The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 06-03-2008, 07:25 AM

I picked up the mando about 10 years ago and haven't looked back. Guitar has been a secondary instrument ever since. You'll love it.

There's a Gibson A-9 for $800 on mandocafe right now. I'd add a couple bills to your budget and get a fine quality instrument you'll be happy with.

If your budget is fixed, I would also recommend the mid-mos. I, personally, have never like the KY mando's. I'm sure there are some good ones out there. I just never played one.

Good luck!
Old 06-03-2008, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen View Post
I picked up the mando about 10 years ago and haven't looked back. Guitar has been a secondary instrument ever since. You'll love it.

There's a Gibson A-9 for $800 on mandocafe right now. I'd add a couple bills to your budget and get a fine quality instrument you'll be happy with.

If your budget is fixed, I would also recommend the mid-mos. I, personally, have never like the KY mando's. I'm sure there are some good ones out there. I just never played one.

Good luck!
I don't know, early MIJ Kentuckys are pretty good if you can find one.

Anyway, at the price range mentioned I'd throw in for a Tacoma M-1. Being a flattop it's great for folk/celtic music and has great neck feel for a guitarist as well. Fender pulled the plug on them so as solid wood American made mandos, they'll hold their value. I've picked up an M-1 and an M-2 this year and I'm really happy with them.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

In your price range, be sure to get the instrument properly set up. This is critical for a mandolin, as a poor setup can make it almost unplayable. What type of music will you be using it for? If it's bluegrass, then you probably want an arch-topped mando with f-holes. An A-style will cost considerably less than an F-style (with the scroll on the bass side) for equivalent quality. Eastman or Kentucky can be good values but if possible, play before you buy because they can vary. If you're playing old-time, folk, Irish, etc., a round-hole mandolin might be best. That's the niche of Big Muddy, which is all solid wood and US made. In any case, expect to upgrade after a period of time. While these are all decent mandolins, experience strongly supports the idea that mandolinists tend to upgrade as their preferences become more refined.

The fingering is actually pretty logical. One thing you'll notice is that even though the tuning is different, similar notes will often be sort of "in the same place" on mandolin as on guitar. Because the strings are tuned in fifths, the note under your ring finger (for example) will be at a higher fret on a mandolin but will sort of feel like it's in the right place, relative to guitar. This is a terrible explanation but you'll see what I mean as you mess around with the instrument. If anything, the uniform mandolin tuning is easier to learn than guitar's because you can always shift over one string and play exactly the same pattern in a different key.

Any new instrument will present some challenges but stick with it. It's a fun little instrument and will amply reward your efforts.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments