The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-15-2021, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Default Really happy with new firmware update on NUX Mighty Air

I picked up a NUX Mighty Air a little while ago to combine with my EO folding guitar as ana amazingly portable setup for ultra light travel.

They dropped a new firmware and revamped their amp modelling recently. I'm really happy to report that my first impressions are that it really improved the acoustic tone to me.

They also added a compressor to the effects which happened to be one of the best things I gave them as feedback. This has really helped to get more volume out of the small speakers without risking going into distortion or breakup

I also have a THR30ii (not the accoustic version). And I'm happy to say the nux came a lot closer with this update to the tone there. Before if I had the choice between the two in my house for playing I would always go to the Yamaha. Now it's a lot closer.

Last edited by Aspiring; 10-15-2021 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-27-2022, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

A little late here, but I'm intrigued by these portable amps. I'm thinking about something either for travel with a collapsable guitar, or just noodling at home with my other guitars. Considering the latter case, I'm wondering how loud the Mighty Air is.

Suppose you played an acoustic/electric by itself, then play it with the NUX. Does the guitar itself overpower the NUX, or the other way around, or neither? I don't need a lot of added volume, but it would be nice if the amp were at least comparable in volume to the guitar.
Old 01-27-2022, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
A little late here, but I'm intrigued by these portable amps. I'm thinking about something either for travel with a collapsable guitar, or just noodling at home with my other guitars. Considering the latter case, I'm wondering how loud the Mighty Air is.

Suppose you played an acoustic/electric by itself, then play it with the NUX. Does the guitar itself overpower the NUX, or the other way around, or neither? I don't need a lot of added volume, but it would be nice if the amp were at least comparable in volume to the guitar.
It depends a lot on the pickup level coming out of the guitar. With a tonedexter in front of it I can get quite bit of volume out of it. But overall the NUX is generally a bit louder than any acoustic guitar. Even running the pickup from my BlackBird El Capitan into it (which is a pretty loud guitar) the amp will generally be louder anywhere in the same room than the guitar making it difficult to hear the guitar while playing it.

The amp takes a moderate bit of tweaking to get a louder level out of it and still have it clean though. It helps that it has a compressor and a few options built in to aid with that.

It is definitely quieter than the THR30 I have probably about half the volume? Which is in turn a fair bit quieter than my Acoustic Singer Live 60W amp.

I know you have a Little Jane as I do and I have just put an ultratonic pickup in that one and quite like the sound through the NUX. It is louder than the Little Jane itself with the amp basically maxed out but still clean. If I run the ultratonic through the tonedexter first I can get it significantly louder than the Little Jane.

Last edited by Aspiring; 01-27-2022 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-27-2022, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Thanks. Very helpful.

One last question that I couldn't find an answer to online. I know the THRs have a Tone Blend knob that lets you mix the raw sound from the guitar with that modeled in the amp going from 100% dry to 100% wet, which seems pretty useful. Is there something similar on the Mighty Air?
Old 01-27-2022, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Thanks. Very helpful.

One last question that I couldn't find an answer to online. I know the THRs have a Tone Blend knob that lets you mix the raw sound from the guitar with that modeled in the amp going from 100% dry to 100% wet, which seems pretty useful. Is there something similar on the Mighty Air?
This came up in the discussion group for the NUX. It appears the answer to that is no.

There are ways of changing the IRs in the firmware and there is a unity IR going around. And there is a "level" control in the IR page itself but right now the understanding is the level control only changes the overall level after applying the IR with 100% wet blend.

Oh and I'll add that for acoustic ironically enough one of my favorite IRs to use is the stock jz120 ir which is the speaker ir emulating the Roland Jazz chorus electric amp. I like that better than any of the built in magnetic pickup acoustic guitar sims.

Last edited by Aspiring; 01-27-2022 at 06:16 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification