, as those are my favourite on the CF guitar I play the most, my X20. Elixir PB Nanos would be a close second.

Unfortunately, I can’t buy them for either my X20-7, or my Amicus, as the required gauges just aren’t available.

I’ve got a couple of sets of John Pearse strings lined up for the X20-7 - one PB, one Nickel - and will probably buy Newtone’s custom set for the Amicus when the time comes.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 01-27-2022, 10:02 PM
Charter Member

D’Addario EJ37 for my X20-12
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 01-28-2022, 12:38 AM

For me I expect Elixir Nanoweb would be the majority as this string really has it's own sound. Somehow it cover the original tone of the guitar. It then turns to be an advantage in Carbon Fiber acoustic guitar as it gives the closest wooden guitar sound from my point of view.

But then I've tired Martin Lifespan (old version MSP7200) and Martin SP strings, of course the tone is different but I don't think the advantage is significant. That's why I hold a poll regarding to this issue and would like to see how's the others experience.

(PS: now is using Martin SP (MA550), will have a try of D'addario EXP as I got 20 pack from Strings & Beyond during buy one get one free discount.)

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 01-28-2022, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
The Newtones you have on deck are also round core and I predict you will love them too. I have Curt Mangan and Newtone Doublewound (both round core) to try as well.
Yes, I believe and I also hope that the Newtones could theoretically be a good choice for the X20, then you confirm it so I am even more certain. I am a nerd and I like those brands that provide a table with the data on the tension of each string, Newtone is one of them. It is also the only brand that, for its kits, has made a choice to set them up with practically identical tension for all six strings (Curt Mangan too?). This is an advantage, however, only for those guitars that already sound perfectly balanced to our ear from the point of view of equalization and projection. In another words, I believe they can bring out the imbalances of the guitar. This is why I wanted to set up a custom kit and this is a great option that Newtone offers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
I voted for D’Addario Nickel Bronze, as those are my favourite on the CF guitar I play the most, my X20. Elixir PB Nanos would be a close second.
I would like to try some nickel, retro, monel strings ... not only on x20 ... unfortunately my allergy to nickel has always pushed me, until now, not to buy any ... what a pity ... someone else with allergies like me?
Elixirs nano B or PB (which have an incredible projection) are exa core and to my ear they sound rattling, extremely full of high harmonics and that particular 'zing-zang' that makes me believe that they are not for me, I still prefer a mellower sound. ... anyway I always have an elixir nano pb spare kit, especially for making comparisons. I think for my x20 they can be a good choice, to clear the sound... if it weren't for that confusion I hear in the mid-high range, which DR Sunbeams doesn't have.
GHS Thin Cores are also very good strings (round core and low tension), I'm testing them on an old vintage fender (not carbon of course). They fit the guitar perfectly and balanced it a lot, but even they have low strings sounding a little too rattling. Hope time can help.

Last edited by domen; 01-28-2022 at 04:41 AM.
Old 01-28-2022, 05:45 AM

I would have voted "Other", if that option was available.
If Phosphor Bronze strings were my only choice
for my Emerald guitars, I would choose
Magma Light Gauge Flat Phosphor Bronze (.010-.048).
IMHO they are the best (Flat ground/polished) Phosphor Bronze
strings I've found for acoustic guitar.

However, I favor 80/20 Bronze
a little more than Phosphor Bronze.
IMHO the best 80/20 Bronze being
Dogal Nightclub V25 followed by
Galli AJF1047.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars

Last edited by 121; 01-28-2022 at 05:51 AM.
Old 01-28-2022, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121 View Post
...Magma Light Gauge Flat Phosphor Bronze...
here on AGF I keep learning a lot of things, I did not know this Argentinian brand and I would really like to try Magma Flat PB, as suggested by 121. I like those who experiment with brands that are not mainstream and above all I love flat wound strings. Too bad I can't find anyone who distributes them in Europe. I will write to their customer service to ask where I can buy them.
Old 02-14-2022, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121 View Post
Magma Light Gauge Flat Phosphor Bronze (.010-.048).
IMHO they are the best (Flat ground/polished) Phosphor Bronze
strings I've found for acoustic guitar.
I tried to contact Magma Strings in Argentina directly but they never got back to me. it is very difficult to find these strings here in Europe. After much research it seems that the nearest and only european stores supplied are in Poland. After a bizarre exchange of emails with the shopkeeper and distributor that would have been impossible without Google Translate, I ordered two sets of Magma Light Gauge Flat Phosphor Bronze (.010-.048) and after ten days I'm still waiting for their arrival Can't wait to try them. Thanks again for the advice, I'll probably come and post my thoughts about it later, once tested personally.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber