The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-14-2018, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Default CP Jaguar...

In short, love the guitar. LOATHE the junk bridge. The problem, as many internet threads reveal, are the intonation screws that “rattle” when strumming. I’ve used the clear fingernail polish trick and while it works O.K., I’m ocd and it really eats at me.

I’ve read through many discussion speaking to this issue. Stay trem, roller bridges, Mastery bridge, Buzz stop etc..

Some of these are a bit pricey and can involve some modification to the thimbles and studs, while others “apparently” change the tone of the guitar such as the Buzzstop.

Some say the 9.5 neck radius will pair with say...a GFS 12” radius roller bridge with very minimal issue, considering the radius difference. In fact I’ve read quite a few threads on that. But in typical interent fashion you find opposing statements saying the roller saddles “rollers” rattle. So in essence you’re trading one rattle for another.

I love the way the guitar plays and feels. I do have .11’s on it. And, in the two live settings I’ve used it in I’ve not had any issue with strings jumping off the saddle. So there’s that.

Anyone have any suggestions for an easy and stable solution. I don’t really want to have to change stud sizes, or get the “thimble” out. I’d prefer a drop in saddle that will work the existing studs/thimbles.

While the clear fingernail polish is a “solution”, I’d prefer something a bit more permanent.

Right now I’m going to have to break the G saddle lose to adjust intonation as I’ve noticed it’s a bit off. Would be nice to be able to adjust without having to re clear coat screws when done.

Ay help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

PT
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 04-16-2018, 04:18 AM

My bridge has wire on the screws. Good luck!

Old 04-16-2018, 10:05 AM

As you note, a lot of folks swap bridges on Jaguars. It is a unique design, conceived in a different playing-style era, and so different from what folks are used to that the just replace them.

Here's what I did on my Jaguar. "Reverse" shimmed the neck (increased neck angle), raised the bridge to suit the new neck angle, and used Graph Tech Jaguar/Jazzmaster "String Saver" saddles in the original bridge. I'm able to use a .010 string set on mine. My Jazzmaster is the J Mascis model, which comes with a Tune-O-Matic type bridge already installed.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 04-20-2018, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

After more research I decided to try the roller bridge from Guitar Fetish. It arrived today. Set the intonation. Dropped the string height to my preferred string height. Tuned and rechecked intonation. Perfect. Absolutely no buzzing/rattling like the orig bridge. Intonation screws are nice and tight, unlike the Fender trash bridge.

Funny how less than $30 made a great guitar even better. I know these CP aren’t vintage American made, but for the cost Fender can’t put in a decent bridge? Come on. Anyway, rant done lol.

If you have a CP Jazz/Jag this is the fix for rattling bridges. To me, it has a bit better resonance, and the strings sit nicely in the rollers. Even with .11’s. I “dug in” to make sure the strings didn’t jump off the rollers. They did not.

If the CP does have a 9.5 radius neck and bridge (which I believe Fender states it does), going to a bridge with a 12 degree radius impacted nothing. At least from what I’ve experienced.

I know some have debated saying the orig bridge on these had a radius of 12 degrees as well. Others say they’re 9.5. Either way this is a direct drop in replacement you can use without changing the thimbles or studs.

Hope this helps any CP Jazz/Jag owners as there’s a wealth of opinion on how to remedy this issue.
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars