The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-16-2019, 09:16 PM

Thank you for posting this, Tom, that's a beauty! I think I saw this guitar on the Lame Horse homepage, really a work of art. What wood is this used for the back and sides?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodahdoug View Post
Whoa, beautiful example of the Saddle Pal Tom! Best of luck with your build Ernesto!
Thank you It's a great experience, I will keep you posted.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:43 AM

The back and sides are Oregon Myrtle, but are double sides with ebony as an inner lining. The top is Engelmann. That really nice figure on front and back of the headstock is Bubinga. Rosette is abalone and reconstituted stone.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

I absolutely adore my Saddle Pal. You're in good hands with Chris and Jeremy. This will be great following along because like Tom, I bought mine at Woodstock and didn't get to see it come together.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
I absolutely adore my Saddle Pal. You're in good hands with Chris and Jeremy. This will be great following along because like Tom, I bought mine at Woodstock and didn't get to see it come together.
So How about a picture of your Woodstock 2018 Saddle Pal to keep our appetites whetted until Ernesto's next update Dan?
Old 03-17-2019, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodahdoug View Post
So How about a picture of your Woodstock 2018 Saddle Pal to keep our appetites whetted until Ernesto's next update Dan?

If you insist! Also, I believe it’s a 2017. It has made its rounds at guitar shows all over, and played by some heavyweights!...

IMG_8795.jpg

IMG_8806.jpg

IMG_8809.jpg
Old 03-17-2019, 04:37 PM

Wow, that's another beauty. The three dimensional soundhole is crazy, and that Madagascar... I don't know if this makes the wait easier Thanks for posting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
The back and sides are Oregon Myrtle, but are double sides with ebony as an inner lining. The top is Engelmann. That really nice figure on front and back of the headstock is Bubinga. Rosette is abalone and reconstituted stone.
Thanks, Tom, that's interesting information. With regard to the back and sides, I thought it was maybe Myrtle, but because it is darker I was not so sure. I think Chris and Jeremy love this wood; I was close to going with Myrtle as well.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
If you insist! Also, I believe it’s a 2017. It has made its rounds at guitar shows all over, and played by some heavyweights!...

Attachment 20489

Attachment 20490

Attachment 20491
Very nice, I like the horse inlay on the access cover and what beautiful woods and rosette.
Old 03-30-2019, 08:30 PM

Hello everyone, Chris and Jeremy send me some more photos. It's taking shape...

This is the Maple veneer which will be laminated to the inside of the Koa sides:
maplevennerready.jpg

Here are photos of the side lamination from ready to apply glue, to the vacuum press making sure the veneer is perfectly applied with no gaps or areas of poor attachment between the Maple veneer and the Koa sides while the glue dries:
sidereadyforglueweb.jpg
sidereadyformold.jpg
sideinmold.jpg
sideinvacuumpress.jpg

Last edited by Ernesto; 04-15-2019 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-30-2019, 10:06 PM
Charter Member

Very nice. I enjoyed seeing a few of their guitars at NAMM. I wouldn't mind owning one of their belt buckles either. Really well done. Beautiful craftsmanship as you can imagine with these guitars.
Old 03-31-2019, 03:32 PM

Yes, their craftsmanship and innovative designs are amazing. And the best thing, they sound GREAT too
Old 03-31-2019, 03:39 PM

A little update from Chris and Jeremy (quoting from Chris' last email):

"All laminated and in the mold. Notice how perfectly the sides fit the mold. With double sides, they hold their shape perfectly, no need for spreaders when gluing on the top and back. This puts zero force/stress on the top and back (unlike when spreaders are used, and then released). We don’t want any outside forces acting on that great cedar top!":
IMG_9630.jpg

Last edited by Ernesto; 04-15-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernesto View Post
Hello everyone, Chris send me some more photos. It's taking shape...

This is the Maple veneer which will be laminated to the inside of the Koa sides:

Attachment 20978
Wow! The inside will look almost as amazing as the exterior!

I'd be interested to learn what the material on the wood is and how it affects the guitar.

Great thread Ernesto.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Wow! The inside will look almost as amazing as the exterior!

I'd be interested to learn what the material on the wood is and how it affects the guitar.

Great thread Ernesto.
Thank you This is my first thread and I'm really enjoing it (also makes waiting a bit easier).
I asked Chris about it, I hope I explain this right. He said the material is maple veneer about 0.030” thick. The decorative pattern is applied with a proprietary process they have worked out. The decoration itself has no effect, but putting the material on the side helps the sound by stiffening the sides, as well as helping them hold their shape so that spreaders are not necessary to bring the sides to the correct shape. Less energy lost there if sides are stiff.
I think a lot of the features on Lame Horse guitars may look like ornamentation, but almost all of it has a structural or sonic purpose. They just try to make the features look nice also.

Last edited by Ernesto; 04-02-2019 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:16 PM

Some new pics from the Lame Horse crew!

Kerfing applied. I think it frames the beautifully decorated Maple veneer really well:
IMG_9654.jpg

And the rosette. Male pieces cut. The drawing is slowly becoming a reality:
IMG_20190406_222318.jpg

Last edited by Ernesto; 04-15-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:54 AM

Rosette in. Chris confessed he had been a bit more nervous than usual since the top is so special. "I'm glad it's in" (quote):
finishedrosette.jpg

Last edited by Ernesto; 04-15-2019 at 11:59 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop