The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-21-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
I already feel nostalgic...

Keith Urban, who is an amazing guitarist and performer, sounds completely bland and flat when trading licks with John.

JM is such an incredible player. For rock/blues, he may well be #1 in my book.
I think Keith just didn't want to upstage JM... beside Keith got Nicole Kidman!
Old 04-22-2018, 07:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
Maybe if Keith has an SS he would have stole the show without even trying

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 04-22-2018, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

This is interesting. OMO seems to be far more similarity in overall tone character than difference , There is some difference but it is pretty subtle. I did a fair amount of noting the exact minute and second where specific parts of riffs are, and quickly going back and forth, Honestly although there are some slight differences . I am guessing that in a blindfolded ABC test one might be able to hear and note differences , but I would guess that most people probably could not consistently identify which was which guitar (granted the differences in the room might be a bit more noticeable but the reviewer even states they are slight) . At least being able to definitely say that is a the Fender , or Suhr, or SS is beyond my capability, which means for me I could probably be quite happy with any of the three (lucky me)

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 04-22-2018 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
I may apologize eventually but it's still an ugly guitar...

To be fair, I have no doubt that the PRS Sliver Skyy has a better fit and finish than anything that Fender puts out. But that's beside the point...

I also take the alleged wait lists with a grain of salt. Not sure if any of you are familiar with Uncle Tetsu, a Japanese cheesecake joint that used to have ridiculous lineups and equally ridiculous policies (you were only allowed to buy one cake at a time).

The sad part is that their cheesecakes weren't all that good. Eventually the faux novelty wore off and nowadays there's typically no one when I walk by the store in Arcadia, CA. Anyway, I digress.

A faux Strat with a slanted PRS headstock is about as elegant and timeless as a faux Les Paul with a Strat headstock. That's the bottom line.
I agree with you, Mau. I also think it's going to be a big seller, just not you and I. I'll keep my '98 CE-22.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:02 PM

Slightly off topic and probably in need of another thread, but all I ever wanted pretty much from the beginning of my guitar journey was a guitar (Stratocaster to begin with then a Telecaster) with the name Fender on the headstock. (I didn't really care if there were other/better guitars out there).

Had the same narrow view for Martin acoustics. (All I ever wanted was a Martin and if I couldn't afford my favourite D18 then I would settle for something else more affordable again, even though there were potentially other/better guitars out there).

Maybe it's just me.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
Slightly off topic and probably in need of another thread, but all I ever wanted pretty much from the beginning of my guitar journey was a guitar (Stratocaster to begin with then a Telecaster) with the name Fender on the headstock. (I didn't really care if there were other/better guitars out there).

Had the same narrow view for Martin acoustics. (All I ever wanted was a Martin and if I couldn't afford my favourite D18 then I would settle for something else more affordable again, even though there were potentially other/better guitars out there).

Maybe it's just me.
Oh it is by no means just you, there are definitely a big groups of people that are often or strictly brand oriented, for better or worse. I tend to be that way with Apple computers, and BMW Mini Coopers .

Like many boomers I grew up wishing I could afford a Martin D28 but having to settle for more budget range guitars for many many years. When I finally could afford one and set out to buy one. I started playing many but in that journey after playing probably 100 or more Martins I ended up with a Taylor 810 instead.
Then when I finally 2 years ago decided to get back into playing electric having dabbled briefly playing friends electrics in the late 60's
But that long of absence and years of life experience left me with no brand expectation or loyalty per se. And after auditioning about 15 or so Fenders, all it took was one sit down audition with my PRS CE 24 and I knew that would be my first electric and I will keep it .
Now I still am considering either an American Elite strat and or Tele, but am willing to wait to play a Silver Sky first.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 04-22-2018, 10:44 PM

I've only ever been brand orientated when it came to guitars. (I think I wanted to own a little bit of my favourite American guitar history more so than being a brand snob). Just about all my favourite guitarists played either brand guitar with a few exceptions also.

Couldn't care less about brands for anything else.

Last edited by Steel and wood; 04-22-2018 at 10:52 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
I've only ever been brand orientated when it came to guitars. (I think I wanted to own a little bit of my favourite American guitar history more so than being a brand snob). Just about all my favourite guitarists played either brand guitar with a few exceptions also.

Couldn't care less about brands for anything else.
Well let clarify my "tendency" with both Apple and Mini is because of the overall quality of build, performance and use experience related to my particular wants and needs, much more so than any "Brand Name" loyalty .

Which I suppose is ultimately what led me to both PRS and Taylor.
While have definitely been a big fan of various artists and their music. I have never paid much attention to the specific tools used , nor wanted to copy or emulate their specific sound, and I do not care that much about, and have no desire own a bit of history.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 04-23-2018 at 07:36 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
This is interesting. OMO seems to be far more similarity in overall tone character than difference , There is some difference but it is pretty subtle....
They did sound different - but not more so than 3 different Fender Strats might sound. I wonder if he could have make them even more similar by slightly tweaking the EQ and gain knobs on the amp.

Near the end, the guy says something about liking the feel of the PRS. Again, there's so many different strats that have different feels. And slightly different setups. In the end, it all comes down to personal preference.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 04-23-2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Well let clarify my "tendency" with both Apple and Mini is because of the overall quality of build, performance and use experience related to my particular wants and needs, much more so than any "Brand Name" loyalty .

Which I suppose is ultimately what led me to both PRS and Taylor.
While have definitely been a big fan of various artists and their music. I have never paid much attention to the specific tools used , nor wanted to copy or emulate their specific sound, and I do not care that much about, and have no desire own a bit of history.
I get what you're saying Kev and you're right, there's quality to be had in certain brands.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808K View Post
Welp! I bought a Fender Strat today...so I’m outta this thread!

I do believe that the PRS Silver Sky will make a lot of players really happy. I’m sure it’s a great guitar, and I might own one later. Never say never!
Which Strat did you get? Do tell...And pics or it didn't happen.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Thought this was interesting right down to the appetizer tray

The appetizer tray actually looks quite good. And I just had dinner not so long ago.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
Hmmm...

https://www.ranker.com/list/john-may...lebrityhookups
Old 04-23-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Maybe if Keith has an SS he would have stole the show without even trying
Good one... lol
Old 04-23-2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I agree with you, Mau. I also think it's going to be a big seller, just not you and I. I'll keep my '98 CE-22.
Yeah I played my CU22 so much that the frets were gone in no time.

I guess he's a bit radioactive now but when I was a teenager the PRS poster boy was Ted Nugent.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars