The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-27-2022, 08:17 PM
Charter Member

If I were you, I wouldn't buy anything new until you have actually played a guitar that makes a real difference to you. When you play a guitar that really sounds better to you under your fingers, you will know instantly. There will be no doubt in your mind.

I know the Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE. I helped a friend buy one. It's a good sounding guitar, especially with new strings. Depending on how you play, a better or more expensive guitar may not sound any better to you or to anyone else.

I would concentrate on becoming a better guitar player first. The guitar you have is good enough to keep from limiting you in any significant way, especially with the action properly set up and adjusted to your preferences. If your Epi DR500 is at all hard to play, then pay $80-100 to have a good technician do a good setup on your guitar. That can make such a huge difference in playability.

- Glenn

Last edited by Glennwillow; 01-27-2022 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-27-2022, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

I would definitely keep your Epiphone Masterbilt if you can. I am hoping to find an Epiphone AJ-500RC SNS 12-fret some day.
Old 01-27-2022, 09:32 PM

Good advice to get your epi set up by and really good tech, someone that knows how to file the nut slots so it is easy to play in first position. It will take a while for you to really hone not only skills, but your style and your preference for the picky stuff, nut width, saddle spacing, etc. Who knows you might want to learn John Prine tunes and learn fingerstyle or go for totally different style guitar in another year.

Maybe a better "new" guitar is a cheap playable guitar for travel and camping. Many like the $200 yamaha dread or just go for the "inspired by gibson" epi J-45 that is so well loved one here. But no reason really to go buy a new $2500 guitar now, unless you have the money and realize it will be same as buying a new guitar and will go down in value the day you buy it.
Old 01-28-2022, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
If I were you, I wouldn't buy anything new until you have actually played a guitar that makes a real difference to you. When you play a guitar that really sounds better to you under your fingers, you will know instantly. There will be no doubt in your mind.

- Glenn
^^ This 100%

You will know instantly

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion