The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-02-2020, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

Default anyone put a straplock beside an endpin pickup jack?

got a wonderful sounding Gibson AE LG2 that I am setting up for a young lady who will be on stage with it a lot. it has the standard LR Baggs endpin/jack. I know a strap can be put on that, but I'd like to put a set of strap locks and the strap i'll be using is a NativeSons and the end is double leather and pretty thick.

I will use a washer and vice and put an indention in the area on the leather to facilitate the straplock. I'm thinking of putting the straplock pin to either side of the endpin jack, would love to put it above(as in playing position), but I'm not sure yet about how much wood is available in the end block but plan to investigate that. but if I put it above(in holding/playing position), the thick leather end may cover the endpin jack access, so I'm thinking to either side.

like to see some pictures of anyone that has done this(I know you are out there), and if it worked as well as you thought it would.

going to put a J-200 style pickguard in a dark red swirl tortoloid. this things going to rock-it already does, but this will bring on a cool vibe I think.

any thoughts or ideas please bring it. anyone that has used this LR Baggs endpin/jack with a strap, how'd it do. the spacing is so thin it would be hard to put a donut keeper with this strap, plus the strap locks are secure and make it fast to put on/take off a strap. and she has been known to kinda do some Jimi Hendrix type maneuvers while playing so she can grab the mike and sing/talk(guitar swings behind the back in one movement-etc)

thanks
d
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_20200602_141929_resized.jpg (37.1 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_20200602_141833_resized.jpg (20.5 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_20200602_141852_resized.jpg (18.2 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_20200601_145433_resized_1.jpg (28.4 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_20200601_145451_resized.jpg (26.8 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_20200601_145609_resized_1.jpg (35.7 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg OIP29QH87IV.jpg (5.7 KB, 95 views)
Old 06-02-2020, 10:11 PM
Charter Member

I wouldnt drill any additional holes in the guitar. I've had good luck with rhe D'addario strap keeper. There is also the Tapastring product and a few other options.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:25 PM

Acousti-Lok is what you want. Available from Sweetwater.

Old 06-02-2020, 10:40 PM

Move the endpin/output jack to the lower position shown in the picture and then install an endpin in the hole using a no-jack endpin from StewMac, or by using something similar. You could also fill the hole and install a regular endpin.
You might want to leave the output jack where it is and install an endpin almost anywhere on the bottom by gluing a small block of wood inside the guitar and screwing into that.

DualButtons.jpg Nojackendpin.jpg
Old 06-02-2020, 11:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormin1155 View Post

Never knew of this, thank you!
Perfect, no alteration and less to do for me.
d
Old 06-02-2020, 11:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive-south View Post
I wouldnt drill any additional holes in the guitar. I've had good luck with rhe D'addario strap keeper. There is also the Tapastring product and a few other options.
I will check these out. Thank you
Old 06-02-2020, 11:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
Move the endpin/output jack to the lower position shown in the picture and then install an endpin in the hole using a no-jack endpin from StewMac, or by using something similar. You could also fill the hole and install a regular endpin.
You might want to leave the output jack where it is and install an endpin almost anywhere on the bottom by gluing a small block of wood inside the guitar and screwing into that.

Attachment 38660 Attachment 38661
That's a good thought also, and would not take much to accomplish.
Thank you
d
Old 06-03-2020, 12:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormin1155 View Post

watched the video, got two of these(i have two LG2's to set up for stage use). i have used a couple musicnomad products and every one of them are excellent. love the ballbearing string winder-its especially great for mandolin and fits the small tuning heads perfect.

i like how you can position this adaptor at an angle also.

d
Old 06-03-2020, 04:31 AM

I have recessed Dunlop Straploks at the tail and heel of my latest guitar build.

Details here:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=578582

Old 06-03-2020, 12:46 PM

I would get a D'Addario CinchFit strap adapter to connect the endpin jack to the strap and be done with it. 15 bucks, non-intrusive, simple and secure.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 06-03-2020, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
I would get a D'Addario CinchFit strap adapter to connect the endpin jack to the strap and be done with it. 15 bucks, non-intrusive, simple and secure.
Thats what I meant when I said strapkeeper. I have 4 of these and they work great with end pin jacks. Easily attach to any strap regardless how thick.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair