The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-12-2021, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

That neck block is super cool--very sculptural!

Are the top of bottom pieces of it padauk and the rest mahogany? Or it all mahogany? Either way, it's a slick-looking functional piece of art!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 05-17-2021, 03:36 PM

Default Ryan Gerber Build - RL15.5 - Swiss Moon Spruce | Black Walnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
That neck block is super cool--very sculptural!

Are the top of bottom pieces of it padauk and the rest mahogany? Or it all mahogany? Either way, it's a slick-looking functional piece of art!

That block is all African mahogany! The inner veneers on the sides, and the linings are Peruvian walnut.
Kostal Jumbo
Taran Tirga Mhor
Gerber RL15.5

Last edited by Scallywag; 05-17-2021 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-25-2021, 08:20 PM

Hello everyone! Here’s a little sneak preview of where things are with the build right now. More photos and an explanation of what you’re seeing coming soon!

Thanks for following!

Matt

2D628D01-B06B-42D7-AC5E-E5B95B461579.jpg
Kostal Jumbo
Taran Tirga Mhor
Gerber RL15.5
Old 05-26-2021, 11:00 AM

This is looking great. I've definitely got a soft spot for Gerber guitars. I think they'd have been a strong contender (along with Turnstone Guitars) if Taran hadn't existed and been on my doorstep.
Old 05-26-2021, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MThomson View Post
This is looking great. I've definitely got a soft spot for Gerber guitars. I think they'd have been a strong contender (along with Turnstone Guitars) if Taran hadn't existed and been on my doorstep.
Thanks Martin! Loving your Taran build! You've inspired me to put on my storytelling hat with the thoughtful details in your thread, so I'm going to weave a bit more personality and context into my updates.

I've yet to play a Turnstone but I'm itching to take one out for a date. Perhaps I'll be able to make the trip across the pond before the year is up. We'll see!
Kostal Jumbo
Taran Tirga Mhor
Gerber RL15.5
Old 05-26-2021, 07:38 PM

AGF! There are a few things going on in the image in my previous post, so let's unpack everything starting with the rosette.

Those who are familiar with Ryan's guitars may recognize the design. He has been employing a beautiful carved rosette for the past couple of years, and I consider it to be the defacto, and even the quintessential and iconic, Gerber rosette. It's perfect for the theme I had in mind for this instrument - Sol. Our home star. The Sun. I'd envisioned blazing reds, oranges, and yellows. Flame figure on a bright and colorful set of walnut. Fire. Everywhere.

This rosette is made from a billet of Australian Sheoak with some of the craziest figure I've ever seen. This stuff will also grace the headstock face.

The stuff looks like fire and was the perfect choice for my rosette. I opted for golden colored highlights to provide contrast between the carved notches.

Next, Ryan making it. Delicate work, as we can see.

It's about a full day to get to this point, with the work spread over a couple of days because of how involved and precise it is.

For the binding on the inner part of the rosette/soundhole, and therefor the rest of the guitar, Ryan suggested some highly figured Indian rosewood. It offers excellent contrast and will highlight the lighter orangish colored sheoak. In fact it features some orange streaks which works with the whole design. We see it again here underneath the rosette.

Here we see Ryan installing the carved ring into the channel in the top. The sound hole is also bound and purflings are installed, which comprise curly maple sandwiched between the yellow lines, then sandwiched again by the rosewood. During the finishing stage the carved ring will be masked off so it keeps its natural look. It will get a couple coats of shellac and wax when it’s all done, to draw out the figure and provide more depth to the colors.

Next up, tuning the top. Deflection testing and chladni patterns.

More soon, thank you for following!

Matt
Kostal Jumbo
Taran Tirga Mhor
Gerber RL15.5
Old 05-27-2021, 03:39 AM

The extra detail is great. I like your vision for the guitar and can definitely see it reflected (pun only marginally intended) in the design. Beautiful looking guitar. I think it's a really interesting idea to leave the rosette with a different finish to the rest to achieve the contrast.
Old 07-05-2021, 07:40 PM

Happy American Independence Day AGF! No matter where you are the world I hope you and yours had a top shelf weekend. I've received some fine updates to share on the development of this instrument.

The guitar is still undergoing a stellar formation, firmly entrenched in the Gerber Nebula. Things are starting to heat up...

First of, some chladni pattern testing! Here Ryan blasts a large speaker at the top plate and runs through a fulll frequency spectrum. A myriad of patterns morph and settle and reform throughout the range. It's a wild thing to see. I have a video of this from Ryan but I can't embed a video and I don't have the patience to upload to YouTube right now. Twist my arm a bit and I'll do it for interested parties.

I asked Ryan how this informs his building. Right now he's recording the information and cross referencing with characteristics that his various guitars exhibit after they are completed. He's not shooting for anything with these patterns quite yet. Rather, he's embracing the scientific way and recording everything to analyze later, when he's compelled to do so. A complete reference, and a prudent plan in my mind.

We also see deflection testing.

This test does aim for specific results. It'll inform him on how to approach thicknessing and bracing the top.

Finally (for now. I have more to share shortly), we have a YouTube video of a recently completed RL15.5 with very very similar woods that found itself in the hands of the venerable Matt Thomas. Needless to say I was beyond thrilled when I saw this. I told Ryan, and he'll been reaching into his library of build reference information to aim for the same results in my guitar. He's confident about reaching this desired state, and he was really happy that I reached out to him after watching the video.

We are on the cusp of stellar fusion my friends.

https://youtu.be/RkEjybxz1Ww

Thanks all for tuning in!

Matt
Kostal Jumbo
Taran Tirga Mhor
Gerber RL15.5

Last edited by Scallywag; 07-06-2021 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-06-2021, 01:49 PM

He really makes fabulous guitars. I reckon this is one to really look forward to
Old 07-07-2021, 12:54 PM

That RL15.5 sounds amazing! I’m hoping there is a video or soundclip of this guitar at the end of the build!
Old 07-07-2021, 08:17 PM

With this round of photos we have the top bracing being installed in the go-bar deck. I have a photo of the completed top with the bracing fit and finished, but I always feel a bit strange sharing that. Is it the secret sauce? No, not in and of itself. But, it's not my place to show everything going on under the hood. I will say that Ryan employs a symmetrical lattice-esq brace scheme, and the bridge plate looks like Padauk to me.

Here is the closed box.

Ryan has also been busy installing the binding, which again is some really interesting Indian rosewood with beautiful figure. I quite like a dark binding in general, and this stuff lets the Sheoak really shine while itself providing some character. For the keen eye you'll also see a subtle Manzer wedge in the body depth.

Lastly, here we can see the "micro" arm bevel being prepared. Ryan likes for the figure to follow the contour of the guitar body so he cuts pieces and matches them as best he can so that the lines on the figure follow the curves of the lower bout.

Next it's on to the neck. Interesting developments to follow...

Thanks for tuning in! I hope you're all having a great week!

Matt
Kostal Jumbo
Taran Tirga Mhor
Gerber RL15.5

Last edited by Scallywag; 07-08-2021 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-20-2021, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

This is really shaping up to be one gorgeous guitar--love Ryan's aesthetic and can't wait to hear this one deliver!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 07-28-2021, 03:03 PM

We're on to the neck! Ryan has been using a bird's beak joint construction for marrying the headstock to the neck is his most recent batches of guitars. I understand this to be a traditional joint, seen on Martin guitars prior to 1916 but rarely on guitars built today. I love it.

Here we can see the joint being prepared.

Here, the joint now now complete, as is the neck carve. This photo also shows off the installed backstrap. We went with the same figured Indian Rosewood that adorns the binding and end graft.

We're getting closer to the final woodworking and then finishing stages. There's a surprise element to this guitar that I'm excited to unveil, a visual embellishment that really drives home the threme of this instrument, so stay tuned!

Matt
Kostal Jumbo
Taran Tirga Mhor
Gerber RL15.5

Last edited by Scallywag; 07-28-2021 at 11:33 PM.
Old 07-29-2021, 03:27 AM

Fairly ramping up the drama now! This is just beautiful. The work is just flawless with everything where it should be. Hope you've got a lot of time on your hands to really enjoy these!
Old 07-29-2021, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Smile

Love the rosette and set of black walnut. Can't wait to see the finished guitar.

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop