The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-21-2023, 03:45 PM

Default What Tuning is this?

So, I discovered a tuning a few years ago that I use all the time now - but I can't seem to find out the proper name for it. The low E is tuned down to a C and the A is tuned down to a G. Everything else is the same. I'm sure a lot of folks won't believe I don't know this so - if so please forgive if this seems obvious you you
Old 04-21-2023, 03:58 PM

Dropped C tuning?
Old 04-21-2023, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susieguitar View Post
So, I discovered a tuning a few years ago that I use all the time now - but I can't seem to find out the proper name for it. The low E is tuned down to a C and the A is tuned down to a G. Everything else is the same. I'm sure a lot of folks won't believe I don't know this so - if so please forgive if this seems obvious you you
The tuning is commonly associated with Hawaiian slack key music and is referred to as C Wahine or "Keola's C".

I started a topic a while back to demo its use, "Adventures in CGDGBE!". I've got a bunch more tunes to post utilizing it, so I need to get off my dairy air and do it!
Old 04-21-2023, 05:37 PM

That's a tuning I instantly associate with Richard Thompson, as he used it on "1952 Vincent Black Lightning" and "Beat the Retreat." I believe Lindsay Buckingham also used it on "Never Going Back Again." It's a really pretty tuning. I am working on a few originals using that tuning.
Old 04-21-2023, 08:09 PM

Wow. I'm new to tunings other than dbl drop D, but bought a resonator so had to experiment with open G. I came up with a little riff that was asking for the low D to come down to C. So it's the same as this with a high D.
The reason I said wow is that I had to put down a guitar in that tuning to post this.
Old 04-21-2023, 11:04 PM

Smile My fav chord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railroad Bum View Post
That's a tuning I instantly associate with Richard Thompson, as he used it on "1952 Vincent Black Lightning" and "Beat the Retreat." I believe Lindsay Buckingham also used it on "Never Going Back Again." It's a really pretty tuning. I am working on a few originals using that tuning.

Very cool I LOVE Richard Thompson. Didn't realize he used this tuning for "1952 Vincent Lightning". I've found some beautiful chords on it. This is my favorite - it's a variation of a Dm11. Sorry the pics so big - just getting the hang of this. NOTE: This is with a capo on the 2nd fret - that's why the notes are D A F G C.

Last edited by Susieguitar; 04-21-2023 at 11:07 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-22-2023, 03:41 AM

Quote:
That's a tuning I instantly associate with Richard Thompson, as he used it on "1952 Vincent Black Lightning" and "Beat the Retreat."
Yes, but..
Quote:
I believe Lindsay Buckingham also used it on "Never Going Back Again."
That was drop D.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Tags
open tuning