The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-30-2017, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipguitar_pro View Post
I have the Anthem in my Gibson and it blows the doors off the ES 1 or 2 systems in my Taylors. It's not a fair fight...

This is one of the reasons I ordered my 914c without electronics. IMHO players that "believe" their ES sounds better than an Anthem have not tried an Anthem or have serious hearing loss they are not aware of.
I would agree with everything Flipguitar says above. My Larrivee L03 with the Anthem SL is the most transparently 'acoustic' sounding of my guitars. I have three Taylors all with various versions of the ES system, and they sound fine but need some EQ tweaking to get there. The Anthem system direct into my Loudbox Artist with EQ virtually flat (I dial out a bit of midrange) is a great sound.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

Another for the Anthem SL. I played Sunrise pickups for decades. I tried many others that just didn't quite satisfy me. Recently my tech put an Anthem SL in my new Waterloo guitar. I plug straight in to an AER Compact 60 and leave the eq flat. It's very simple you just plug and play. Plenty of volume without feedback. I've had compliments on the sound when playing out. What's not to like?
Old 11-30-2017, 10:21 AM

I just posted this in another discussion:

I live in Brazil and the only option to me is buying online, so I'm trying to get as much feedback as I can from users before deciding.

A month ago I acquired a very nice Martin 000RS1, sounds really good unplugged, but it came with a Fishman Sonitone, which I quite desliked.

I previously had a Sigma DMC-15E, with a Fishman Isys+, and it sounded alright, or at least it wasn't half as bad as the Sonitone.

As I play with a band, feedback would be a serious problem to consider. I was wondering if the full L.R. Baggs Anthem would be an improvement, since, from what I heard, the SL is more prone to feedback than the full version. I always read/hear wonders about the Anthem online, but my only access to it has been online videos, and that's not very much.

So, what I'd like to know is: will the Anthem by a real improvement from the Sonitone? Should I just forget it and buy a pedal instead? I was considering the L.R. Baggs Venue/ Session/ Para DI, so any feedback on those would be nice as well.

Thanks!
Old 11-30-2017, 11:43 AM

You guys are great ..big thanks for all the feedback!

Result: I strayed off the path and went with the Lyric!

Yeah, I know I know ...there are those who adamantly dislike the tone, while others who praise it as truly natural. After much reading --and listening to youtubes for what little that's worth, I know-- I went with Lyric for these reasons:

1. I ultimately decided that I didn't want to add a UST as I preferred simpler, non-intrusive changes to the saddle.

2. I read a lot about who folks loved or hated the Lyric based on its lack of bass response. I have personally found that too many amplified acoustics I've heard over the decades (with whatever system folks have) are overly bass boosted, and folks that seem to praise this tone are really remarking on the dynamics of the player than they are on the natural quality of the acoustic instrument. I am of the school of thought that an acoustic guitar played as such really does not have the big bass I hear so typically pumped through the house, so this "criticism" of the Lyric actually helped convince me to try it.

2. It is "only" my backup and not at all my primary "go-live" guitar so simpler installation was attractive.

3. If I do end up using this guit w/lyric live, I run through a Baggs Venue which I am confident (hope? ) will get my tone at least decent, if not genuinely good.

That said, the SL was a close contender. And who knows, if I end up hating the Lyric, it'll be up FS and I'll be ordering the SL, hahaha! Thanks a bunch, gents!

Edward
Old 11-30-2017, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
I do think I can hear some of the ‘sponge’ in your video but it’s hard to tell on YouTube. Also the guitar and playing sound great so it wouldn’t matter.

I’ve just made a decision to only use the Anthem in my Rainsong stage guitar for now and still to the matrix and k and k in my wood guitars.
I hear what you are talking about too. but I have found that is the mic compressing. The sound in the room is nice and tight, snappy and pure. I've recorded other guitars that have no anthem using this same video/audio recorder and they exhibit a similar compression.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 11-30-2017, 07:00 PM

For what its worth, Rafael, the acoustic guitarist for The Voice TV show uses the Anthem SL on five guitars he plays for the show and for the studio recordings of the vocalists. Of course all his guitars are given to him free of charge installed with the Anthem SL.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 11-30-2017, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
For what its worth, Rafael, the acoustic guitarist for The Voice TV show uses the Anthem SL on five guitars he plays for the show and for the studio recordings of the vocalists. Of course all his guitars are given to him free of charge installed with the Anthem SL.
The Anthem is even on the Taylors I see on the Voice? Hmm. That would be surprising. But cool if that's the case.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 10-29-2018, 08:16 AM

So besides the larger size, mix controls and obviously price, are these the only differences between the Anthem and the Antem SL? Do they work with the same concept, with the Anthem giving you more control to dial it in as you see fit?
Old 10-29-2018, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

My guitar tech talked me into installing a full Anthem system in a brand new Waterloo guitar. I wasn't entirely happy with it. LR Baggs support suggested I try the Anthem SL instead. We installed the Anthem SL in the same guitar and I find it more to my liking.

My tech, who can play circles around me, prefers the full Anthem paired with a Venue preamp. Me? The Anthem SL has more output compared to full Anthem and somehow it just sounds better to my ears.

Last edited by Al Acuff; 10-29-2018 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 04:53 PM

I had a full Anthem installed in my Martin D-15. Having the ability to blend the Undersaddle pickup with the mic is a valuable feature, at least to me it was - it especially came in handy in widely varying open mic situations. Anything that gives you more control over your guitars tone to FOH is a good thing.
Old 10-29-2018, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

I am surprised the SL has more gain than the full Anthem. Never heard of that before. Not disputing it, just new information.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 10-29-2018, 06:33 PM

I am fully happy with the Full Anthem system.

I've played the Same Martin DM for 10yrs now, and I did notice a slight sponginess to the sound after first installing the Anthem. However, that has seemed to largely go away over a few months and with a different gauge string set. I don't mind the difference. It's just not perfectly the same.

Also, there are many factors that affect any pickup differently. I used to use .13 strings but that bass response is too intense for any pickup to sound it's best in my experience. I have switched to .12 strings and find the sound of the pickup to be much more natural sounding. But also there is playing technique, pick thickness, etc... I say all of this to say that this pickup is great no matter what, but it is the absolute best if you take the time to learn it and get the best sounds you can.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:35 PM

I tried the Lyric on my Arlo Guthrie LG-2 3/4. It was boxy, and very feedback prone. I was so unhappy, my local shop let me exchange it for the Anthem SL, still small enough to work in the 3/4 body. It was a huge improvement, to say the least. Having said that, it does not create a super natural acoustic sound. But, the sound it does create works well for me. Somewhat metallic, but punchy. Al Fernald says it's the best sounding acoustic/electric he's ever heard.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
I am surprised the SL has more gain than the full Anthem. Never heard of that before. Not disputing it, just new information.
I got that fact directly from LR Baggs tech support. The SL is a simpler circuit and that has some advantages in terms of engineering. My amps and preamps offer so much sound shaping that I don't really need more than a volume control on the guitar itself. YMMV.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Acuff View Post
I got that fact directly from LR Baggs tech support. The SL is a simpler circuit and that has some advantages in terms of engineering. My amps and preamps offer so much sound shaping that I don't really need more than a volume control on the guitar itself. YMMV.
I never could get a usable sound from the SL. I agree that it's probably clearer and possibly even louder but there's just not enough bottom end for me. It's odd because when I used the Lyric for a few months, I missed the enhanced bass but that was probably my favourite pickup to use for aggressive strumming since it sounded so natural. When I switched to the SL I was expecting more bass but never got that. On top of that, I didn't love the tone. I feel like the tru-mic and Element have such a distinct tone on their own but once put together, it's not all that appealing. Just my observations.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification