The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-07-2020, 03:12 PM

Default A Custom Build & An Introduction

Hello AGF! It’s quite a pleasure to be here after many years of drooling over the custom builds of many luthiers I admire. Allow me to introduce myself:
My name is Benjamin Liggett, and I’m a luthier from Tulsa, Oklahoma. After attending Roberto-Venn school of luthiery in 2012, I returned to my hometown of Tulsa and immediately began working as a luthier at Bishline Banjos, alongside luthier Rob Bishline. During that time I built several guitars under my own brand Liggett Guitars, some electric and some acoustic. I got free reign of their shop, and got to hone my inlay skills, doing custom inlay for many Bishline customers and other luthiers alike. I estimate that I got to carve about 1000 banjo necks while at Bishline. What a great opportunity! Not to mention finish work, fretwork, sanding, and all other aspects of luthiery.

Over the last couple years I’ve been preparing my workshop in anticipation of going full time, and that time has come!
I now have a fully operational workshop with all the woodworking tools and timbers I’ve been amassing while working at bishline. Sanders, saws, storage racks, chisels and even a spray booth.

While at RV I did lots of research about the somogyi school of building with double sides, so the top and back could be braced lighter due to the stiffer outer frame. Last year I set out to build such a guitar for myself and the result of that was “The Crane”, a walnut OM, with a Sitka spruce top.

It has lots of the things I’ve always wanted in a personal acoustic, ie. arm bevel, oil finish neck, Art Deco inlays adorning the back and sides, paper Crane fretboard inlay, and a pin-less bridge. The back bracing is a lattice style with ebony caps on the joints. The guitar is tonally well-balanced, and projects quite well. It has great headroom, but reacts well to a soft fingerpicking technique. It gets LOUD if you drive it with a pick. I find that there is a lovely “bloom” when strumming chords. Needless to say, I'm sold when it comes to this style of building. Moving forward however, I'd like to refine a style that's more "me" and not as obvious a nod to somogyi apprentices.

I had hoped to keep this guitar for myself, but alas, business dictates that I need to let it go.

As for what's next.... I recently received a STUNNING set of Koa back and sides from the fine people at koaguitarsets.com, and I cannot wait to get this next build rolling! Thanks for having me here guys, I love the forum and I'm glad to finally be participating.

Last edited by TomB'sox; 07-08-2020 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Selling needs to be done in Marketplace
Old 07-07-2020, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Hey Ben,

Looks like some very nice work. Welcome to the forum. I like the Art Deco style and pinless bridge. Do you have sound samples of the guitar?

Mark
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 07-07-2020, 04:44 PM

Welcome to the forum. I look forward to seeing your builds.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 07-07-2020, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Ya, keep us advised.
Yamamoto Jumbo 27 - Bashkin Placencia FanFret Cedar/EIR - Leo Posch DS12 Adj/Hormigo - Ovation Legion shallow body - - Taylor 562 GC 12 String - C. Freeborn Alto- Froggy Bottom H12C Adj/EIR- Ryan Nightengale Engelmann/Af. Blackwood - Kostal MD
Old 07-07-2020, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

Smile Glad you are here!

Beautiful instrument above!!! Welcome aboard.

Looking forward to more. That Koa is REALLY SPECTACULAR

Stay ahealthy and have fun

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 07-07-2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele1111 View Post
Hey Ben,

Looks like some very nice work. Welcome to the forum. I like the Art Deco style and pinless bridge. Do you have sound samples of the guitar?

Mark
Thanks very much Mark. Here's a couple rough sound samples. I'll take some recordings with good mics soon.

Video 1:
https://youtu.be/9mGq9OJC0HU

Video 2:
https://youtu.be/ovWbSfAgdh8
Old 07-07-2020, 07:44 PM

Welcome to the forum and thank you for becoming a sponsor. The guitar sounds wonderful, it would be great to see a close up of the inlay on the fretboard if you had one.

Congrats on a beautiful instrument.
Old 07-07-2020, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Welcome to the forum and thank you for becoming a sponsor. The guitar sounds wonderful, it would be great to see a close up of the inlay on the fretboard if you had one.

Congrats on a beautiful instrument.
Thank you sir!

As requested:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E690A0FF-2340-4B3D-80CD-F2A318110DAB.jpg (30.9 KB, 261 views)
Old 07-07-2020, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiggettGuitars View Post
Thanks very much Mark. Here's a couple rough sound samples. I'll take some recordings with good mics soon.

Video 1:
https://youtu.be/9mGq9OJC0HU

Video 2:
https://youtu.be/ovWbSfAgdh8
Beautiful instrument and looks like very clean work. The sound is good, too. Shoot your videos in widescreen so we can see more of what's going on, please.

David

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 07-07-2020, 09:44 PM

Some nice detail work. Nicely done cutaway.

I like the walnut back - what type of walnut?

I can hear the 'bloom' you mentioned. I like that in guitars.
There seemed to be plenty of sustain - good in my book!

I'll pile on and encourage you to make more recordings/videos.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 07-08-2020, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

Beautiful instrument. Your inlays are very nice. I would like to see some pics of the inside of your new shop.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

Guitars sound and look wonderful. All the best in your new venture and building career!
Old 07-09-2020, 07:12 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
Beautiful instrument and looks like very clean work. The sound is good, too. Shoot your videos in widescreen so we can see more of what's going on, please.

David
Finally recorded with some decent mics. Please forgive my playing, everything goes to hell when the red light comes on!

Cheers

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sXmugYYiEvw
Old 07-09-2020, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiggettGuitars View Post
Finally recorded with some decent mics. Please forgive my playing, everything goes to hell when the red light comes on!

Cheers

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sXmugYYiEvw
That red light will do the trick every time!! Sounds good to me. And the widescreen video is much better, too.

David

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 07-09-2020, 10:44 PM

That paper crane inlay is awesome, beautiful build!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop