The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-31-2018, 09:57 AM

Default Cordoba C-5 string fuzz

Hi all. My recently purchased C-5 is beautiful and sounds great but my 4th (D) string fuzzes a little. I loosened it to move the string over a little so it doesn't touch any wood and can't see that it is fuzzing on the frets. I think it has D'addario normal tension strings. I need advice on strings, don't know the difference between nylon and carbon, normal and high other than the sound will be different. I also read that the strut rod can be adjusted to change the bow in the neck. Is this something I should be able to do ? Don't want to wreck my new baby !!!! Any thoughts ? Thanks, Ken
Old 01-31-2018, 05:09 PM

Uros Baric does a great job answering the carbon vs nylon part of your question.

As for normal vs high, the normals can be a bit quieter and sweeter and easier to vibrato, and easier to fret with a softer feel. High tensions can be brighter and louder and punchier and the feel is stiffer. It's a personal preference...experimenting is the only way you'll know what is right with you as well as the guitar. Perhaps be prepared to go through a few sets of strings till you find whats right for you and the guitar.

Just be careful when comparing different string manufacturers, there is no industry standard defining is normal or high or light tension, and for what one company calls normal, it could be higher in tension than what another company calls high. Strings by Mail lists the tensions in lbs on the more common strings so you can do your own math and compare.

I'll let someone else answer about the truss rods, I prefer not to mess with them and my Burguet doesn't have one.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:50 AM

Okay, lets dig deeper & get some more details on your "4th String Fuzzes" long before talking about making changes to the truss rod.

Does the fuzz occur when a note is played on the 4th string anywhere on the fretboard or only in a few spots on the fretboard?

Its a possibility that you have a few high frets causing the "fuzz".

Adjusting the truss rod is going to make an impact on the other 5 strings playability.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagy View Post
Hi all. My recently purchased C-5 is beautiful and sounds great but my 4th (D) string fuzzes a little. I loosened it to move the string over a little so it doesn't touch any wood and can't see that it is fuzzing on the frets. I think it has D'addario normal tension strings. I need advice on strings, don't know the difference between nylon and carbon, normal and high other than the sound will be different. I also read that the strut rod can be adjusted to change the bow in the neck. Is this something I should be able to do ? Don't want to wreck my new baby !!!! Any thoughts ? Thanks, Ken
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 02-01-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagy View Post

https://allstringsnylon.com/asn/d-string-buzz/
Old 02-02-2018, 10:18 AM

Thanks for the info. I have the D string fuzz from open string through the 3rd fret, diminishing in volume as I go up. It sounds like it is coming from the tuner/ neck area, not at the nut or frets. I can't really hear it on the 4th fret. The looser winding of that string sounds like a possibility but I haven't had time to try that yet.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:28 AM

Don't adjust the truss rod until you know why you are adjusting the truss rod.

hunter
Old 02-04-2018, 12:47 AM

Sometimes the relief will adjust itself on a new guitar simply by the string tension when it's tuned- Don't be afraid to adjust the truss rod, but search the procedure on the net or in a book first, and do it by small degrees- never forcing the allen wrench any more than it will easily move- a half to three quarter turn can be normal, and 1/4 turn increments can become more possible later as it all settles in. Just don't force it.

I think you need to really examine it more closely visually, and also sight down the fretboard from the end to see if that is flat or tilting. If it's flat, then probably a truss adjustment is in order. If i'ts tilted and skewed to the side, the truss rod may need loosening.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter View Post
Don't adjust the truss rod until you know why you are adjusting the truss rod.

hunter
I agree with this post.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:03 PM

C5 should have high tension strings
seagull mjm6
alvarez mfa66CE
recording king ro-310
Taylor 312ce IBANEZ AF95FM
Old 02-13-2018, 02:00 AM
Charter Member

Could you possibly have a loose or defective tuner? What happens if you press on the bass side tuners? Does the buzz go away?

I thought I had a tuner issue on a guitar so swapped them all out, turned out the truss rod was loose at the headstock, the adjustment was on the neck block, I couldn't get it get it sorted so I turned it into a birdhouse, but it was a very cheap Olympia parlor.

I'd go check the diagnostic pages at frets.com. You can also learn all about setup and truss rods.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical