The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-17-2018, 06:10 PM

Default Okay to stick this in my soundhole?

I just bought a Recording King parlor guitar as a knock about. Surprisingly, it sounds really good for the $$$. So I want to have the option of amping it, should the need ever arise while knocking about... and one never knows what might come up while knocking about, right?

So I want cheap preamp for cheap guitar. After much looking around, I bought the one at... ...
HERE... ...

Now I am having second thoughts because of my extreme newbie/doofus status when it comes to such things. They haven't shipped yet so I can still cancel & get something else. Should I???

Please notice that this preamp comes in either (1) humbucking OR (2) coil. I ordered coil because I somehow associate humbuckers with hard metal rock guitars which, at age 87, ain't my style. If I do not cancel the order, I can still modify it from coil to humbucker. Should I? In other words, which of these (coil or humbucker) would be better for an acoustic guitar? (Also, if it isn't too much trouble, I would greatly appreciate the "why" for your advice... ...I want to learn.)

By the way, the A/E I use for church is a darlin' loverly Breedlove concert. I had it checked out by Jeb Wiemer, a local luthier. Would I break any rules if I added a link to Jeb's website?

Aloha from Hawaii 😇
Old 04-17-2018, 06:20 PM

Get the humbucker version. The coil is going to pick up more electrical interference which could be detrimental to a nice acoustic sound.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 04-17-2018, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
Get the humbucker version. The coil is going to pick up more electrical interference which could be detrimental to a nice acoustic sound.

^^^ What he said... Dave
Old 04-17-2018, 11:36 PM

Okay, thanks for the counsel. I found out that I had to cancel the "coil" order in order to change it. So I cancelled. I will order the humbecker type BUT I am still hoping for someone to bless or unbless this pick-up as an overall decent el cheapo preamp. So I shall wait a day or 2 before reordering.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:42 AM

To begin with it is a pickup, not a preamp. What’s more is it a passive pickup with no preamp circuitry which makes it easy to use (plug and play) but less versatile than an active system (ie one with built in preamp circuitry).

I’ve heard good things from the Neo-D pickups and if a magnetic sound hole pickup is what works for you then go for it. Depending on what you will be plugging it into you might want to look at an external preamp or at the very least an acoustic instrument DI of some sort - Radial have just released a new floor box based on its Pz-pre preamp but much simplified for example.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 04-18-2018, 02:39 AM

Ah ha... it's not a preamp. More gadgets between me & the amp? I'd rather not. So there is a somewhat costlier option at... ...
HERE.

That one uses a battery & claims to be a preamp. Is this good? Will it keep me from having to use a gadget between me and the amp? Is there anything else that will do an *adequate* job ... something that's a preamp, easily moveable between instruments, & a bit less costly?

==>by now I'm sure everyone has noticed that I am really sailing in unfamiliar waters as regards this electronics stuff, so I hope for your indulgence.

Last edited by bellgamin; 04-18-2018 at 02:41 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-18-2018, 02:51 AM

Default Okay to stick this in my soundhole?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellgamin View Post
Ah ha... it's not a preamp. More gadgets between me & the amp? I'd rather not. So there is a somewhat costlier option at... ...
HERE.

That one uses a battery & claims to be a preamp. Is this good? Will it keep me from having to use a gadget between me and the amp? Is there anything else that will do an *adequate* job ... something that's a preamp, easily moveable between instruments, & a bit less costly?

==>by now I'm sure everyone has noticed that I am really sailing in unfamiliar waters as regards this electronics stuff, so I hope for your indulgence.

I’ve had decent results with these when I’ve done sound for guitarists who use them. The advantage is that the signal is pretty robust and feedback-resistant. The downside is that although they are (of course) voiced for acoustic guitar strings they do tend have a magnetic (electric guitar) character. I suggest you check out Doug Young’s pickup comparisons on his website where he does the same three short guitar passages across a wide range of different pickups. I’m almost certain the Rare Earth is there.

If you are connecting direct to your own amp then it should be fine without extra gadgets, you can tweak a little at the amp to get the sound you want. If you are connecting to a PA via an audio mixer you will still benefit from a decent DI though your amp might have one built in.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 04-18-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
HERE.

I used the Fishman Neo-D in my Lowden and liked it. It does sound somewhat like an electric guitar pickup, but that's the nature of a magnetic pickup. I'd opt for a K&K mini with an end pin jack. Totally unobtrusive, no batteries, and it's there if you ever need it. They sound OK plugged directly in to most amps but you can always plug them into a preamp / direct box or effects pedal sitting on the floor if you wish.

I've put the K&K in 4 or 5 acoustics with good results in all cases.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
HERE.

The passive, cheaper one will probably be fine. My duo carries a passive NeoD humbucker as a backup in case one of our guitars' electronics fail. I've shaken it down with our PA and found it to be pretty good. I've got undersaddle and K&K contact pickups in my guitars and each option, including the NeoD, has its pluses and minuses. You could reasonably choose to like any of them as your favorite.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 04-18-2018, 03:19 PM

This one is nice as well ..it's active so has a preamp built in.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07C5...e+pickup&psc=1
this is the fishman rare earth blend for those who dont want to click.

Last edited by varmonter; 04-19-2018 at 06:15 AM.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:20 AM

Guys,

Will you please do us the favor of putting the proper name of the pick up you’re talking about so we don’t all have to click the stupid link to get the gist?

I’d recommend a Baggs M80 or a DiMarzio Angel or a Duncan SA6 magmic. Any of these can be found as bargains used and all will be more friendly to tune to your specific guitar than the Fishman mags( adjustable pole pieces)

Look, no links.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
Guys,

Will you please do us the favor of putting the proper name of the pick up you’re talking about so we don’t all have to click the stupid link to get the gist?

I’d recommend a Baggs M80 or a DiMarzio Angel or a Duncan SA6 magmic. Any of these can be found as bargains used and all will be more friendly to tune to your specific guitar than the Fishman mags( adjustable pole pieces)

Look, no links.

The first he mentioned was the Fishman Neo-D single or double coil, then the Rare Earth.

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 04-19-2018, 05:18 AM

Classic AGF! The guy wants a cheap pickup for a $200 guitar, picks out a perfectly acceptable option in the right price range, and you guys one up suggestions until you're at a selection more expensive than the guitar! Even I chimed in with my experience with the first up cost suggestion.

That single coil NeoD would be a fine pickup for casual use on a $200 guitar!
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 04-19-2018, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Classic AGF! The guy wants a cheap pickup for a $200 guitar, picks out a perfectly acceptable option in the right price range, and you guys one up suggestions until you're at a selection more expensive than the guitar! Even I chimed in with my experience with the first up cost suggestion.

That single coil NeoD would be a fine pickup for casual use on a $200 guitar!
We are good at spending other folks money. Ha!!
And your right ...the 39 dollar pup will work as
well.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:04 PM

The Rare Earth Humbucking pickup is a good inexpensive option, it will work fine. It's easy to install, has good output, a fingerpick/flat-pick voicing switch, good string balance with acoustic strings, and long battery life.

I keep one in my car as a backup just in case any pickup fails. Here is my very first full time gigging acoustic guitar a Martin SP0015TR that I bought back in 2002 and I still have a Rare Earth Humbucking in the soundhole of it (although it's a dual source working with a Fshman Matrix infinity under the saddle

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification