The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-16-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyingsea View Post
Other than being thin and more clinical sounding (which is personally why I don't play them any longer), they can have intonation issues more so than a typical nylon string. Pretty much all builders are going to setup a guitar for standard nylon strings. You might need a compensated saddle to get a carbon string to intonate correctly but it depends on the string and guitar ultimately.
No way! Why should they have intonation problems in comparison with clear nylon? Nonsense.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Thanks for the addl carbon info from both sides. My Ramirez R1 has gorgeous bass but no action in the nylons. Huge and bell-like with little attack or resonance, which really limits me on modern stuff. Thinner and more sterile may be beneficial, though intonation is a big concern as this is for recording only. Will have to give them a try.

BTW, not sure if Oasis is still giving away strings. I never heard back. No biggie, but wanted to give a heads up.
Update to the above, a set of Oasis carbon treble strings arrived in the mail today (thx Bill, thx for the tip Waddy!). I recorded some lines with the old, very lightly used strings (I believe they were Savarez red), then strung the trebles of the carbon set and gave them a couple hours to stretch. I left the old bass strings as a point of reference. The carbons are physically thinner but have much more tension.

While the highs don't ring in overtones as much, and the attack is less percussive at the transient, the Oasis have a much more solid fundamental. The bass is stronger but in a round, tight way. The note is also more pure with the Oasis and doesn't have the subtle warble and perhaps imperfect harmonic layering of the previous strings (which was admittedly very subtle). Interestingly enough, the Oasis actually corrected an intonation issue I had on the G, which must have been related to the nylon set I was using because I only noticed it last week.
I can't decide which I like better because I miss the shimmer but the focus is much better now. You could say that the Oasis have better clarity, though it's not what we usually refer to as "clarity" (high frequency response). The carbons are superior when playing busier runs, though slow arpeggios and such are a little more sweet with the nylons. Might try light tension carbons next to see if I can possibly keep that focus while opening up the top end.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:35 PM

Boy, will I ever get to the level of you guys. I am just starting to try nylons but you have it down to an exact science.

I am really impressed!
Old 11-19-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Update to the above, a set of Oasis carbon treble strings arrived in the mail today (thx Bill, thx for the tip Waddy!). I recorded some lines with the old, very lightly used strings (I believe they were Savarez red), then strung the trebles of the carbon set and gave them a couple hours to stretch. I left the old bass strings as a point of reference. The carbons are physically thinner but have much more tension.

While the highs don't ring in overtones as much, and the attack is less percussive at the transient, the Oasis have a much more solid fundamental. The bass is stronger but in a round, tight way. The note is also more pure with the Oasis and doesn't have the subtle warble and perhaps imperfect harmonic layering of the previous strings (which was admittedly very subtle). Interestingly enough, the Oasis actually corrected an intonation issue I had on the G, which must have been related to the nylon set I was using because I only noticed it last week.
I can't decide which I like better because I miss the shimmer but the focus is much better now. You could say that the Oasis have better clarity, though it's not what we usually refer to as "clarity" (high frequency response). The carbons are superior when playing busier runs, though slow arpeggios and such are a little more sweet with the nylons. Might try light tension carbons next to see if I can possibly keep that focus while opening up the top end.
Give them time!
Old 11-19-2013, 10:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyc View Post
Boy, will I ever get to the level of you guys. I am just starting to try nylons but you have it down to an exact science.

I am really impressed!
ricky,

I was thinking much the same thing. Guess I've spent too many years on a firing range. The fine edge of my hearing is so abused I can't hear any of this stuff.

"...don't ring in overtones as much..."

"...less percussive at the transient..."

"...more solid fundamental..."

"...the subtle warble and perhaps imperfect harmonic layering..."

I don't even know what most of the conversation is about. This is a language I done even begin to understand - LOL! Think I'll just keep on playing. (smile)

Dave
Old 11-19-2013, 11:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paikon View Post
Give them time!
Ah, will do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
Guess I've spent too many years on a firing range. The fine edge of my hearing is so abused I can't hear any of this stuff.
Lol, yea, looking back I now realize that was more shop talk than forum chat. I'm an audio engineer and every day I'm talking with people about minutia between different types of equipment in the recording and post-production process. It's admittedly a bit of hyper-focusing but that last 10% ends up getting magnified to a huge range for those who spend their 40hrs a week grinding away at it.

When I go to the range I'm wearing double ear protection (foam plugs + headphones). Saves my high frequency hearing but doesn't stop the 44 from rattling my bones like a tin shed in a storm.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Bowie,

I sure hope you didn't take my comment as criticism. I believed all that stuff (sound nuances) is there, I just can't hear it.

Dave
Old 11-20-2013, 10:05 AM

We shot competitive trap for 18 years and I flew jets for 39 years. I'm very lucky that I still have pretty good hearing.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
Bowie,

I sure hope you didn't take my comment as criticism. I believed all that stuff (sound nuances) is there, I just can't hear it.

Dave
Oh, none taken, at all. Thanks for the courtesy though. I was just sort of laughing at myself because I've gotten so into the habit of tech-speak that I didn't realize how convoluted it sounded in the context of this forum until I went back and read it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical