The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-25-2020, 08:06 PM

Wow, you guys have some complicated setups. Tone is important to me to, but our gigs are both acoustic and electric. I couldn't fathom a 5-6 piece chain for just the acoustic stuff. I truly respect the search for optimal tone, but I'm unwilling to put in the time and money to achieve sonic nirvana. Good enough for the public works for me.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 06-25-2020, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Wow, you guys have some complicated setups. Tone is important to me to, but our gigs are both acoustic and electric. I couldn't fathom a 5-6 piece chain for just the acoustic stuff.
Are you talking about just effects? If all you are using is an acoustic and want some variety, I don't see why not. Why should electric guitars get to have all the fun?

I play both acoustic and electric live as well. My acoustic chain is longer than my electric, although that's because the electric gets one box with multi-effects and amp modeling.

The acoustic chain isn't that long (for playing live):

Composite Acoustics GX > Fishman Aura pickup > Grace Alix preamp > Mooer Yellow compressor > TC Hall of Fame 2 reverb

PA, if I bring my own, is Behringer XR18 mixer to QSC (K2.10s or CP8, depending on size of gig).

In the studio, it's Guitar > Microphone. Much simpler.
Old 06-26-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
Are you talking about just effects? If all you are using is an acoustic and want some variety, I don't see why not. Why should electric guitars get to have all the fun?

I play both acoustic and electric live as well. My acoustic chain is longer than my electric, although that's because the electric gets one box with multi-effects and amp modeling.

The acoustic chain isn't that long (for playing live):

Composite Acoustics GX > Fishman Aura pickup > Grace Alix preamp > Mooer Yellow compressor > TC Hall of Fame 2 reverb

PA, if I bring my own, is Behringer XR18 mixer to QSC (K2.10s or CP8, depending on size of gig).

In the studio, it's Guitar > Microphone. Much simpler.
Well, I certainly cannot and won't argue about what a good signal chain is for anyone. Our duo gigging vehicle is a corolla. If we use 2 speakers, there is no room for a guitar amp. If we use one, we can pack a bass and guitar amp. We have to make certain sacrifices in the flexibility realm. W/one speaker we lose dispersion but have better tone with a tube amp. Two guitars, a banjo and a bass fill the back seat pretty well.

For me, it's a matter of:

1) More effects/pedals = more things that can go wrong. I prefer KISS method.
2) Size limitation of our vehicle prohibits all but essential gear.
3) Prolonged setup time when using more stuff.

On gigs, time is money and I prefer fast setup and breakdown. I tried the large pedalboard route and it just didn't suit my style or philosophy for gigging.

FWIW, my next purchase is likely to be a Pod Go so I can get decent tone sans amp.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 06-26-2020, 03:59 PM

Any good single source pickup - Grace Alix - PA (or amp)
Any good dual source pickup - Grace Felix - PA (or amp)

I use these preamps with 8 different pickups systems and the work great with all of them (acoustic guitars: Trance Anthem, Schertler Dyn G, B-Band 2.2 XOM, Fishman Infinity Matrix, and LR Baggs Anthem, and for my resonators: Krivo, Highlander, National).
Old 06-27-2020, 07:08 AM

Blue Chip pick or my nail trimmed fingers>guitar>Dazzo 60’s pickups>onboard Sunnaudio Tone driver>Sunnaudio MS-2 Preamp>Bose or house system.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 06-27-2020, 01:33 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
My early training as an electronics technician in the USN influences my signal chain choice with some lessons I learned working on radar, communication gear and nuclear plant control systems:

1. Every stage in the chain introduces noise and distortion.
2. Every stage in the chain introduces new failure modes, reducing system reliability.
3. Interconnecting cables, wires, connectors, etc. are a common and frequently overlooked source of failure.

So my signal chain is as short and simple as possible. Instrument > cable > acoustic amp with appropriate input impedance for the pickups used. In my case a Carvin AG300.
The Ordie red shirts would just plug everything in and pray
06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
13 Gibson Les Paul Standard
14 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
16 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24
23 Taylor GS Mini Walnut LTD

---------------------
Old 06-28-2020, 02:44 AM

I have an interesting chain i think!

Thumb pick, Gibbo all hog J45, into a Boss AD2 with just a fraction of resonance nothing else, that goes into a Digitech Trio+ into AER compact 60, I run a cable from the Trio into a powered monitor for drums and bass. But also i run a Ditto stereo looper into the effects loop on the AER then run a cable from that to a Fishman L/B mini, so i get the loops coming from both amps and also the loops from the Trio in both amps. Sounds great and is amazing fun!
Old 06-29-2020, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Fingers, Strings, sometimes a pick. When live at a show I'm a PA guy. I never bought an acoustic amp. Though I've kind of been looking at them lately. I tend to like the sound of a 15" wedge. I like a chorus. so My Acoustic pedalboard goes From guitar to Peterson Strobe-O-Stomp. Morley Lil' Alligator Volume. Carl Martin Classic Chorus, Radial JDI, Out to mixer. If doing my own sound. Allen & Heath Mix Wizard. Depending on the venue and ambient reverb may add just a touch of reverb from mixer. Out to JBL 815 wedge.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

Blue Chip CT-55, Cole Clark Angel 2, Bose S1 Pro.

Doesn't get any simpler or better than that. For me, at least.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification