The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-29-2018, 12:47 PM

Default Kenny Hill Player neck profile?

Okay, I'm tempted to leave my beloved Cordoda GK Pro for a Kenny Hill player cutaway

NOTE: I'm not looking at the Crossover; I'm interested in the 50-51mm nut width and a 640 or 650 scale. But I haven't been able to get one in my hands to try out.

#1 My only complaint about the Cordoba GK is the Flamenco nature of it... It rears it's head in acoustic sounds when I don't want it.

Reportedly, the Kenny Hill Players have little or no Flamenco sound to them

Are there any Kenny Hill owners here that can chime in on the neck profile on the Kenny Hill's or maybe even compare it to Cordoba's?

Thanks

Dave
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 01-29-2018, 03:05 PM

I have a 2009, 650mm scale, 50 mm nut-width New World Player, and at the first fret, the profile is as shown in the image below. The depth of the arc at that point is 18-19 mm.

Contacting Hill Co. directly ( [email protected] ) might get you more current and more extensive information. I've written to them several times and they are very good at responding to emails.

This page shows Cordoba's neck profiles, and I would say that my Player's profile is similar to the C shape, which I believe is what your GK has. From what I can tell, the Hill Player's neck would be similar to what you have now.

Regarding the Player's sound it's hard to tell how your'll sense it and it will change, or course, with the strings used. I've gone back and forth between normal and high tension Oasis GPX strings and the high tensions definitely add punch. Nevertheless, it still can sound mellow.

I don't play classical pieces with it but do fingerpick. Here's a sample tune with the high tension strings so you can hear the sound. It has a Baggs Anthem SL in it, but this recording is unamplified.

2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley

Last edited by lpa53; 01-29-2018 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

I have a Hill Player 615mm and two other high-end Hill guitars. And I've played probably a couple dozen Cordoba guitars in shops. I'm quite sensitive to neck profile, and I've never noticed much of a difference. Kenny had a lot to do with the design of some Cordoba guitars, so I guess they carry his DNA.
-Bob
Old 01-29-2018, 09:52 PM

I echo the idea of getting in touch with Kenny Hill’s shop.

I have the Player 650 non-cutaway in my signature. I have not played a Player cutaway, but have played several Cordoba GK’s.

I’d say the Player is a modern classical guitar C shape. The GK should be thinner given its more flamenco style build.

But will there be a huge difference in feel? Take a look at whatever neck specs you can get, scale length, body depth, etc.

If you can, try them out or buy with a return policy.

Good luck & have fun!
Old 01-30-2018, 08:01 AM

Thanks everyone!!

I've been in touch with Kenny Hill as well as Savage to get further details & clarification on options.

It looks like getting a 50 or 51mm nut width might be a special order or I'd have to have my luthier change the nut after purchase. The classical cutaway's are available in 48 or 52mm right now.

As of 2017, the Cutaway classical's are only available in 640 scale. My hunch is that moving from 650 to 640 would make a lot of stretches much easier...

Dave
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical