The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 06-05-2008, 08:27 AM

Default Resonator guitar

I wanted to try some slide guitar and was wondering if anyone could recommend a round neck resonator for under $1K.

Also, if anyone could explain the difference between a spider and a biscuit bridge(?), I'd certainly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Steve
Old 06-05-2008, 09:09 AM

I asked the very same question on another forum and was told this by a guy going by the name of Slidingwolf: -

The traditional reply is biscuit cone for blues, spider for country/bluegrass, but, as with everything in life, there are no hard and fast rules. Eric Clapton plays blues on a Dobro (spider cone) and sounds pretty fine to me.

The difference between biscuit and spider is that with a biscuit bridge, the top of the cone (the narrowest bit) joins at the bridge. With a spider cone, the cone is the other way round and the "spider" is the mechanism that attaches the rim of the cone to the bridge.

As for a resonator less than $1K, I have heard a few clips of Republic resonators that sound pretty good (there are some being sold directly on Ebay) - but there is quite a difference between these and National Reso-phonics. You could purchase a lower priced guitar and replace the cone with a National Cone, the cone being the most important part of the reso.

Last edited by rodders; 06-05-2008 at 09:10 AM. Reason: bad spelling
Old 06-05-2008, 09:13 AM

Default Try Gold Tone by Beard

Great guitar for the money. Michael Kelly makes a decent one in your price range. A biscuit cone has a fiber type round 'biscuit' under the bridge saddle that sits directly on the cone. These are seen mostly on metal bodies like my National. A spider cone has aluminum 'legs' that fan out to the edges of the cone. My son has two Beards and prefers the sound of the spider cone. Try both and choose to suit your taste.
78 Tele
70 Deluxe Reverb
Old 06-05-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
I wanted to try some slide guitar and was wondering if anyone could recommend a round neck resonator for under $1K.
If you're not a brand snob, these are very well made and an excellent value:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ELAID=26044787
Old 06-05-2008, 11:39 AM

The Goldtone Beard guitars are great. I have a squareneck that is a lot of fun to play.

Bryan
Old 06-05-2008, 11:54 AM

I've been checking into cheaper alternatives to National and these Republics seem like a good value:

http://www.republicguitars.com/tricones.html

The price for each is under the guitar photo but they use a dark font so you have to look carefully. It's quite a bit under your budget.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan T View Post
The Goldtone Beard guitars are great. I have a squareneck that is a lot of fun to play.

Bryan
Ditto I have a round neck and it suits me fine.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:14 PM

I play a Flinthill Round Neck that sounds great!
It's a Pac Rim import that sales for about $400.00.
Well worth looking at.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:31 PM

Watch ebay and CraigsList for a used roundneck National or Continental. I'd even watch for Amistar. These companies' guitars hold their value very well and have good reputations. There was a National M2 in San Diego's CL not that long ago. May still be there and it was right at your limit. Even though times are tough, I still say buy what you can afford and keep an eye out for guitars that will hold their value should you decide it's not your thang! PM me if you have any specific questions...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments