The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-30-2021, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress Knee View Post
Great cover Glenn!

I grew up about 70 miles south of Nachitoches, LA. Mary Meulhiesen once told me that her brother and Jim Croce had booked a concert at Northwestern State University for $364 that was canceled for some reason. This was prior to Operator, Don't Mess Around with Jim, etc. Then the hits followed.

They went back the next year, chart toppers, but intended to honor the original contract. After the concert the word was out that the local authorities were coming out looking for pot contraband, so the pilot short-cut his safety checks, and the plane did not clear the trees at the end of the runway. The End.

I have an intro to a song that I am re-working up that I will post in the future. I can't remember the tune but it starts with "Once we were lovers but that was so very long ago." I am just going to do the intro which is much more classical than flatpicking or the 12312312 pattern that Croce loved to use.
What an interesting and yet, sad story, Jim.

Jim Croce never got to be around long enough after his career took off to enjoy any of it. I read Ingred Croce's book and really felt bad for both Jim and her for how things ended.

- Glenn
Old 07-30-2021, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_az View Post
Ernie,I am so glad to see you posted this. I am a huge JC fan and I love your version of this song. I was even thinking of posting a link to your SoundCloud site when I saw it was still there. I thought it was not appropriate though and sat out. Great job
Thank you al. I have been a huge Jim Croce since high school….and that was a long ago.

I hesitated to post this because I always thought my vocal quality doesn’t fit his songs. His throaty and melancholic vocal style perfectly interpreted his songs while mine is more towards the sterile and bland spectrum.
Old 07-31-2021, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I also did a video of Croce's "Operator," shown below. It's such a great, evocative song, that I think many of us have given this song a try over the years. I used my old '67 Martin D-35 on this.

- Glenn
That was really good, Glenn. That one is my favorite Jim Croce song, among many.
Old 07-31-2021, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeway View Post
That was really good, Glenn. That one is my favorite Jim Croce song, among many.
Thank you Angie!

I think this is my favorite Jim Croce song, too. I'm so glad you thought this came out okay.

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell