The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-23-2022, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
Personally, I would choose a magnetic pickup mic combo over the M80. The Mag Mic, Fishman Rare Earth Blend, or Shertler AG6/S-mic are all very good.
Thanks so much!!

I'll look into those pickups!

DendenDeSarapen

"You dont choose the guitar, the guitar chooses you. If an any time the guitar chooses you, you have to buy it. If you can't afford it, and you can't steal, borrow, or come up with the money to buy it, you'll eventually die of a broken heart"
Old 01-24-2022, 06:29 AM

I've used the M1A, the M80, Dimarzio Black Angel and Sunrise in my D28 and 00028 over the years. I play professionally in large venues in a full band.

Both Baggs pickups had resonances that I had to eq out and the top sensing "feature" was just an annoyance.....no-one cares about the supposed character and airiness when the band starts playing and your top starts vibrating causing booming/feedback.

The Sunrise is great.....used it with their little black preamp and it's a worthy contender for best solution.

However, I chose to use the Dimarzio BA because it just has that little bit more air to it. I run it through a HX Stomp with gain, a mild para eq and a tiny touch of plate reverb. I never get any complaints!

There are probably other options which would work, the Fishman Blackstack looks capable but I'll stick with my Dimarzios.
Old 01-24-2022, 07:21 AM

https://fb.watch/aKoizkkmaF/

I知 not sure if this will work or not, but this is a good video of what the M80 sounds like.
Old 01-24-2022, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiaraDawn View Post

I’m not sure if this will work or not, but this is a good video of what the M80 sounds like.
That's a good example of how an M80 works with pedals, but most magnetics are just as good for that. Billy Strings switches to his magnetic when he gets into jam-band mode and fires up the pedals.

This, on the other hand, shows what the unadorned M80 really sounds like, recorded direct. The first place you'll hear it is at about :40. You'll probably hate the song, but it's the best M80 example I have.

Couch Standards
Old 01-24-2022, 12:33 PM

Quote:

I知 not sure if this will work or not, but this is a good video of what the M80 sounds like.

I should say that the loop only has some compression on it. The lead has boost and some harmonic tremolo.
Old 01-24-2022, 01:25 PM

Quote:
I should say that the loop only has some compression on it. The lead has boost and some harmonic tremolo.
Sounds good!

Couch Standards
Old 01-24-2022, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Sounds good!

Also I知 totally digging that song you posted! That痴 an ear work right there!
Old 01-24-2022, 02:35 PM

Quote:

Aaaaaaand I知 back to the M80. Good lord, I dont know what to pick anymore!!!

M80, Black Angel, MagMic, Fishman Rare earth blend

DendenDeSarapen

"You dont choose the guitar, the guitar chooses you. If an any time the guitar chooses you, you have to buy it. If you can't afford it, and you can't steal, borrow, or come up with the money to buy it, you'll eventually die of a broken heart"
Old 01-24-2022, 03:01 PM

Whilst i preffer the battery life of the M1a and i think it is a better overall option, this is an M80 recorded flat into a M-Audio interface. The pole peices are pretty much flush with the M80 casing and it is in acvive setting.

Fylde Small Falstaff- Engleman/Bog Oak
Fylde Small Falstaff- Engleman/ Madagascan Rosewood
Sobell Martin Simpson MK2- German/ Brazilian Rosewood

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification