The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

View Poll Results: Do we need a better on guitar aftermarket IR solution?
Yes, I would be very interested and am likely a customer. 10 52.63%
No, I am satisfied with the IR pedal format already available. 5 26.32%
No, the existing peizo pickup options on the market are enough. 1 5.26%
No, the existing dual source pickup options on the market are enough. 3 15.79%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-22-2018, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Sounding processed can be subjective though. Maybe you are used to hearing a raw pickup more than a mic. For me there is a sweet spot with some pickups and Tone Dexter where I hear enough of the pickup for the attack but still have enough map to sound like a mic.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
Sounding processed can be subjective though. Maybe you are used to hearing a raw pickup more than a mic. For me there is a sweet spot with some pickups and Tone Dexter where I hear enough of the pickup for the attack but still have enough map to sound like a mic.
no i am used to hearing my guitar unplugged. now I know my guitar unplugged only louder is a holy grail never to be attained.
I am not talking about that. I'm just saying the TD didnt do it for me.especially live. I have a Felix pre and some outboard eq.
With a Martin and a kk mini. I can get a really nice sound from this The TD seemed to for lack of a better description squash the
Tone . Guess it's all what your coming from. I think in some cases the TD sounds better than what you had. Not in my case.

Last edited by varmonter; 04-24-2018 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:13 AM

I have always thought that this is a kind of interesting puzzle: what does your guitar actually sound like? We take a kind of psychological ownership of our guitar's sound as it sits on our lap and we play it all the time, but actually we are behind the guitar, so a miked guitar sounds subjectively different to us (usually better). It is interesting that the Tonedexter training process lets us position that microphone to the sweet spot we (think we) are looking for and then the Tonedexter box itself allows for further blending and EQing. And then of course the realities of the amplifier and the room add another dimension to the question. I know for myself that my own subjective impression of that acoustic sound coming out of the amplifier with a Tonedexter is so much better than the un treated K&K that I never cease to be amazed. But I am always doing this solo, without competing frequencies, which would probably require a different treatment with the Tondexter.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification