The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 11-11-2017, 09:10 AM

Default audio-technica PRO-35 clip on mic on my archtop

Last night was our first show of a 7 week run of Tim Rushlow's Big Band at The Nashville Palace. Tried something new with my archtop. I used an audio-technica PRO 35 cardioid condenser clip on mic attached to the tail piece of my L-5 (see photo). I wanted to use an LR Baggs Para-Acoustic DI for EQ and muting, but to do this I had to place a phantom power adapter (only $34) between the mic and the Baggs DI. The phantom power adapter is a small (3" x 3" x 2") box with and XLR in, an XLR out, and a 110v transformer. It sends phantom power to the mic and audio to the Baggs DI (I used a cable with XLR on one end and 1/4" on the other.

I also had my L-5 plugged into my Roland amp. I kept the volume pot on my L-5 at zero when using the mic and if i needed the electric/pickup tone, I'd roll my volume up and turn down the Baggs DI.

The band...

My guitars. The Guild archtop was a backup. I could quickly move the clip on mic that that guitar if needed.

The audio-technica PRO 35 attached to my L-5...

My two LR Baggs DI's (sitting on a homemade stand made of 4" PVC with a shower drain on each end which I spray painted black).

The phantom power adapter...

Last edited by 815C; 11-11-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:47 PM

I have been looking into how I could make my archtop dual source like this. I have various preamps and a few small mics sitting around but the best of them, my DPA feeds back too much. I might have to give this a try. Did you try various locations on your archtop. And why did you choose this spot for the mic? Thanks for the post.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 11-21-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
I have been looking into how I could make my archtop dual source like this. I have various preamps and a few small mics sitting around but the best of them, my DPA feeds back too much. I might have to give this a try. Did you try various locations on your archtop. And why did you choose this spot for the mic? Thanks for the post.
Actually the tone is a bit better with the mic placed about half way between the treble F hole and the strings.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:08 PM

I'm always stoked to see people seeing that amplifying an acoustic archtop with a microphone instead of some kind of transducers is actually viable.

That said, I find that placement of the amp/monitor crucial in avoiding feedback. I'm glad you found a placement that worked out.

1932 Gibson L-5
1939 Gibson L-5
1937 Gibson ES-150
2012 National Style 1 (German Silver)
2004 Eastman 805 non-cut
2002 John LeVoi 12-fret Petite Bouche
2016 Waterloo WL-14 LTR
1939 Gibson EH-185
Vintage '47 VA-185G
Old 01-18-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 815C View Post
Actually the tone is a bit better with the mic placed about half way between the treble F hole and the strings.
I like the tone of mine placed just behind the bridge.

Over the f hole for me is way too boomy.

You can't see it but you can hear it in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w_TCx2KNQI

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops