The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 06-04-2015, 10:06 AM

Default Kalamazoo repair questions

Hey all,
Several years ago I picked up an old archtop. I'm 99% sure it's an old Kalamazoo. Beautiful spruce top and I love the neck.
The arch back has some cracks and there is some buzz that I assume is coming from a loose brace inside.
I've toyed with removing that back to see if I can eliminate the buzz. My fear is that this would require replacing the back. I'm a woodworker so I feel confident that I could replace it with a flat back reasonably well. My question is would this ruin the sound of the guitar? Would it ruin the value of the guitar? Any advice?
Thanks
Old 06-04-2015, 07:19 PM

Replacing the back would surely change the sound, but whether or not it "ruin" it would be for you to decide. On the question of value, you need to know exactly what you have before you can determine its current value - as well as how it would be affected by the modifications you're contemplating.

That said, I'm not sure whether or not all Kalamazoo models had the Kalamazoo brand on the headstock, but I'd be inclined to think they probably did.

Pics might help someone here to put a positive ID on your guitar.

Mark

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops