The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-23-2019, 12:45 AM

The photographer perfectly captured the aesthetics that has made the J-45 a classic.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernieman View Post
What else than the finish makes these ones different from the standard J-45s (I'd rather learn from people loving their guitars than from the Gibson website like I could)...
The main thing is the sonic difference of a torrefied Adi top.
Mine is a very light guitar, and audibly so, but how much weight difference there is between standard and vintage I haven't compared.
The vintage's neck is a little thicker.
They do sound different. I found the 3 vintages I chose from each had more bottom end but I'm not about to say that makes them better - better for me but not for everyone .. and always, acoustic guitars with the same spec will differ.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ C View Post
The main thing is the sonic difference of a torrefied Adi top.
Mine is a very light guitar, and audibly so, but how much weight difference there is between standard and vintage I haven't compared.
The vintage's neck is a little thicker.
They do sound different. I found the 3 vintages I chose from each had more bottom end but I'm not about to say that makes them better - better for me but not for everyone .. and always, acoustic guitars with the same spec will differ.
Thanks Russ : I seemed to remember about the Adirondack top, from the last time I watched various J 45s on the Gibson website, but I wasn't sure as there are quite a few. I had forgotten about its being torrefied though...
Nice one
Old 06-23-2019, 07:39 PM

BEAUTIFUL!!

Old 07-01-2019, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy5 View Post
Very beautiful.
BTW: Is the neck thicker than a typical Gibson J 45?

ENJOY!
thx all for the replies -
think the baked (Adi red spruce) top & paper thin nitro finish really are going to be the keys to this model. breaking it in on Page, Lindsey Buckingham & King's X acoustic pieces. But this is for (original) Son Volt/alt-country stuff, no doubt..emphasis on country. alt-tunings/Page/Tabor stuff are a crispy cannon too. of course Page used Martin.

i'll get a photo up of the tuners; they're just Gotoh Relic White buttons. but something to the color that matches up with the semi-aged binding..really understated & vintagey.

neck is round fat, say between R8 & R68 sized. My '01 '68CA LP is the biggest LP neck I have. sorta wide shouldered i would say, lots of real estate for anchoring the thumb. can still do thumb-over work no problem. fretwork is top-shelf & action/relief is solid.

haven't decided on/if pickup system - probably will at some point. right now i don't even want to add a neck joint strap button ha.

love the understated/torrified burst look. am kinda sold on baked wood now, if not old wood. have 2014 Luxxtone superstrat spec'd with baked maple neck that got me going. my only other acoustic is the all-maple '90 Martin MC68 which (once it dried out in about 8 yrs.) covers the pristine high EQ stuff (EJ) - super unit.

this is for the alt-country J45 thing. hope u can try one out - peace out // Jim
Old 07-31-2019, 11:02 PM

Default lower TR screw factory sheared - SOP ?

Needed to make small TR adj. - noticed 5/8" nut-end TR cover screw was sawed/sheared by Gibson basically up past the threads to accomidate the TR/cover fit. I turn it as if threaded still, just to press it back in. Sheared screw is now about 1/4".

Is this factory norm ?

adjustment, now about 1/32" from fret crown (capo'd 1st & 15th) at 7th - really added some punch - love this fiddle, above is minor detail i suppose just curious.

Jim
Old 08-01-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talpa View Post
Needed to make small TR adj. - noticed 5/8" nut-end TR cover screw was sawed/sheared by Gibson basically up past the threads to accomidate the TR/cover fit. I turn it as if threaded still, just to press it back in. Sheared screw is now about 1/4".

Is this factory norm ?

adjustment, now about 1/32" from fret crown (capo'd 1st & 15th) at 7th - really added some punch - love this fiddle, above is minor detail i suppose just curious.

Jim
I doubt the sheared truss rod cover screw is normal. It's possible the tech at the guitar shop tweaked the truss rod at some point then overtightened the screw putting the plate back on. I like Dave's Guitar Shop, go there a couple times a year, and buy some stuff of course, but I wouldn't take a guitar to their tech. I doubt Gibson is to blame on this one.
Old 07-14-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrpilot View Post
Beautiful! Could you take a pic of the back of the headstock too? I'd love to see what tuners it has!

Congrats!
late reply, but here are the tuners

Old 07-14-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
late reply, but here are the tuners
That's the understatement of the year.
Old 07-14-2020, 04:17 PM

Really looks the business. Enjoy!
Old 07-14-2020, 06:00 PM

LOVE THIS GUITAR AS WELL!
2018 Gibson J-45 Vintage
Old 07-14-2020, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Got this one from Dave's - 1st Gibson acoustic. My favorite (modern) Gibson is the Sheryl Crow SJ (s/b), every one I have played was awesome. This one is too. has baked tonewoods, ergo the darker burst color -

great sounding unit - already pretty loud.
That is just gorgeous. I wish there was a dignified way to say I'm jealous I'm jealous I'M JEALOUS!!!

But there isn't a dignified way to say that so I won't.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 07-14-2020, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
I'm not jealous. My J45 is fantastic. Otherwise I'd hate you. :-)

Congrats man, that is beautiful.
LOL! No I hate him! I sold my TV and regrets abound. Hard not to pull the trigger on another.
Oh yeah! Congrats! Nice wood!
Old 07-15-2020, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Not if, but when....will I own one of these. Thanks for posting/sharing an amazing guitar.
Old 07-16-2020, 12:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
That's the understatement of the year.
I laughed a little too hard.
It's been a long day (year).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion